HI folks, long time listener, first time caller.

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

hiblagrande
Kobold

HI folks, long time listener, first time caller.

Post by hiblagrande »

First I just wanted to take a minute to thank the fine folks here at RPtools, I've been a fan for several years, unfortunately I am not active in the forums so my account keeps getting canned. :)

Earlier this year several members of our gaming group scattered to the four corners of the country. Although I've been playing around with it for quite sometime, last night was our groups first real game day using the Map Tool and everything worked out great. I used the 4E frame work and macros that someone on here was kind enough to put together (When I get home I will look it up and give the proper Kudos!) It is absolutely fantastic!

Since the game shop where we normally played did not want to give up the WI/FI, I was forced to build a room in my garage and turn it into a full on nerd haven. I now use a computer dedicated to running an instance of map tool via video projector , projected onto a mirror and down onto the game table for the players to use, (they pass the wireless moues and keyboard around on their turn) I DM from a laptop. Players from the far reaches of the galaxy connect through the broadband and communicate via conference call using skype.

For simplicity, I used the map tool at a very basic level. I loved using the fog of war, light sources and vision blocking terrain, they add a whole new element to the game that can not be duplicated on the dry erase map. I think some of the folks plan on staying home next week just so they can connect via the net.

once again, I love you guys (sniff)
John

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: HI folks, long time listener, first time caller.

Post by Azhrei »

hiblagrande wrote:First I just wanted to take a minute to thank the fine folks here at RPtools, I've been a fan for several years, unfortunately I am not active in the forums so my account keeps getting canned. :)
Heh. Well, post once more (a reply here perhaps?) and you'll hit the threshhold such that the account won't be automatically pruned in the future. (They're not supposed to be pruned now, although accounts which are never activated will be removed periodically by the forum software.)

In any case, welcome to RPTools! Or rather, the RPTools Forums!
I used the 4E frame work and macros that someone on here was kind enough to put together (When I get home I will look it up and give the proper Kudos!) It is absolutely fantastic!
Heh-heh, we get that a lot. ;)
Since the game shop where we normally played did not want to give up the WI/FI,
That's interesting. They probably thought it was some kind of LAN party (like a WoW party) and figured their network was going to get hammered. MapTool doesn't do that, but you'd need to show it to them in advance for them to understand, most likely.
I was forced to build a room in my garage and turn it into a full on nerd haven.
This is a good solution too. 8)
For simplicity, I used the map tool at a very basic level. I loved using the fog of war, light sources and vision blocking terrain, they add a whole new element to the game that can not be duplicated on the dry erase map. I think some of the folks plan on staying home next week just so they can connect via the net.
LOL! Yeah, it's much easier to get a group together when people can stay home. At the same time, a lot of folks will blow off a game because it's so easy...
once again, I love you guys (sniff)
John
We love you too, John. Don't ever leave us! (sniff, sniff *honk*)

:mrgreen:

hiblagrande
Kobold

Re: HI folks, long time listener, first time caller.

Post by hiblagrande »

I think I am using Rumbles framework. I am not certain. It has the lib tokens that look like some dice and the original game manuals. version 4.3 Example campaign file is the goblin lair. It works with MT 1.3.b66. I have not upgraded yet as it works well for my needs and already has more bells and whistles than I could probably figure out how to use effectively anyway.

I will snap some pictures of the setup the next time I fire up the system out in the garage.

Return to “Session Report-Back”