First try and a few comments (and a bug)

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

As for sheet functionality. I think the skills matrix needs a couple more columns:

- Whether the skill can be used untrained
- Whether it's a class skill or not. A checkbox would be good for this, just need to determine which will require the least checking, Class or Cross-class.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Steel Rat wrote:When I left-click on the portrait area, nothing happens. No dialog, it just changes color slightly.
Torstan had a problem with this being a tiny little 'Squiffy' window that had to be resized. Could that be your problem? Otherwise, could you check for exceptions on the console?
Steel Rat wrote:You mentioned about misc modifiers that are to be modified by feats and such. i'm guessing this is future stuff, since there's nowhere but the notes field to enter feats on the d20 3.5 sheet.
Correct, I have the support available in CT I just need to integrate it into the configuration file for d20. Then all of the feats will have to be entered into the data file.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

jay wrote: Then all of the feats will have to be entered into the data file.
For 3.5? :shock: Good lord that's alot of feats. On the bright side, there shouldn't be whole boatloads coming out while you're working on it, since WoTC is on to 4e.

Any idea what format 4e feats/powers will use yet, so that people who want to contribute can start hacking away at what's there?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Steel Rat wrote:- Whether the skill can be used untrained
I just added this for Torstan, expect it in the next release. It isn't a new column, I just added another marker ('#') to the name showing that it needs to be trained. When a player tries to use a trained only skill w/o any skill levels they now get an error message.
Steel Rat wrote:- Whether it's a class skill or not. A checkbox would be good for this, just need to determine which will require the least checking, Class or Cross-class.
That can be added. Is it needed for game play or just character creation? If you have to select all of your class skills manually and nothing is done with them other than display will anybody use it?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

UntoldGlory wrote:For 3.5? :shock: Good lord that's alot of feats. On the bright side, there shouldn't be whole boatloads coming out while you're working on it, since WoTC is on to 4e.

Any idea what format 4e feats/powers will use yet, so that people who want to contribute can start hacking away at what's there?
Not just yet, but if there is somebody who is willing to work on it I can get that ready for the next build. That goes for the data in any of the other game files as well.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I can't gauruntee how much time I can put towards it, but my campaign is pretty much ready to go for 4e, so I can devote the time I was using for that to working on inputing stuff.

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Jay wrote:That can be added. Is it needed for game play or just character creation? If you have to select all of your class skills manually and nothing is done with them other than display will anybody use it?
It's needed for character creation as well as each time you level up. A cross-class skill costs 2 points per rank instead of 1. So that also brings up fractional amounts if someone adds one point to a cross-class skill.
Last edited by Steel Rat on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

jay wrote:
Steel Rat wrote:When I left-click on the portrait area, nothing happens. No dialog, it just changes color slightly.
Torstan had a problem with this being a tiny little 'Squiffy' window that had to be resized. Could that be your problem? Otherwise, could you check for exceptions on the console?
I get an initial exception as soon as the app loads:

Code: Select all

AppResourceLoader.loadImage failed: net/rptools/chartool/resources/images/unknown.png
Then when I click on the portrait area, these exceptions pop up:

Code: Select all

FormManagerUtils.openPackgedForm failed: net/rptools/chartool/resources/forms/dialog.jfrm
java.io.IOException: Stream closed
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.getInIfOpen(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at com.jeta.forms.gui.formmgr.FormManagerUtils.loadForm(Unknown Source)
	at com.jeta.forms.gui.formmgr.FormManagerUtils.openPackagedForm(Unknown Source)
	at com.jeta.forms.components.panel.FormPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.construct(AbstractDialog.java:178)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.<init>(AbstractDialog.java:113)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.charsheet.component.CharSheetImage$ChangeImageDialog.<init>(CharSheetImage.java:315)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.charsheet.component.CharSheetImage$1.actionPerformed(CharSheetImage.java:123)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
JETAPanel.getComponentByName failed to find component: title
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.jeta.forms.components.panel.FormPanel.getFormContainer(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.setTitle(AbstractDialog.java:216)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.construct(AbstractDialog.java:180)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.component.AbstractDialog.<init>(AbstractDialog.java:113)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.charsheet.component.CharSheetImage$ChangeImageDialog.<init>(CharSheetImage.java:315)
	at net.rptools.chartool.ui.charsheet.component.CharSheetImage$1.actionPerformed(CharSheetImage.java:123)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Steel Rat
-----------
Discord Server

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Steel Rat wrote:I get an initial exception as soon as the app loads:
Both the loadImage problem and the exceptions you are getting are due to Java not being able to read the jar file. I have no idea what might cause that. All I can suggest is to try looking for those files in the chartool jar file. Unzip it and then see if the two file mentioned exist in the zip file.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Many of the rolls expand out to show the d20 and the bonus values. Initiative does not do that.
--
Big Mac

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

I fixed that problem, it will be in the next build

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

torstan wrote:As for the portrait window, I know that I can import an image into the token by dropping it onto the large blue area, but a maptool token has two images - one for the portrait and one for the token image. It would be good to be able to set both of them here.
I have add the functionality tp support a token and a portrait image. It will be released in the next build. I updated the d20 game settings file to reference it, but I didn't change the character sheets to display it. I've not added the reference to any other game settings file yet.

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

jay wrote:
UntoldGlory wrote:For 3.5? :shock: Good lord that's alot of feats. On the bright side, there shouldn't be whole boatloads coming out while you're working on it, since WoTC is on to 4e.

Not just yet, but if there is somebody who is willing to work on it I can get that ready for the next build. That goes for the data in any of the other game files as well.
As I mentioned in one of the other posts I can assist in the data entry for D&D 4e.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Me too!

poisson
Kobold

Post by poisson »

Hi guys, I'm just trying the new Chartool and found it very interesting. First of all let me compliment you developers by the great idea of making the tool not game-specific, so it's possible to create configurations to any game type using scripts. This tool seems to have a great future! :)

But I have also some concerns about it. In some game systems, like D20, the whole process of creating a character is not "in one step", like just filling a form with all information about the character, but it is a gradual process, when your character evolves level by level. For example, to create a level 5 character with this tool, you still need to make by hand all the steps to the 5th level. The web is plenty of tools that offers character creation in a "form filling" style. And I think that a lot of well known tools step in this mistake. As you can see, I am a great supporter of the "wizard-based" character creation tools, this is a much more easy and intuitive way for an inexperienced user create a good character, without knowing much about the rules. See for example all the character-creation wizards of the most popular rpg games: NWN, WOW, ... All have wizard-based character creators.

So, my big question is: Is it possible to create a wizard-based game configuration? Perhaps the response is no, but, as the project is still in its beginning, there's any chance to add support for it in the future? I know, as an experienced developer, that maybe this involves some changes in the architecture, but it is better to think of it now in the beginning, than after when it would be impossible to do it...

That's my feelings about the tool, I hope that some of my ideas could be useful, and that they could make this tool really something different of all existing tools.

P.S. I don't know if I should post this message in another place in this forum, or if it should be started as a new thread. If yes, I can post it again in another place...

Return to “CharacterTool”