Streaming My D&D Sessions

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

MuteLunatic
Kobold

Streaming My D&D Sessions

Post by MuteLunatic »

I have a tabletop DnD group that I've been playing with for several years. We get together most Wed nights to play. For the past 2 years I've been running a campaign using a program called MapTools to create the tactical maps. Because of the digital visualization of the game I am able to stream our sessions and have decided to do so.

The group is going to be starting a new adventure using their existing characters continuing an existing campaign. I have been jumping around story wise but have decided to follow the Scales of War adventure path. We have jumped into the middle of the adventure path at the Destroyer adventure and are now beginning The Temple Between adventure. Because of this I have changed some of the names of the major villians, cities, and NPCs but plan to stay mostly faithful to the campaign. The group is lvl 8 and consists of my Mom (Gail) playing Saphyre the Dragonborn Paladin, my Dad (Tom) playing Kat the Human Invoker, My sister (Jenn) playing Darah the Devah Cleric, and my brother in law (Mike) playing the Human Assassin.

Tonight I will be streaming some of the work that goes into creating the adventures and tomorrow if all goes well with the audio setup we will begin streaming the actual play sessions. When we play we get together at one location. All characters are on paper and all dice rolling is with real honest to goodness dice. I feel this is key to keeping the pen and paper vibe. I use maptools for exploration it also allows me to easily track monster hp and initiative and brings in a neat element of fog of war, and line of sight.

My Twitch channel is http://www.twitch.tv/dangerousmutelunatic I will try to post a message when I start streaming but if you follow the stream you will get an e-mail anytime I go live. I also play and plan on streaming other games like Blood Bowl and Left for Dead.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Steaming My D&D Sessions

Post by Jagged »

Very good.

This would perhaps be better placed in the Session Feedback forum?

metatheurgist
Dragon

Re: Steaming My D&D Sessions

Post by metatheurgist »

Should probably add an "r" to Steaming too... :D

MuteLunatic
Kobold

Re: Streaming My D&D Sessions

Post by MuteLunatic »

My first play sessions finished. Everything went better than I had expected. I have the recorded session on youtube for anyone that missed the live stream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgs5C6Rf-BY

I think I may add in a webcam so that viewers have something to see during the more talky parts of the adventures.

*Hehe Steaming*

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Jagged wrote:This would perhaps be better placed in the Session Feedback forum?
Agreed. I think I'll move this, but I'll leave a shadow topic in its place.

Very cool, Mute! I'm looking forward to checking out the video!

(Oh, and I changed the thread title. :))

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

the question no one pointed out: "steaming" what? :roll:

j/k... I watched the first 20 minutes or so of the recorded footage and it was mostly well done(have not had the chance to go back and watch the rest as of yet and not sure when or if I will have 2+ hours to spend, though I would like to).
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

MuteLunatic
Kobold

Post by MuteLunatic »

Episode 2 is now in the can and watchable on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZKJpBAgb9A

So far we've really been enjoying the experience and hope all the viewers are as well. Today I was given a job offer that I accepted that puts a large monkey wrench in our schedule. Tentatively we are planning on continuing on Saturdays going forward but feel free to keep an eye on my twitchs and twitters for more info as I will be updating those when I find out more.

MuteLunatic
Kobold

Post by MuteLunatic »

Ohh and thank you for moving this to the appropriate forum and changing the title. Let me know what you think and given the expertise of this community if there are any tricks I've missed with the software. Also the Lets go DMing and introduction are vods of me doing the actual mapping you can find those on my youtube channel as well.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks for the updates! And here's hoping you get to continue gaming! ;)

MuteLunatic
Kobold

Post by MuteLunatic »

Episode 3 Goes Live tonight at 6pm EST. http://www.twitch.tv/dangerousmutelunatic

Return to “Session Report-Back”