MapTool 1.3 Development Build 41

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

thecyberwolfe wrote:
BigO wrote:The answer to light, the macro-verse, and everything.
I don't know which is worse - the fact that you said that, or that I didn't get to it first :)
The saddest part of all is that I got it :roll:

I need to get a life :D

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Possible bug but may be expected behavior

when I do an eval of zero, I get an error

Code: Select all

{eval(0)}
Could not execute the command: Illegal argument type java.math.BigDecimal, expecting java.lang.String
There also seems to be an issue with quotes in the new [] syntax. In most cases I gave up and went back to the {} but in the case of a damage macro I would really like to make use of the tooltip verification.

Here's an example

{if(Rhit,' for <font> ','')}
[if(Rhit,if(Roll>=TargetNumber+4,eval(MeleeDamage)+d6e,eval(MeleeDamage)),'')]
{if(Rhit,' damage </font>','')}
I get the following results if Rhit is true

for »'>11 damage 
If I change the single quotes to a number, like 0, I get the following.

for 12 damage 
but get a pesky zero at the end of the string if the attack misses

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Init Panel Issue:

Last night was my first opportunity to really put the init panel to the test and it went rather well. There were some small issues, most of which I hope to work out with macros.

But one issue was something we had to deal with every round. Since we roll init every round, when you get to the last pc/npc in the list and the next button is pressed to advance the round increment, the checkbox moves to the first person in the list. If that person is a PC it automatically announces in the chat window that they have initiative, when what I really want it to do is advance the round counter and allow everyone to roll initiative so I can re-sort and actually start the new round.

My suggestion would be to have the init panel do a "Round Announcement" and remove the check-mark after it is advanced off the bottom of the list. This will give GM's and PC's a null moment to do end-of-round and beginning-of-round house-keeping before the first person on the list is told to "go." Then, when everyone is ready for the next round to really start, the GM would click the next button and the check-mark would appear on the first token in the list.

As an aside, it'd be great if we could set a custom round announcement message in a fashion similar to the function request I suggested here that would allow players to set their own initiative announcement.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

One other Init panel issue...

At the start of a new combat, when no check-mark is in the panel, if you try to use the [nextInitiative()] function you get this error:

Could not execute the command: -1
Once you've got the check-mark in the panel though, you can use the function normally.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:...Since we roll init every round, when you get to the last pc/npc in the list and the next button is pressed to advance the round increment, the checkbox moves to the first person in the list...
My thought was to put a hidden NPC token on the map that was named End of Round. This would always sit at the bottom (in your case give it a 0 Init value) and let's me have a stopping point to take care of end of the round bookkeeping.

Same thing can work for those playing the Hero system. Call it Post-12 Recovery.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Love the init panel!

Did have one minor bug. During the start of one combat, myself and another player rolled init like a split second before the DM added the badguys. When he did, myself and the other player dissapeared from the list.

It was poignant, cause I know I rolled a 15 the first time, and only a 5 the second, giving that annoying hexxer his turn before me...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:My thought was to put a hidden NPC token on the map that was named End of Round. This would always sit at the bottom (in your case give it a 0 Init value) and let's me have a stopping point to take care of end of the round bookkeeping.

Same thing can work for those playing the Hero system. Call it Post-12 Recovery.
Not a bad idea, but in general, players are used to rolling their inits and declaring their actions at the beginning of the new round, not at the end of the current round. It's doable, but just doesn't feel quite right.

I actually ended up circumventing the init panel's round # display and using my old macro to make a next round announcement, asking players to declare their actions and roll init... but then it didn't jive with the round number in the init panel (because I had to leave the check-mark on the last token until all new inits were in, bodies were removed, and spell effects removed.) Then once everything was done I advanced the init panel, incrementing the round# to match my macro announcement.

Totally doable, but it really felt like a work-around and at that point I wished I could just turn off the init panel round # display so as to not cause confusion.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

UntoldGlory wrote:Did have one minor bug. During the start of one combat, myself and another player rolled init like a split second before the DM added the badguys. When he did, myself and the other player dissapeared from the list.
Was the DM, perhaps, using a macro to start combat that had a remove-all (or similar) function in it? If so, it wouldn't have been a bug so much as the players jumping the gun before he could initialize the window for the new battle.

It was poignant, cause I know I rolled a 15 the first time, and only a 5 the second, giving that annoying hexxer his turn before me...
Someone accidentally hit their init button twice last night at one point, getting a similar lower result. As a quick fix, I just went in and manually changed their init to the first/higher roll. So, just in case it happens to you again, remember you can manually change the number and try lobbying your GM to allow it. ;)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Full Bleed wrote:
Phergus wrote:My thought was to put a hidden NPC token on the map that was named End of Round. This would always sit at the bottom (in your case give it a 0 Init value) and let's me have a stopping point to take care of end of the round bookkeeping.

Not a bad idea, but in general, players are used to rolling their inits and declaring their actions at the beginning of the new round, not at the end of the current round. It's doable, but just doesn't feel quite right.
Then how about go the other end and have a dummy token with a huge init value that stays at the top, at least in the mean time.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Yeah, I actually have 4 different ones. One at the top for start of round activities, two that separate the unengaged PCs & NPCS plus the end of round marker.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Full Bleed wrote:
UntoldGlory wrote:Did have one minor bug. During the start of one combat, myself and another player rolled init like a split second before the DM added the badguys. When he did, myself and the other player dissapeared from the list.
Was the DM, perhaps, using a macro to start combat that had a remove-all (or similar) function in it? If so, it wouldn't have been a bug so much as the players jumping the gun before he could initialize the window for the new battle.
No, cause 3 other players had already added, and they did not *poof*

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 41

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:
GreenMan wrote: This is just a friendly reminder (to whomever has access) to request build 41 be added to the alternate download site at
Oops, thanks for the reminder. I usually remember, but I forgot this time
Updated
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

jfrazierjr wrote:Then how about go the other end and have a dummy token with a huge init value that stays at the top, at least in the mean time.
Good call.

And I have the perfect token:

:shock:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh-heh, cool.

I just got my DVDs of that old series a few weeks ago but I've been traveling too much to watch them. I got through about 4-5 episodes before I got barraged with work again...

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Full Bleed wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Then how about go the other end and have a dummy token with a huge init value that stays at the top, at least in the mean time.
Good call.

And I have the perfect token:

:shock:
Heh... Then you could use Craig's HUGE round X ASCII art to anounce the the beginning of the round number.....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Announcements”