Welcome!

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

wacko76
Cave Troll

Post by wacko76 »

Very nice, CT is coming along.

Now, I have some questions.

Is CT supposed to be simply a Character Administration, or also a Character generation tool? Will the data from CT control (later, when everything is integrated) MT and IT? Meaning you input the characters in CT and have them available in MT and IT.

Would it be possible to import characters from a different Character generation tool, written in Java and saving in XML? (www.helden-software.de).

Thanks for your work, you are awesome, all of RPTools.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

wacko76 wrote:Is CT supposed to be simply a Character Administration, or also a Character generation tool?
Character Tool is not designed to be a character generation tool. However, it is capable of many of the functions that character generators perform and if you configured & scripted it correctly you could certainly have it help make characters.
wacko76 wrote:Will the data from CT control (later, when everything is integrated) MT and IT? Meaning you input the characters in CT and have them available in MT and IT.
That is eventually the plan although it is too soon to tell how that might actually work. We also plan to have edits made by players using CT show up in MT and IT as they occur and vice versa. For example, set a state in MT, and it shows up in both CT and IT where it could change the character stats appropriately.
wacko76 wrote:Would it be possible to import characters from a different Character generation tool, written in Java and saving in XML? (www.helden-software.de).
It is actually fairly simple to create the character data used by the tool. Then you would have to import it into an existing rptok file. RPToken files are zip files so that importing it consists of adding the file into the zip file and naming it content.xml. I know that is an extra step so maybe later we could write a simple little tool to help with that down the road.

wacko76
Cave Troll

Post by wacko76 »

jay wrote:It is actually fairly simple to create the character data used by the tool. Then you would have to import it into an existing rptok file. RPToken files are zip files so that importing it consists of adding the file into the zip file and naming it content.xml. I know that is an extra step so maybe later we could write a simple little tool to help with that down the road.
How would you do that? And please in simple words, because, as some other forum member wrote, when it comes to programming and stuff I sort of start to drift off. :oops:

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

jay wrote:The easiest way to get me to work on that is to get me a (legal) set of the rules. I've been writing many of the game configurations from free Lite rules put out by the companies.
I think SR and I would really like to see the Action! System get implemented and as luck would have it the A!S rules are OGL and a free download. As unluck would have it the site is down so I can't point you to where you can download it. However, I'll try to remember this evening to get a copy of the rules sent to you.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

RPMiller wrote:I think SR and I would really like to see the Action! System get implemented and as luck would have it the A!S rules are OGL and a free download. As unluck would have it the site is down so I can't point you to where you can download it. However, I'll try to remember this evening to get a copy of the rules sent to you.
Here's my shadow link: http://hdrpg.com/drupal/files/ASCRv1-1.pdf
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Excellent! Thanks SR! Jay, if you have any questions about the rules don't hesitate to ask. I know the system fairly well. 8)

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I'll probably be taking a stab at getting Hero System working in this over the next few weeks. It is too bad that the HeroDesigner software isn't open source as it is done entirely in Java as well and has export tags in XML that allows you to pull almost every piece of data out of a character. I'm betting that they could somehow be integrated.

ImageImage

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

There is already a Hero file built into CT. It is the same one that I did for someone or IT. It is fairly limited as I don't have the rules. So it is just what I could gather from a character sheet and a one page description of the game.

Even though we can't integrate the two tools, I have been working on a new thread that describes how to get the data from a character generator and put it into a token file. So you still might be able to use it if we can get the XML formatted correctly.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Steel Rat wrote:
RPMiller wrote:I think SR and I would really like to see the Action! System get implemented and as luck would have it the A!S rules are OGL and a free download. As unluck would have it the site is down so I can't point you to where you can download it. However, I'll try to remember this evening to get a copy of the rules sent to you.
Here's my shadow link: http://hdrpg.com/drupal/files/ASCRv1-1.pdf
It might take me awhile to get to it, but I will be happy to create one for you when I've finished the other game systems that I've promised to help with.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

jay wrote:There is already a Hero file built into CT. It is the same one that I did for someone or IT. It is fairly limited as I don't have the rules. So it is just what I could gather from a character sheet and a one page description of the game.

Even though we can't integrate the two tools, I have been working on a new thread that describes how to get the data from a character generator and put it into a token file. So you still might be able to use it if we can get the XML formatted correctly.
That is very good news! You are actually able to create an Export Format for HeroDesigner really easily so if I have a framework for what the XML should look like I can easily export from HeroDesigner right into the XML.

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

jay wrote:It might take me awhile to get to it, but I will be happy to create one for you when I've finished the other game systems that I've promised to help with.
No problem. We've been without one this long we can certainly wait until you have time.

ImageImage

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

wacko76 wrote:How would you do that? And please in simple words, because, as some other forum member wrote, when it comes to programming and stuff I sort of start to drift off. :oops:
I've started a new thread here where I'll try to explain. I'll also give a rundown on the data structure and how to get the data from some specific character generators like DMGenie.

CeaDawg
Kobold

Re: Welcome!

Post by CeaDawg »

I'm totally new here, and Azhrei pointed me to this group to find support for shadowrun in the CharTool environment. I know nothing of coding in java, but with a walk through of something I don't have to change the structure of, I'm pretty sure I can handle the data substitution to cobble together a basic shadowrun file set for CT.

Return to “CharacterTool”