WFRP2 1st Session

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Daemon
Kobold

WFRP2 1st Session

Post by Daemon »

We played our first session last Thursday Aussie time & everything went pretty "censored" well! :)

I had created a couple of maps for simple encounter. The first being a small Village on the river Reik which had been attacked by a small band of Goblins with a couple of Orcs brought along for muscle. This gave the players an opportunity for some actual roleplay, (shock/horror) as well as a chance to get used to using MT. Once they had established that these poor villagers could do nothing to save themselves nor the children which had been taken by the Goblins, they heroically offered to go after the fell creatures & with luck return the children. Fancy that... players actually doing what you intended! HAHA They tracked the Goblins for an hour or two which brought them to the second map I had created & having just begun the combat, it was also where we had to leave it till this coming Thursday.

Unfortunately, none of us are young men anymore, hell I turned 52 this year... we have lives, jobs & for one player a 5am start to his weekdays. Even so we played for at least 2 hours longer than we intended to, till midnight. :) If the emails I have been recieving are any indication, everybody had a lot of fun & all had basically the same thing to say. Which boils down to... Once we get used to gaming with MT, that things will go a lot smoother AND all were impressed by the possibilities that MT opens up. All this & I haven't even bugun using Wolph's Bag o' Tricks yet... LOL!!

A third map on which we started was simply a grasslands map with a few lines drawn here & there to allow me to teach everybody the basics of movement, where to find things on their token and how to use the macro's for combat & tests etc, followed by a surprise attack by 1 Beastman/PC as a practice combat. A remarkable little battle, since in the end only 1 of the warrior types killed a beastman & the Wizards Apprentice ended up slaughtering 3 of them... with a sword. But hey, that's Warhammer Roleplay.

We had a few issues, mainly due to one player having trouble with his Ventrilo install. but while we spent AN HOUR sorting that out, the other players did all the first session bookeeping... buying what equipment they could afford & making notes on their sheet about Skills & Talents etc. There was also a 20 minute wait at one point whilst everyone downloaded the "Hills" map from my computer. Sigh. I've since sorted that problem out by finding myself some online storage i can link to in the Campaign Preferences & a test run with 2 of the players last night showed this to be an incredibly quick way of doing things, tested with a map with nearly twice the no' of assets as the Hills.

I'll attach a couple of screenshots of the 2 maps I used, slightly cropped. Sorry if it's difficult to see any of the details. Also I hope the size etc is OK.

Thanks for the great program guys... I can't find enough words to tell you how excited we are about this.

Cheers, Daemon.
The Village.jpg
The Village.jpg (388.87 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
And the hapless soldiers sigh,
Runs in blood down palace walls.
William Blake, London.

Daemon
Kobold

Re: WFRP2 1st Session

Post by Daemon »

Well... soryy for the double post.

For some reason I couldn't get the other screenie I wanted to attach to actually work for me, fingers crossed it'll attach to this post.

AHA, it didn't want to attach again, so I reduced the size a bit & it worked... just too big. Note to self for future posts... get an account I can link to larger images somewhere. ;)
Into the Hills 2.jpg
Into the Hills 2.jpg (292.65 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
William Blake, London.

Daemon
Kobold

Post by Daemon »

Thanks Wolph,

Actually, I think I get a bit carried away mapping tbh... could become an issue when I'm trying to stay ahead of the players. I'm a bit of an amateur artist, although I occasionaly sell the odd painting or drawing, so I find it hard to resist shading with textures using varying levels of transparancy.

I'm aware you're an old WFRP player from way back... still by far my favorite system. I seem to remember you saying somewhere that you had modified the campaign properties etc from Gitzmans Gallery... Don't s'pose you have them lying around somewhere do you? :)
William Blake, London.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Welcome to Session Forum. Always nice to read other game reports :)
Daemon wrote:There was also a 20 minute wait at one point whilst everyone downloaded the "Hills" map from my computer. Sigh. I've since sorted that problem out by finding myself some online storage i can link to in the Campaign Preferences & a test run with 2 of the players last night showed this to be an incredibly quick way of doing things, tested with a map with nearly twice the no' of assets as the Hills.
If you are playing across the internet I think its always worth scaling your assets down so they aren't too big. When you are grabbing stuff the Maptool community have made public, the images are quite often high quality for LAN usage and if you don't scale them, your players will have megabytes to download. So any graphic I use I will typically scale outside of Maptool.

Look forward to your next session.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Daemon wrote:Thanks Wolph,

Actually, I think I get a bit carried away mapping tbh... could become an issue when I'm trying to stay ahead of the players. I'm a bit of an amateur artist, although I occasionaly sell the odd painting or drawing, so I find it hard to resist shading with textures using varying levels of transparancy.

I'm aware you're an old WFRP player from way back... still by far my favorite system. I seem to remember you saying somewhere that you had modified the campaign properties etc from Gitzmans Gallery... Don't s'pose you have them lying around somewhere do you? :)
yes I still have them, PM me if you want them. You also might want to check out my WFRP map project, which should be in the user creation section somewhere.

Daemon
Kobold

Post by Daemon »

Pm sent. :)

OMG Wolph... the map project!?! lol Welcome to The Old World. How usefull is that... downloading now.
William Blake, London.

Return to “Session Report-Back”