MapTools at GenCon 2010 (on a Multi Touch Game Table)

See an article about any RPTools tool ? Post it here !

Moderator: Azhrei

Zamrod
Kobold

Re: MapTools at GenCon 2010 (on a Multi Touch Game Table)

Post by Zamrod »

I'm interested in seeing this happen. I'm in the middle of building my own multi-touch table and the one thing really holding me back from completing the project is that there is no good multi-touch tools for running a D&D game. Map Tools would be ideal, but you have to go into the menu too often for things that you should be able to handle with things like two-finger touches and tap and holds.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

How much does a table like that cost?

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Always wanted to try something like this ever since the first videos for multitouch tech came out. http://cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/

You could even probably set up something like a rfid chip in the base of a miniature and have it connected to onscreen tokens.

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Nice table, now I just need the cash to be able to afford one
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Zamrod wrote:I'm interested in seeing this happen. I'm in the middle of building my own multi-touch table and the one thing really holding me back from completing the project is that there is no good multi-touch tools for running a D&D game. Map Tools would be ideal, but you have to go into the menu too often for things that you should be able to handle with things like two-finger touches and tap and holds.
http://boingboing.net/2009/10/29/dd-on- ... ch-ta.html
http://www.etc.cmu.edu/projects/surfacescapes/

(ps. does anyone else think the virtual dice-rolling shown in that is kind of foolish and backwards?)

eRaz0r
Cave Troll

Post by eRaz0r »

Azhrei wrote:
grimjack2600 wrote:All of the orientation and location data is currently available via our vision interface (Community Core Vision 1.4 or better) and can create events which would need to be handled. My initial plan is to leverage heavily from MT4j (MultiTouch 4 Java) when adding these elements to MapTool.

I would love to get an official sanction to add MT support to MapTool.

Should we spawn a separate thread for MapTool MT discussions?
I have zero experience with MT4j but I'm certainly willing to help in integrating that library. Feel free to start a thread in the Developer Notes section to discuss technical details. One of the first goals for 1.4 is to better modularize the existing code and that could serve you well as the input handling would be separated into a set of APIs for input event handling. Start your other thread and we can get into it in more detail.
I looked at MT4J for this, myself, but found that their code was heavily in-bed with Processing, and getting Processing to work alongside maptools proved to be cludgy at best, and beyond my level of patience to continue.

Their event processing and Gesture Recognition code might port across well enough, though.

In my code (which stalled, unfortunately, due to real life) I created a new version of the maptools "Hand Tool" for map interaction. That meant I didn't have to deal with simulating mouse events, I just consumed the TUIO events directly.

It looks like you guys are further along than I was though.

oslowski
Kobold

Post by oslowski »

Zamrod wrote:I'm interested in seeing this happen. I'm in the middle of building my own multi-touch table and the one thing really holding me back from completing the project is that there is no good multi-touch tools for running a D&D game. Map Tools would be ideal, but you have to go into the menu too often for things that you should be able to handle with things like two-finger touches and tap and holds.
Exactly my thoughts, Zamrod! We would like to build a MT table as well, but multi touch capable Maptools is missing.

oslowski
Kobold

Post by oslowski »

eRaz0r, grimjack2600,

has there been any progress? I would so LOVE to hear some good news about this! ;) It would be so awesome if this would work out. I have a feeling there are really a lot of players waiting for such a feature/functionality in Maptools.

...or am I missing another thread where progress is indeed being tracked?

Return to “RPTools Sightings”