The Girl in Glass

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

tomlib
Giant

Feb 27, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

Great session last night!

The macros are almost all working as I want and the players have a good feel for their organization. We did three combats, one of them long and complicated, and had an excellent role-playing session as the group saved a group of Gnoll pilgrims and then had to deal with their outlook on life.

See The Wiki for information about the Campaign

See The Recap for the latest session including screen captures.

I love MapTool,

Tom

tomlib
Giant

Mar 6, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

We had another session last night and it went pretty well. Some of my new automation tools didn't work as planned but basically MapTool was flawless.

We only had three players instead of the normal six so there was only one fairly big combat and the rest role-playing. I did my first truly set MapTool Role-play piece where I had macro buttons and speeches on about ten different people and there was some real fun. It's nice for me as a GM to simply click a button on a character and watch their speech appear rather than shuffling through papers trying to find it.

The group leveled again and we are now 5th level and almost done with the third adventure of the planned 18. The plot is really heating up and they've met almost all of the most important characters.

Wike Here

Recap Here

MapTool rocks!

TOm

tomlib
Giant

Mar 14, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

Another Saturday another Session!

We had one good combat and another short one along with a lot of role-playing.

I'm having some problems with my Skill Check macro in that the formula I use to determine the Skill Bonus is not doing math but concatinating strings. It's funny because all of the skills work except one but the formula is the same. I'm sure it is something silly I will figure out.

My new spell effects worked really well in place of my old auras. Especially effective is a macro I created to advance the Initiative. I use the macro to take care of a lot of bookkeeping that comes at the end of the round and it worked perfectly. I've got some more ideas I'll work on to keep improving it.

The group finished the 3rd Module is now back in Tanelorn City looking for rebellious sorts. They will hit 6th level after the next adventure.

MapTool rocks as always,

Tom

tomlib
Giant

March 20, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

We played another session last night.

There was only one easy combat and a ton of role-playing so MapTool was not tested to its maximum but it worked flawlessly.

The group is now 6th Level and into the 4th module of the campaign.

The plot is pretty well laid out at this point and the Heroic Tier is clearly about preventing Civil War within Tanelorn. In the offing is outside threats from Grelm and the Rock Lord which will make up the Paragon Tier and then there is the overarching quest to find out about the Girl in Glass herself.

But, I think things are going well. MapTool makes it lots easier.

Tom

tomlib
Giant

Mar 27, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

Another Saturday ... another session.

The group was a bit tired this week and we were not at our most active. We only did a couple of combats and not much role-playing. I had some mistakes in my macros that slowed us down but I've fixed the latest errors.

Sadly, this has me doing another complete re-write of the attack macro so that more work is done on the library token. It's not as major an overhaul as the others but does require me to fix all the attack macros in the game. Sigh. Things are getting increasingly automated though which is a good thing.

In the game the group found out that a Lizard Man assassin hired by the Dwarf Freedom Coalition is in town possibly to kill the Gray Lord or at least someone of importance. The internal plot against Tanelorn grows more serious by the day and the group faces a coming crisis!

Tom

tomlib
Giant

April 3, 2010 - Session

Post by tomlib »

Another week, another Session of the Campaign.

We had a couple of players under the weather but they soldiered through although we didn't accomplish a great deal. Two small combats and a bit of role-playing. They discovered the target of the assassination is the older son of the Gray Lord.

Meanwhile, we had a our first issue with MapTool in quite some time. During the second fight a player tried to target a token but was given a error message that that token couldn't be switched to by the targeting Library Macro. After this things began to bog down quickly with many java errors. We managed to finish the combat and then reboot the system and the player who originally got the error was able to login and run macros which I could see but when he moved his token I could not see it moving. When I moved his token he could not see it moving. Also, the fog of war was off for him but on for the rest of us. Quite peculiar.

It wasn't that big of a deal but an interesting issue that part of MapTool was working, macros, but part, token movement and fog of war, was only working server side and not remotely. Hopefully we won't repeat this but we all suspected that java was somehow messed up. Our host computer recently got a Microsoft Java update according to its owner but that might be coincidence.

MapTool rocks,

Tom

tomlib
Giant

Re: The Girl in Glass

Post by tomlib »

Sunday brings another Session of the Campaign.

The group managed to foil the assassination attempt on Valary Gray and capture the leader of the Plunging Blade cult in a very eventful session. We did four skill challenges which were the most fun yet and three battles two of which were fairly large.

MapTool was almost flawless although we once again had that strange issue with my targeting macro in that the token picked to attack cannot be found to be switched in the Library token. This time the system didn't grind to a halt and we just swapped one baddie for another without difficulty. Still, the second time for a bug is not so great.

The group will finish up the Fourth Adventure this coming week and attain Level 7 so all is going according to plan. Only fourteen more adventures and twenty-three levels to go!

MapTool rocks,

Tom

tomlib
Giant

Re: The Girl in Glass

Post by tomlib »

Another week has come and gone and thus the Campaign gains another Session

MapTool was perfect and I only had a couple of minor mistakes in macros making for a good session. We got a late start because of some logistical troubles but managed three good combats. The group made Level 7 which added a couple of Encounter Powers that will semi-break my standard attack macro but it's a work in progress!

What I end up doing is creating non-standard attack macros for oddball attacks and then eventually rewriting the base attack macro to accomodate for all the new possibilities.

They are now into the 5th Adventure of the Campaign and progressing nicely. Civil War is coming to Tanelorn and the Gray Lord standly idly by apparently uncaring.

MapTool rocks!

Tom

tomlib
Giant

Apr 24, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

Another Saturday means another Sessionof the Campaign.

It was mostly combat this time as we approach the middle of the fifth adventure. The group is beginning to realize Civil War is coming to Tanelorn and their own loyalties to the realm will be tested.

We had one interesting glitch with MapTool. One of the Player Characters ran three quick Healing Surges in succession and but then her healing bar returned to the wounded state. She then ran them again with no issues but her Healing Surge count restarted from the original count as if she had not run the macros at all. The chat box displayed the results of each Healing Surge both times so she clearly clicked the buttons. Rather peculiar. No harm really.

MapTool Rocks

Tom

tomlib
Giant

May 1, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

Another Saturday another Recap of the Girl in Glass.

MapTool was flawless this week although we only did one large battle and a lot of role-playing. It was a bit of a dungeon crawl and I'm not convinced 4th Edition is ideally designed for that but the group is done now and heading back to the surface.

They made it to 8th level and we are closing in on the end of the Heroic Tier. Civil War is in the offing.

MapTool rocks,

Tom

tomlib
Giant

Session 22 - May 8, 2010

Post by tomlib »

Another Saturday - Another Session of the Campaign.

We did two fairly complex combats and a skill challenge. MapTool had another unexplainable glitch in that one of the PCs couldn't click his macros. Everyone elses were working fine and I was able to run them from the host session. I deleted the token, copied it back on from the Character Map, and everything worked fine. Bizarre.

The group is now 8th level heading to nine and moving towards the end of the fifth adventure. Civil War seems all but inevitable as the Gray Lord refuses to actively work against it. The group is off to try and gain the alliance of the wavering Dwarves of Fellhelm in a last ditch effort to avoid the war.

We have a plethora of personal events the next two weeks so no gaming until May 29. See you then. (If anyone is following the campaign).

MapTool rocks!

Tom

tomlib
Giant

May 29 - Session

Post by tomlib »

We're back at it after a short break. We had a quick session with only one battle and one skill challenge but a lot is happing in the campaign.

I had a hardrive failure and lost MapTool v63 so went ahead and grabbed v67 for the game and it worked flawlessly although my looping initiative macro was a bit slow to run.

Civil War is looming in Tanelorn and it looks there is little to be done to stop it and the group will soon have to decide if they want to join the rebels or stay loyal to the City of Gray.

MapTool rocks!

Tom

tomlib
Giant

Jun 12, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

We had another excellent session last night. MapTool performed flawlessly as is becoming quite the norm.

The group did two large battles one of which involved new combatants coming in each round and the tool handled it perfectly. I could use a few tweaks to my attack macros but basically it all works well enough.

The group failed to save a Dwarven Keep from destruction and the mood in Tanelorn is grim as Civil War seems all but inevitable at this stage. The disintegration of the alliance of Tanelorn will bring great disorder to the region and perhaps even the collapse of civilization. Things look bad as the group heads into the final adventure of the Heroic Tier, Civil War!

tomlib
Giant

June 19, 2010 Session

Post by tomlib »

Another excellent session of the Girl in Glass Campaign where MapTool worked perfectly.

We had a battle against a large hit point, high AC, Solo monster, with Healing powers. Using Pen and Paper would have been a nightmare but it went amazingly smoothly in less than 30 minutes with MapTool!

The group is in the final adventure of the Heroic Tier and learned some disturbing information about their nemisis, the big Orc Adusko who up until now seemed like more of a physical threat than anything else. It is now clear the orc is far more intelligent than he lets on and his plans are detailed and breathtaking in scope and ambition!

The stage has been set for the next tier!

Tom

tomlib
Giant

July 3rd Session

Post by tomlib »

We completed a really excellent session Saturday and the Campaign's Heroic Tier is reaching an exciting conclusion.

MapTool was perfect again and extremely helpful in the Solo Battle where there were tons of conditions to track. We had a guest player and he picked it up very easily using his powers and contributing almost instantly.

The group reached 10th Level and I anticipate two or possibly three more sessions until the completion of the Heroic Tier and then it's on to the Paragon. Leveling up is so much easier in 4th Edition. While 4th Edition has some drawbacks one them isn't work for the GM. My gosh, when I think about leveling in the old systems or trying to create high level encounters! 4th Edition really is built for a VTT like MapTool.

See you next week!

Tom

Return to “Session Report-Back”