Adopters: Game Settings File

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Adopters: Game Settings File

Post by Jagged »

Okay I have found whats missing. I wasn't updating the "games=" line:

Code: Select all

games=dnd4e, dnd4e-phb2, dnd4e-hotfl, .........
Cheers, and thanks for the prompt responses :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Jay, any more thoughts on meta settings for game files and being able to save each as it's own setting but perhaps change up when adding the setting. An example is Savage Worlds Supers. It allows for various power levels which dictate each characters starting power points available to buy powers with. However, stuff like equipment, races, and even the powers themselves will be the same throughout, so those should not be duplicated. ie, shared rpdat files in the database.

Also, how would you create a requirements tree, BUT also allow overrides in specific instances. For example, in SW:Super Powers, let's say there are the following edges:

Fast, Type=Combat->requirements: Rank=Seasoned, Agility=d8+
Super Fast, Type=Combat ->requirements: Edge=Fast, Rank=Seasoned, Agility=d8+

So to take Fast, you have to have experience > 21XP normally(which moves youX from Novice Rank to Seasoned) and Agility of d8. However, there is a power that can be bought named Super Edge where you pick one one Edge of Type combat even if you don't meet the requirements EXCEPT in the case of the requirement being another Edge in the tree.

So first question is how to limit choices to only those you have meet the requirements as well as how to conditionally override those as needed..

Oh... where in the code is the editor located? I would like to take a look at it...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

<quote
jfrazierjr wrote:Jay, any more thoughts on meta settings for game files and being able to save each as it's own setting but perhaps change up when adding the setting.
This is already done. Look at some of the 4e game settings files for the splat books for details.
jfrazierjr wrote:Also, how would you create a requirements tree, BUT also allow overrides in specific instances. For example, in SW:Super Powers, let's say there are the following edges:

So to take Fast, you have to have experience > 21XP normally(which moves youX from Novice Rank to Seasoned) and Agility of d8. However, there is a power that can be bought named Super Edge where you pick one one Edge of Type combat even if you don't meet the requirements EXCEPT in the case of the requirement being another Edge in the tree.

So first question is how to limit choices to only those you have meet the requirements as well as how to conditionally override those as needed..
Couldn't you just modify the requirements to be what you have OR the needed edge?

jfrazierjr wrote:Oh... where in the code is the editor located? I would like to take a look at it...
It is in the init tools source. Search for the class GameTool. It is very broken at the moment. I started working on it a little bit, but I haven't got it back to where it was.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:<quote
jfrazierjr wrote:Jay, any more thoughts on meta settings for game files and being able to save each as it's own setting but perhaps change up when adding the setting.
This is already done. Look at some of the 4e game settings files for the splat books for details.
Ok..will try to take a look and get back to you on that.

jay wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Also, how would you create a requirements tree, BUT also allow overrides in specific instances. For example, in SW:Super Powers, let's say there are the following edges:

Couldn't you just modify the requirements to be what you have OR the needed edge?
Not really, unless I am not understanding you. I wonder if perhaps when you "buy" Edges if there can be a hidden field with say a default of "Normal". But when you "buy" it using the Super Edge power, that field would then be populated with say "Super Edge"... then when listing the list of Edges and filtering on Requirements, if could say something like:

Give me all Edges where ((Rank = Seasoned AND hasEdge=Fast AND Agility >= d8) OR (hasEdge=Fast AND Edge.Fast.Type = Super Edge))

EDIT: oh.. and the type of edge it was when chosen would have to be stored with the character file...

Would something like that be possible to filter a list within javascript or would it be required to drop down into Java with a custom dialog component?

jay wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Oh... where in the code is the editor located? I would like to take a look at it...
It is in the init tools source. Search for the class GameTool. It is very broken at the moment. I started working on it a little bit, but I haven't got it back to where it was.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get it going. I am happy to work on some code patches, but I would need to get an understanding of the guts since all I really know is MapTool's core code. If you want to start a discussion on IT/CT coding in the developer notes, I can open a thread or you can feel free to email/PM me as you get some time.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

jfrazierjr wrote:Not really, unless I am not understanding you. I wonder if perhaps when you "buy" Edges if there can be a hidden field with say a default of "Normal". But when you "buy" it using the Super Edge power, that field would then be populated with say "Super Edge"... then when listing the list of Edges and filtering on Requirements, if could say something like:

Give me all Edges where ((Rank = Seasoned AND hasEdge=Fast AND Agility >= d8) OR (hasEdge=Fast AND Edge.Fast.Type = Super Edge))

EDIT: oh.. and the type of edge it was when chosen would have to be stored with the character file...

Would something like that be possible to filter a list within javascript or would it be required to drop down into Java with a custom dialog component?
This should be possible in javascript, there are a couple of ways to do it.
  • Place it in the script that allows you to select edges. This way you can have an edge tied to the Super Edge.
  • Create a property that contains the valid edge list. Then make all of those edges check that property in their requirements
jay wrote:Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get it going. I am happy to work on some code patches, but I would need to get an understanding of the guts since all I really know is MapTool's core code. If you want to start a discussion on IT/CT coding in the developer notes, I can open a thread or you can feel free to email/PM me as you get some time.
I've not been doing a whole lot to it. My dev environment has been messed up since I switched OSs on my home computer. You are welcome to take a look and fix whatever you want. I'll try to figure out how to get my latest changes checked in, they do work a little bit better. All I ask is that you check with me before committing your changes.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

jay wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get it going. I am happy to work on some code patches, but I would need to get an understanding of the guts since all I really know is MapTool's core code. If you want to start a discussion on IT/CT coding in the developer notes, I can open a thread or you can feel free to email/PM me as you get some time.
I've not been doing a whole lot to it. My dev environment has been messed up since I switched OSs on my home computer. You are welcome to take a look and fix whatever you want. I'll try to figure out how to get my latest changes checked in, they do work a little bit better. All I ask is that you check with me before committing your changes.
Heh... well.. I don't have check in rights.. so the latter won't be an issue as I would have to send you one or more patch files. When you get some time, perhaps you can give me some insight into the CT/IT and/or the GameSettings code base so I can get up to speed. It looks like it will be at least a few more months before MT 1.4 is started in earnest, so I could use something to occupy my time.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Ok Jay... I can see the D&D 4E has several optional selections when loading the rpgame. However, I can't find anywhere that actually sets up those dependencies to call other rpgame files... I assumed it was in dnd4e.rpgame.. but cannot find any reference to the other game files...

Another question.. is this the only place where things can be chosen? Specifically, I would like to choose Savage Worlds Super Powers as one of the settings to load and then be able to prompt for a power level which would further choose available power points, etc if possible and save that to the game file so it is not prompted for again. Alternately, does that option selection dialog allow for a tree structure?

Dervish
Giant

Post by Dervish »

I am trying to design hybrid DND framwork that is basically borrowing something from each edition except 4th From BECMI i am taking weapon Mastery/Combat system From First edition i am taking the classes, Magic items and probably spells, From 2nd ed some more spells and some kits will become classes, from third ed/PF i am using level advancement and multi classing, Hit die progression etc. Where i am running into a problem is i am unsure how to code this whether i should code in into a token or if it would be easier and better to code it into a rptools-data file.

For instance I am using first edition AD&D stats for the sake of example we will use the the strength score we can from 3 up to 25 and we have Sub Stats Hit adj, Damage Adj, Weight Allowance, Open Doors and Bend Bars. how would i code that so that either my in game forms can access the info from either and RPdata file or if i stored it on a token....

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

There is a way to specify a mapping from CT/IT's game files to a token, but it is rather limited. You can't really see anything from a RPGame file in MT, as they use completely different data stores.

Kureyn
Kobold

Post by Kureyn »

I've made my own version of a setting file for a particular RPG system, having taken the default.rpgame and putting in the properties I wanted. I've started simple so as to develop it in stages, but the CharTool is having none of it; it refuses to load my rpgame file in the game selector. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I copied the default.rpgame file, renamed it to default.zip, then extracted it... made my changes, zipped it back up and renamed the new file as a .rpgame, then shoved it back in the 'game' folder under username/.chartool

Anything else I've missed? Is there some sort of syntax error in it, would that cause it to refuse to allow me to load it?

Kureyn
Kobold

Post by Kureyn »

Is there a way to have more than one supertype of character sheet at once? I've got a group trying to run a game using a Pokemon d20 system, and I would like to be able to have a separate sheet for Trainers and the 'Mons. I've currently put together a game setting file, with mostly simple programming - no scripts, just data and some slots - but CharTool refuses to let me load my .rpgame file, probably because I simply put two distinct property-sets in the property descriptor xml file. Is there another way to do this, or at least a way to hide half the property list depending on the "combatant type" or something? x_x

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Kureyn wrote:I've made my own version of a setting file for a particular RPG system, having taken the default.rpgame and putting in the properties I wanted. I've started simple so as to develop it in stages, but the CharTool is having none of it; it refuses to load my rpgame file in the game selector. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I copied the default.rpgame file, renamed it to default.zip, then extracted it... made my changes, zipped it back up and renamed the new file as a .rpgame, then shoved it back in the 'game' folder under username/.chartool

Anything else I've missed? Is there some sort of syntax error in it, would that cause it to refuse to allow me to load it?
That's the way to do it. Post your file here and I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's wrong.

If you're feeling really adventurous you can get the CT/IT code out of SVN and try the game settings editor.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Kureyn wrote:Is there a way to have more than one supertype of character sheet at once? I've got a group trying to run a game using a Pokemon d20 system, and I would like to be able to have a separate sheet for Trainers and the 'Mons. I've currently put together a game setting file, with mostly simple programming - no scripts, just data and some slots - but CharTool refuses to let me load my .rpgame file, probably because I simply put two distinct property-sets in the property descriptor xml file. Is there another way to do this, or at least a way to hide half the property list depending on the "combatant type" or something? x_x
You can have as many different character sheets as you want. You can't have two different sets of properties, but you can only show some in one form and others in a different one. I've done this with lots of the more complicated game settings files. The D&D 4e file has one sheet for characters and a different one for monsters.

Kureyn
Kobold

Post by Kureyn »

Sorry for the double-post, I didn't realize why the first one didn't show up until it told me again on the second. I attached the XML as it currently stands; I've got the two separate property-sets in there. How do you go about hiding stuff? (Is there a nice keyword I can search for in the D&D version? cause I've been monkey-copying that one for reference.)

E: No, seriously, where the heck is it? I've combed the 4e property descriptor file from top to bottom and seen no mention of what you're talking about. ;_;
Attachments
propertyDescriptorSet.xml
(16.27 KiB) Downloaded 405 times

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

You can only have one set of properties in the properties XML. It has to look just like the one that you copied. I know that you wanted two different sets, but you can't do it that way. Both sets of properties go together in the properties.XML. Also, on line 18 you had a <description> tag without the </description>. If you load the file into Firefox after you edit it, it will tell you if you have syntax errors.

To show two different views of the data you have to look at creating forms for them.

Return to “CharacterTool”