Keep On the Shadowfell - Rumble's Slim Framework

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Keep On the Shadowfell - Rumble's Slim Framework

Post by Jagged »

Mainly DDI. My friend Sean who created them, has a subscription.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Too bad (for me). DDI is not something I am going to be jumping onto, especially with the announcement of 5th Edition. My luck, Hasbro would discontinue 4th Edition/Essentials support.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

nolgroth wrote:Too bad (for me). DDI is not something I am going to be jumping onto
I wouldn't either.

Mind you, the Warpriest PDF was built using CharTool and the campaign file I built for D&D Essentials (see Jagged's HotFL Log Book).

As for D&D Next, I haven't been paying that any attention and certainly won't be moving off Essentials any time soon. Essentials is still new and shiny to me ;)

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

As you can see from the posts above, one of my players had been particularly insistant on discovering any kobold raiding parties that might have been missed. I had not planned for any but when a player comes up with a good idea, its never a bad thing for a GM to run with it. Plus I had a DDI article with some additional encounters that can be dropped into an H1 campaign. So using one of those as the basis for this session, I setup an encounter where the kobolds were trying to sell some prisoners to the Bloodreavers. I was very pleased with the outcome, I think I judged the difficulty just right. This was the party's fourth encounter in the same game day, so they were all out of daily powers and getting low on surges. I had decided that killing Irontooth counted as a milestone, so they all had an action point at least. All the party survied, but there were plenty of close calls.
Slavers
Slavers
Setting off from the Kobold Lair, the party of adventurers follow the kobold trial northwards, towards the King's Road. Eventually they hear voices raised in negotiation about prices. Ahead of them, a group of kobols can been seen in conversation with two hobgoblins, while a cruel looking mage oversees. Following Alykacha's lead, the party manage to surprise the slavers and ambush them from the trees. A kobold dragonshield is nearly taken out in the initial strike. Kobolds charge recklessly at the party and attempt to swarm Pontuus, maybe they recognise the blood covering his armour? Arcs of lightning and crossbow bolts fly at the kobolds but they manage to make it into melee. Behind the kobolds, the more disciplined hobgoblin warriors advance towards their enemies, forming up into a phalanx as they go. Observing from the rear and having identified his targets, the cruel mage unleases first an arc of lightning and then his wizard's fury.

Pontuus, Haagam and Moonscale tackle first the kobolds and then the hobgoblins. No doubt the hobgoblins, with their military tactics and quality armour, expected to take little damage from a priest and his warhammer. But the storm priest attacks not their armour but their spirit, and hits home every time. The swarming kobolds are able to take Pontuus to within an inch of his life but Haagan brings him right back again with a Healing Word.

In the meantime Alykacha and Happy Angel are making a beeline for the Bloodreaver mage. The mage strikes, casting multiple attack spells each round. First Arc Lightning and then Magic Missile. Realising the damage the mage can do, the two Drow concentrate their attacks in an attempt to kill him off quickly. Happy Angel starting off with a successful Darkfire strike and following up with multiple Piercing shards (action point). While Alykacha fires off a crossbow bolt and leaps into melee. Striking with her sword, she goes for the killing blow, only to be blocked by the mage's Shield spell. He retaliates with Burning Hands and Magic Missile. Both antaganists are now down to their last ounces of strength. Alykacha dodges and feints and her blade finds its way into the mages ribs. He goes down, his last spell drowned by his own blood.

The last surviving kobold is cowered into submission, disarmed and tied up. The adventurers explore the clearing and discover a mother and her three children locked up in a cage. Once released the grateful family explain how they were kidnapped from their farm while the father was out in the fields and had the party not intervened they would have been sold to the Bloodreavers.

Searching the kobolds and the Bloodreavers the party recover a potion of healing, 33 gp, and 20 sp. From the mage they also recover 10 gp 3sp, his spell book and a +1 wand of luck. They load up the slavers' wagon and head back to Winterhaven.

As they pull into Winterhaven and news travels about what they have achieved, the party is soon treated like heroes. As they move through the market, the husband is reunited with his family to tumultuous applause. They continue through the town and are soon in an audience with Lord Padraig. The party recount their tale and present their evidence (largely kobold teeth) and the Lord happily pays them the 150gp promised. They hand Lord Padraig the letter they found on Irontooth and he is immediately concerned at the idea of a spy in Winterhaven but is a great deal more worried at the idea of a cult attempting to open a gate to the Shadowfell. He offers the group 50gp each if they will destroy the cult. They accept the generous offer and retire to Wrafton's Inn, where they don't have to pay for a drink for the rest of the evening.

XP
Mage: 150
Hobgoblins: 2x100=200
Minions: 5x25=125
Dragonshields: 2x125=250
Total=725
Battle Map

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Again, excellent use of the MapTool drawing tools. I am constantly amazed that you can such good work with that limited resource.

Sounds like a very fun adventure. I especially like some of the dramatic flourishes that you've placed into the recap. Makes for an interesting, if far too short, read. Looking forward to the next installment.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Well thank you again. I know I should invest some time into learning how to produce maps in GIMP, but ultimately its all about time and I am quite happy with the results you can produce in Maptool and how quick it can be done.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Back on script this week as my party move on to the Dragon Burial Site. Rescuing their mentor is the first adventure hook they have completed and it provides them with enough XP to hit level 2. Wooho!
Burial Site
Burial Site
The party are busy in Wrafton's Inn, being unable to buy drinks for themselves. Lord Padraig arrives and buys drinks for everyone and the celebrations continue into the night. Valthrun the Prescient also makes an appearance and makes his way to the adventurers. He admits that when they first arrived in town he took them for simple tomb raiders and had no intention of helping, but having seen them solve the town's kobold problem he has changed his mind. If they come see him in the morning, he will tell all he knows about the ruined keep.

The next day, slightly worst for wear, they head to Valthrun's tower. He tells them the ruined keep was built over a rift to the Shadowfell (a realm of the undead) and for years soldiers of the Nareth Empire where stationed there to keep watch for any incursion. That was until a once great Paladin, Sir Keegan, was driven mad, slaughtered his family and turned on his soldiers. He was eventually driven into the tunnels under the keep and intombed there forever. The place was cursed and after the Nareth Empire colapsed, the place fell into ruin. If death cultists are investigating the ruins it can only be to gain access to the rift and must be stopped.

Dispite this ominous news the party are still keen to search for their mentor Douven Staul, and so prepare to head to the site of a dragon burial. They sell the wagon and horses at the stable and armour and weapons to the Smithy Thair Coalstriker. Haagan negotiates an excellent rate (Diplomacy Critical) and commissions a new Heavy Shield, emblazoned with the symbol of Kord. The Dwarf is also capable of enchantment rituals and begins work on converting the Wand of Luck into a rod. It seems Coalstriker is bored making ploughshares for farmers and exotic commisions for adventurers are more to his liking.

The group leave town and head for the burial site. Some five mile south they approach a steep-sided crater, milling about in the centre are a number of thuggish looking men and a couple of guard drakes. But more ominously, watching from above, a sinister apparition seems to be directing their efforts.

Pontuus, Haagan and Happy Angel advance into the crater, while Alykacha uses cover to aim her crossbow and Moonscale moves to higher ground to cast his spells. Pontuus engages the drakes with Haagan hot on his heels. The two Drow both strike the apparition with their bolts, of steel and ice. As the human thugs begin to fall, a crossbow bolt appears out of nowhere, narrowly missing Alykacha. An invisible enemy on the field?

The apparition begins to use its foul magic and claws of smoke rise out of the ground, clawing at Pontuus and he is momentarily entangled. A Freezing Burst from Moonscale takes out most of the thugs and slows the drakes. The first drake succumbs to Pontuus blows but the multiple attacks he has received makes Pontuus glad of Haagan's support as a Healing Word restores him to strength.

The invisible enemy momentarily appears as it attacks the party. The small Fey hummanoid is driven back, and vanishes after taking some damage.

Leaping over the heads of her friends, Alykacha strikes at the apparition. In retaliation, it gestures towards one of the dead humans, which rises stiffly at its masters command. Haagan is quick to smite this undead construction and it is knocked back and immobilized.

The party is free now to concentrate on the apparition. Under a volly of attacks its collapses and dissipates, Alykacha placing the killing blow. As it fades, so too does the magic holding together the undead human. The battlefield is empty? The small Fey hummanoid does not reappear, presumably it fled once its comrades died.

Searching the site, the adventurers find Douven Staul. He had been held prisoner for a number of weeks, and was not looking foward to whatever plans the death cultists had in store for him. He decided to head home to his wife but not before he gives the party a +1 Amulet of Health, sure they will need it more than he. They also recover 65 gp and 13 sp and an ancient mirror (550 gp).

XP
Guard Drakes: 2x125=250
Human Rabble: 4x31=125 (I rounded up ;) )
Spectral Apparition: 175
Rescuing Mentor: 1,250
Battle Map

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Nice recap.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Sean Waters
Kobold

Post by Sean Waters »

Hello nolgroth :D

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

An actual dungeon this week. The session encounter was quite small but took a surprisingly long time to finish. Probably too much time spent discussing the Marching Order ;)
The Keep on the Shadowfell
The Keep on the Shadowfell
After defeating the apparition and rescuing Douven Staul, the adventurers return to Winterhaven in high spirits. As they approach the town it becomes increasingly apparent that all is not right. The fields around Winterhaven seem strangely empty. The few villagers they see, appear nervous and jumpy. Worse still awaits them in the Inn where the normally pleasant and cheerful Salvana Wrafton is irritable and snaps at anyone that dares asks questions. Investigations around the town turn up no clues until Moonscale attunes his arcane senses to the problem and to the dismay of everyone deterimines that somewhere nearby a door has been opened to a dark realm!

The adventurers retire early after a meal and prepare themselves for tomorrows trials (4gp 6sp for food, drink and lodgings). The following morning they rise stronger than before, with new skills mastered and head straight to Thair Coalstriker's smithy, where they collect the new equipment they had commissioned. For Haagan, a new heavy shield bearing the symbol of Kord. For Happy Angel, a magical Rod of Luck. They check the directions supplied by Valthrun the Prescient and leave the town to head north, but not before a number of villagers gather to see them go. As the adventures depart through the town gate, people cheer loudly for the "Heroes of Winterhaven."

Some ten miles north of Winterhaven they find a narrow track that leads away from the road and eventually widens into a clearing. The party are met by the remains of a once great keep, piles of shattered stone and broken timbers litter the clearing. The area is strangely still and quiet
and the forest flora seems reluctant to encroach. In the centre of the clearing a path has recently been made, revealing a stone staircase heading down.

As they make their way down, a challenge is issued. Ahead of them, from across a small square room, a goblin warrior shouts out, "Heroes! Why don't you come and join us?" Haagan calls down the might of Kord, whose blessing bestows the heroes with improved defenses. Now empowered, the ever eager Pontuus charges across the room to attack the challenger. As he reaches the centre of the room, the floor gives way. He leaps back, grabbing onto the side of the pit and manages to pull himself up onto the floor.

More goblins appear down the corridor and launch crossbow bolts at Pontuus as he lays prone. The rest of the party advance cautiously into the room and exchange fire. Lightning and Ice in one direction, bolts and javalins in the other. The goblins seem keen to keep moving. One darting down a side corridor while others advance from the east. The first goblin falls, but the party still have to divide their attention as they are attacked from multiple directions. Positioning in the small room is difficult and made harder by the pit at its centre. Nether the less the party close in on the goblins and more fall. The final goblin sharpshooter proves particularly stubborn. That is until Haagan decides to abandon his crossbow, draws his trusty warhammer and smites it with the Thunder of Kord!

With the goblins defeated the party cautiously investigate their surroundings. They find some coin on the goblins (43 gp and 51 sp) and crates of unappetising food in a storeroom to the south east.

Returning to the entrance, Happy Angel and Pontuus notice some rats scurrying at the bottom of the pit. A blast of ice from Happy Angel causes the rats to climb up and attack, but they are beaten away in mere moments.

XP
Goblin Warriors: 2x100
Goblin Sharpshooters: 2x125
Rat swarm: 100
Total: 550
Battle Map
Maptool regulars will of course, instantly recognise Torstan's tiles :)
Last edited by Jagged on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Sean Waters wrote:Hello nolgroth :D
Well hello back to ya. Good to see you hanging 'round here. :)

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Jagged wrote:An actual dungeon this week. The session encounter was quite small but took a surprisingly long time to finish. Probably too much time spent discussing the Marching Order ;)
Sometimes long combats happen. When I built my Hero framework, I did so with the direct, first hand knowledge that combat can take up loads of time. So I automated everything that I could. Guess what? It didn't really help that much. :)

Still enjoying reading the ongoing saga of the Unnameables (didn't notice an adventuring company listed on the character sheets). In fact, I so want to plop my children and best friend down and play this. Only problem is that I converted much of it to Hero. Not usually a problem, but my daughter's character died at the dragon burial site. She still remembers (and holds a grudge ;) ) to this day.

Thanks for posting.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

nolgroth wrote:Well hello back to ya. Good to see you hanging 'round here. :)
Just for reference: Sean is playing Happy Angel.
nolgroth wrote:my daughter's character died at the dragon burial site. She still remembers (and holds a grudge ;) ) to this day.
You had a character die using Hero System? You must be a cruel, cruel GM :evil:

I am a total softie, evidenced by the fact that Pontuus didn't fall down the pit in the last session ;)

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Jagged wrote:You had a character die using Hero System? You must be a cruel, cruel GM
With Bleeding, Hit Locations, etc, Hero is actually quite lethal. :)

Return to “Session Report-Back”