The Way of the Wicked

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

tomlib
Giant

The Way of the Wicked

Post by tomlib »

Hello MapTool friends and strangers.

I've started up a new campaign. It uses the Way of the Wicked campaign by Fire Mountain Games. The campaign is nominally for evil characters who worship Asmodeus although I've tried to rationalize the path as one of necessity based upon the recent change of circumstance in Cheliax.

The campaign is modified to take place in the Pathfinder world set in Cheliax two years after the disappearance/death of Aroden.

I am using a MapTool Framework of my own device with the rather open rules system of Talislanta.

I have an Obsidian Portal Site setup for the game.

We generally play on Saturday evenings. My campaign narrative is written as an auto-biography of one of the player characters reminiscing upon their life. Hopefully that PC survives! :)

I hope that some of you will enjoy the game descriptions and seeing some MapTool screen captures from our sessions.

The sessions are posted in the Adventure Log although each log entry does not correspond directly to a session. I'll break it where needed for dramatic purposes. It is my game after all!

Tom Liberman
Sword and Sorcery fantasy with a Libertarian Twist
Current Release: The Sword of Water
Next Release: The Spear of the Hunt

tomlib
Giant

The Way of the Wicked - Session 02

Post by tomlib »

We played our second session of Way of the Wicked last night. It was a tough session of mostly fighting as the group learned Nine Lessons in the basement dungeon complex of Cardinal Thrune.

The group encountered a Champion of Aroden and also his squire and dealt with them the way any true believer of Asmodeus would. I'm so proud of them!

With their competencies and loyalty proved it is likely that The Master will have more concrete plans for our heroes now. Let the fall of Cheliax begin!

Tom Liberman

tomlib
Giant

The Way of the Wicked - July 20th 2013 - Session 03

Post by tomlib »

We played Session 03 last night of the Way of the Wicked Campaign. A couple of the guys had prior commitments and we didn't get started until a little late but still managed to have a couple of sea battles which are always fun.

Tom Liberman

tomlib
Giant

The Way of the Wicked Session 03: July 27, 2013

Post by tomlib »

The group met with Sakkarot Fire-Axe for the first time in this Session of the Way of the Wicked Campaign.

They fought off Bunyips, ice elementals, and a group of belligerent Bugbears on their way to the great chieftain who impressed them mightily with his leadership skills. With allies like this can the downfall of Cheliax be far behind?

Now they must somehow weaken the key piece in the great northern Watch chain, Tower Jeggare.

Stay tuned!

Tom Liberman
Current Release: The Sword of Water ($2.99 for the full length eBook)
Upcoming Release: The Spear of the Hunt

tomlib
Giant

The Way of the Wicked - August 2, 2013

Post by tomlib »

We played a very mixed Session of Way of the Wicked Last Night.

The first part of the game was thrilling excitement as the group ambushed the sailors of the Frosthamar and barely escaped with their lives. The rest of the night was spent investigating ways to sabotage Tower Jeggare so that the bugbears led by noble Sakkarot Fire-Axe can successfully storm the tower and invade Cheliax.

The MapTool screenshot of the burning Frosthamar is pretty cool as the group battles the crew while the fire spreads all too quickly.

Tom Liberman
Current Release: The Sword of Water ($2.99 full length fantasy ebook)

tomlib
Giant

Way of the Wicket - Aug 10, 2013 Session

Post by tomlib »

It wasn't the most exciting Session in the world this week. Mainly the group performed discovery on ways to breakdown the defenses of the fort. They found maps, ambushed a few straggling soldiers, and prepared for more action.

There wasn't even a real battle-map so no screen shots this week.

Tom Liberman

tomlib
Giant

New Session - Aug 31

Post by tomlib »

We had a couple of weeks off there for various vacations and other things but we're back on track. The group is still trying to sabotage the tower and has poured acid in defensive weapons, poisoned dwarf engineers, killed soldier, and otherwise attempted to slowly bring the fort to its knees.

The Way of the Wicked Campaign

Session Recaps

Most Recent Recap

Tom Liberman
Sword and Sorcery fantasy with a Libertarian Ideology

tomlib
Giant

Sep 7, 2013 Session

Post by tomlib »

We played an action packed game last night and wrapped up the Way of the Wicked's first module; Knot of Thorns.

The group went out to where Sakkarot has his hoard and enlisted thirty mighty bugbears to join their infiltration effort. From there it was a long running battle in which they only barely managed to escape with their lives.

Next week we start Module Two: Call Forth Darkness. I'm very much looking forward to this one because it involves some very unusual elements of role-playing. I hope the group enjoys it!

Tom Liberman

tomlib
Giant

Sep 21, Session

Post by tomlib »

We played another Session of the Way of the Wicked Campaign last night. It was the first session of the second module, Call Forth Darkness.

The group headed to the town of Taggun Hold along the north-central border of Cheliax and met up with Baron Arkov Leroung. They eventually headed into the Uskwood and found the Horn of Abbadon wherein lies a demon named Vetra-Kali.

Read the session recap to learn more!

Tom Liberman

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Sep 7, 2013 Session

Post by Jagged »

tomlib wrote:We played an action packed game last night and wrapped up the Way of the Wicked's first module; Knot of Thorns.

The group went out to where Sakkarot has his hoard and enlisted thirty mighty bugbears to join their infiltration effort. From there it was a long running battle in which they only barely managed to escape with their lives.

Next week we start Module Two: Call Forth Darkness. I'm very much looking forward to this one because it involves some very unusual elements of role-playing. I hope the group enjoys it!

Tom Liberman

Cool to see so many tokens on a map. Was that hard/time consuming to run? Do you play over the net or face-to-face?

tomlib
Giant

Re: Sep 7, 2013 Session

Post by tomlib »

Hi Jagged,

Just getting back after a little vacation. Yes, it was crazy running that battle with the huge amount of tokens. I hand-waved a lot of stuff. The group brought a dozen Bugbears from Sakkarot's forces to help them and there were about three running battles (on different floors of the castle) but I only played the one involving the group. The rest I just did some quick calculations in my head and killed tokens.

We play over the net using Skype for communication.

We've had another session since but I forgot to post it.

Tom
Jagged wrote:
tomlib wrote:We played an action packed game last night and wrapped up the Way of the Wicked's first module; Knot of Thorns.

Tom Liberman

Cool to see so many tokens on a map. Was that hard/time consuming to run? Do you play over the net or face-to-face?

tomlib
Giant

Session 12 - The Ceremony Begins (nov 2, 2013)

Post by tomlib »

We played Session 12 of the Way of the Wicked Campaign last night and it was an eventful evening.

The group thoroughly explored the Horn of Abbadon and found all items required for the ceremony. Johann then performed the first ritual taking the still beating heart from our first sacrifice. It quickly became clear that a more thorough defense of the Horn would be necessary.

Now the real adventure begins!

Tom Liberman
Current Release: The Spear of the Hunt
Upcoming Release: The Broken Throne

tomlib
Giant

Nov 9 and Nov 16 Sessions

Post by tomlib »

The Way of the Wicked Campaign continues on!

We played a session which was mostly spent building up the defenses of the Horn of Abbadon which I didn't think warranted much of post and then we played again last night with a more complete session which I just posted to Obsidian Portal.

The group is building up the defenses of the Horn of Abbadon but the forces of Good are already assembling and attempting to cleanse the evil influence. It is going to be a long seven months!

The group is really enjoying playing the Dungeon Master while I play the adventurers tasked with bringing them down. It's great role-playing and so far the Way of the Wicked has been an excellent Adventure Path. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to make the purchase. It's very cohesive and presents really interesting role-playing opportunities.

We're only into the second module so I can't give a complete review but so far it gets my highest rating.

Tom Liberman

tomlib
Giant

Nov 23 Session

Post by tomlib »

We played another Session of the Way of the Wicked last night. The group continued to defend the caverns this time losing a pair of Boggards to tricky Moon Dogs. The forces of good are gathering in town and it looks like many battles are not far away.

Tom Liberman

tomlib
Giant

Dec 14, 2013 - Session

Post by tomlib »

We had an excellent Session of the Way of the Wicked Campaign last night.

The defense of the Horn of Abbadon continues apace and this time the group got to play all minions as the attackers came from an unexpected direction. I think the group is getting the idea of playing minions rather than their own PCs as is required in this module.

Tom Liberman

Return to “Session Report-Back”