MapTool 1.3 Development Build 54

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: MapTool 1.3 Development Build 54

Post by Veggiesama »

I too liked being able to double click on the token in the init panel and jump to it. However, I noticed it would also find tokens hidden behind fog, so it'd be better if it checked for ownership/GM first.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Amaril wrote: IIRC, there was a long discussion on the forums about selecting and focusing on the token via the init panel. The result was that double-clicking should do exactly that, and thus it was implemented. Not to sound accusatory, but to randomly undo that on a whim without consulting the community here seems a bit presumptuous. I think more caution should be taken before removing a function from the application.
I agree the function should remain, but let us not be too hard on Azhrei. He was already on the pointed end of a different but related issue. I would have felt bad had I been the recipient of that other post. No offense to Dorpond.

So on the heels of that other issue, maybe Azhrei acted in haste. However let us still assume his basic goodwill and good intentions.

The reason for that bit of code has now been explained to him, and I'm sure the decision to remove it will now be reconsidered.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Sektor
Kobold

Post by Sektor »

I have a serious problem trying to start up b54 with the launcher: I can't :shock: . I get the following exception:

Code: Select all

MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp>]
	at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
The launch file looks like:

<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  file(maptool-development.jnlp.txt) [<a href='function.file'>function.file</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/home/rptools/public_html/ReleaseManifest.php</b> on line <b>12</b><br />
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jnlp spec="1.5+" codebase="http://download.rptools.net/">
    <information>
        <title></title>
        <vendor>http://download.rptools.net/</vendor>
	<icon href="http://www.rptools.net/images/logo/RPTools_Map_Logo_403.png"/>
        <offline-allowed/>
        <shortcut online="false">
            <desktop />
            <menu submenu="RPTools" />
        </shortcut>
    </information>

<security>
        <all-permissions />
    </security>

<resources>
        <j2se version="1.5+" java-vm-args="-Xmx512m -Xms64m -Xss2m"/>
        <jar href="" />
    </resources>
    <application-desc main-class="">
    </application-desc>
</jnlp>
I can only choose to quit from there.

When I try to run the downloadable version (which I never have gotten to work in the first place), it shows the window frame, but renders nothing in it. It simply stays in a frozen state, but I can click the close button.

For reference, I'm running it in Windows Vista Home Premium, with the latest java. Build 53 (or any earlier build, for that matter) had no problems; it's actually the first time I encounter this issue. Removing my .maptool directory also didn't help.

I would prefer to run it from the launcher, if possible, so if anyone can help me get the jnlp properly configured, then I would be very thankful ;)

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Paradox wrote:
Amaril wrote: IIRC, there was a long discussion on the forums about selecting and focusing on the token via the init panel. The result was that double-clicking should do exactly that, and thus it was implemented. Not to sound accusatory, but to randomly undo that on a whim without consulting the community here seems a bit presumptuous. I think more caution should be taken before removing a function from the application.
I agree the function should remain, but let us not be too hard on Azhrei. He was already on the pointed end of a different but related issue. I would have felt bad had I been the recipient of that other post. No offense to Dorpond.

So on the heels of that other issue, maybe Azhrei acted in haste. However let us still assume his basic goodwill and good intentions.

The reason for that bit of code has now been explained to him, and I'm sure the decision to remove it will now be reconsidered.
I didn't mean to come across so harshly, and I apologize if I did. It was supposed to be more of a suggestion to all contributors rather than finger pointing at anyone in particular.
Kristian

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Sektor wrote:I have a serious problem trying to start up b54 with the launcher: I can't :shock: . I get the following exception:

MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp>]
The launch looks broken, I'll look into it, thanks for the note!
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Amaril wrote: I didn't mean to come across so harshly, and I apologize if I did. It was supposed to be more of a suggestion to all contributors rather than finger pointing at anyone in particular.
All is well! :D

darn I am excited to see this coming together. Last night I met with the gaming group I am leaving behind and I described MapTools, the topology functions and vision blocking, and what I have been learning of the established campaign frameworks.. and we're all excited (actually cheering aloud) to actually continue the campaign after my impending move is over!

There is so much positive energy on these boards, that is what makes them great.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:
Sektor wrote:I have a serious problem trying to start up b54 with the launcher: I can't :shock: . I get the following exception:

The launch looks broken, I'll look into it, thanks for the note!
This should be fixed now

Maccwar
Cave Troll

Post by Maccwar »

trevor wrote:let me know what you find
So far I have failed to replicate the behaviour I was getting during my last session. I'll keep trying and see if I can track it down.

DevoDog
Dragon

Post by DevoDog »

I can't paste a token from one map to another map (or even the same map). I can cut or copy the token succesfully, but nothing happens when I try to paste the token to another map.

EDIT: The MENU commands for Cut/Copy/Paste aren't working. Ctrl-X/C and Ctrl-V ARE working.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Amaril wrote:IIRC, there was a long discussion on the forums about selecting and focusing on the token via the init panel. The result was that double-clicking should do exactly that, and thus it was implemented.
Yes, it seems there's a long thread discussing use cases around the time of 1.3.b41 in relation to the init panel.
Not to sound accusatory, but to randomly undo that on a whim without consulting the community here seems a bit presumptuous. I think more caution should be taken before removing a function from the application.
I wouldn't do that unless I thought it was something totally obvious, i.e. a bug.

In rereading my post, I can see how it was worded such that it sounds like I removed it in my patch. That's not what happened. I added a comment a few patches ago and I noticed recently that the actual code was gone. None of my patches removed that code.

Regardless, I agree that individual contributors shouldn't be modifying UI-related code without some community feedback. I think you can bet that anyone contemplating contributions to MapTool already spends an inordinate amount of time reading the forums; however, the code base is ultimately up to Trevor.

In any case, if something is removed that users care about I'm sure we'll hear about it quite loudly!

Good gaming!

Dark Thoughts
Giant

Post by Dark Thoughts »

Quick questions of the Windows.exe...

When setting the amount of RAM to be allotted to MapTool, should it be in multiples of 128? Or would 500 Mb (For Example) just as well as 512 Mb?

The stack is set at 2 by default. Can you give me some examples or reasons why this would ever need to be changed?

trevor

Post by trevor »

the exact amount shouldn't technically matter, so 500 vs 512 is fine. I think the coding world just gets used to working in powers of 2.

The stack size is directly related to the complexity of the macros you want to run. In RPTroll's macro world you need to have a 4m stack.

I'm tempted to bump up the default to 4m. 4m isn't even a drop in the bucket anymore. More like a drop of a drop.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

How will the stack size be affected when we switch to javascript? Have you been able to test any complex scripts in the version created by gil?

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

trevor wrote:I'm tempted to bump up the default to 4m. 4m isn't even a drop in the bucket anymore. More like a drop of a drop.
One thing I am still confused about: is the stack size simply the maximum an individual thread will scale up to, or is the memory pre-allocated in some way? In other words, if I set the stack size to something ridiculous like 20M, and I only used very simple macros that didn't need any more than 512k, would that 20M setting adversely affect MapTool in other ways, or will each thread only use as much as it needs to use?

But yeah, I alternated between 2M and 4M without any noticeable problems. Fortunately my latest framework version seems to run comfortably at 2M.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

cubeblue
Cave Troll

Post by cubeblue »

trevor wrote:I'm tempted to bump up the default to 4m. 4m isn't even a drop in the bucket anymore. More like a drop of a drop.
I totally support this. Are there any vocal detractors? I haven't seen this issue come much in my forum reading.
& So Forth a blog about dungeons & dragons & so forth. With a particular eye for virtual table-top play, 5e, and OSR themes.

Return to “Announcements”