Thanks for the help

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

SpecialK
Kobold

Thanks for the help

Post by SpecialK »

Thanks again to aliasmask for helping me out. Ran my game this evening without any Maptool problems. Had some unrelated transient networking problems, but fixed those. One of my local players ran a Maptool client and really liked it, even though we had a big screen right in front. Here's a pic of our setup:
On the far left is a laptop running Skype for my one non-local player. Attached to that is a tiny 0.67x wide angle iPhone lens so that he can see the entire room. Also attached to that laptop is a Denon omnidirectional mic positioned in the center of the room on a tripod (not in the shot). That same laptop ran a Maptool client that was also hooked to the projector. The laptop also was attached to an RF keyboard that had its own track mouse. The players passed the keyboard around to control their characters. In the foreground of the shot is my computer running the Maptool server.

Many thanks again to all the people here that made Maptool and made this game possible.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Thanks for the help

Post by Azhrei »

Very slick! Thanks for the inside look into your game session. :)

(I'm moving the thread to "Session Report-back" to denote that it's a summary of how things went actually using MT in a game.)

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

I'm so envious of all that awesomeness. All the houses (I can afford) here are all tiny, so no chance for any of that luxury.

SpecialK
Kobold

Post by SpecialK »

It gets the job done. But, a 32-60" TV would work out as well. I have a 32" LCD TV that I use as a 2nd monitor for my main desktop PC. When I was having AC problems in the theater room I was planning on running a similar setup, but with the 32" TV as the main display.

Right now, I'm playing around with a slightly different setup. I have an old Pentium 4 in a micro ATX box that I'm about to install Ubuntu on. I was planning on running an RDP client on it and remoting in to my main desktop computer, which is much faster than the desktop computer that I used as the GM server above. I don't want to pull my main desktop computer into the theater because it's a lot of work to do so. But a little ATX box running an RDP client might work. I'm also going to test running Maptool on the Ubuntu box directly as well. I don't know how well it will run. It is, after all, a Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM.

Return to “Session Report-Back”