Adopters: Abeille

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

llatpog
Kobold

Re: Adoptors: Abeille

Post by llatpog »

Ok...I think I am having trouble and I am hoping you can help me out.

I downloaded Abeille. I took the DND4e.rpgame file, changed it to a .zip and extracted it. Now I have all the files I need.

I wanted to make a change to what character races there were...so I took the race.rpdat file and made a few changes (removed two and added one).

Afterwards, I took the base directory and compressed it to a .zip. I renamed the .zip to .rpgame and tried to load it into CT.

I get an error saying the rpgame file is not a valid file.

To test a theory, I then took the original rpgame file, copy it...then unzipped it...then rezipped it without making a single change. This file too got an error when I tried to add it.

Is there a specific program I need to use to created the compressed file? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks!

jay
RPTools Team

Re: Adoptors: Abeille

Post by jay »

I'm not really sure. It is just a regular zip file, but it does contain directories for the various data. When you unzipped the file did you keep the same directory structure? I know that some of the zip programs will remove it if you don't have the preferences set right. You could email me the file if you liked.

ruzalr
Kobold

Re: Adopters: Abeille

Post by ruzalr »

I'm having trouble matching up PDS property data type to Abeille form components. No matter what inheritance I try to do I always get

Code: Select all

Jul 2, 2010 11:28:25 PM net.rptools.chartool.ui.charsheet.CharSheetController construct
WARNING: There is no property data type defined for the component named 'name'. This component is ignored.
For the form component of jTextfield I should put name as "name" for the following <property> right?

Code: Select all

<property-sets>
		<properties>

</properties>
	</property-sets>

<properties>
		<property name="name" group="Description" visibility="IN_IT_TABLE">
			<description>The given name of the character.</description>
		</property>
	</properties>

The root property "name" should just be labeled "name" in Abeille. I really don't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible (I had a much more complicated PDS file assuming it would work, but am now going back to as basic as I can).

Is there anything I'm doing wrong to get a simple jTextfield form component to work?

ruzalr
Kobold

Post by ruzalr »

So I built chartool from svn trunk, and the component name and propertyDescriptorMap props are matching without doing anything.

The last change to chartool trunk was 7 months ago so I guess there wouldn't be any changes to trunk from 1-.0-b13 release? The only thing I added were some LOGGER.warning calls to see what was being output, which didn't end up mattering because it was working my build. Maybe there are some path issues with the official 1.0-b13 build that don't pop up with a trunk build?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Are you using a special component to display your "name" field? If, not just email me your Abeille file and I'll take a look.

ruzalr
Kobold

Post by ruzalr »

Sorry I haven't replied. I was working on learning all of this during a month in the Summer, but got burnt out.

I recently picked things up again working just with my own build of chartool checked out of SVN, and now chartool-1.0-b15. I took some time to look back at this again and ran chartool-1.0-b13 on what I have now and still get the property ignored errors. I'll see about sending you that rpgame file. It's unpolished and reflects trying to learn how PropertyDescriptor relates to Databases and the Abeille forms.

Elector Count
Kobold

Post by Elector Count »

You folks really need to Mavenize these tools. :)

Downloaded CT because I want to create a CT for WFRP 2e. Have Abeille, etc. but your "setup instructions" are torture for this seasoned Java Developer. If I want to set up Abeille for CT dev there's too much for a new comer. Downloading a Maven project with Abeille forms and net.rptools.* libraries as dependencies could change the kind of questions you get.

Suggestions for RPTools dev team...

Open a project repos by filing a support ticket with Sonatype's Open Source Software Repository Hosting for Nexus. You'll be using this repos to load net.rptools.* JARs to Maven Central. With this done, I could set up the project in my IDE with a button click, or search out the dependencies for my own Abeille project.

Maven-ize *Tool projects. This will single handedly open a larger field of devs to your projects and create agnostic projects for a dev's favorite IDE.

If you need help with this, I'm a seasoned maven-izer. I might try creating a Maven project locally for Abeille and share on github... unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to provide the dependency management for RPTools libraries as they do not exist in Maven Central.

I'll see what I can create though... probably a good start.
Another WFRP 2nd Edition Refugee

Inns of the Empire
My WFRP JavaScript tool inspired by the work Henrik Gronberg
Another Caffeinated Day
My mixed topic blog and WFRP Campaign Wiki
NearbyGamers.com
A simple, effective and international registry of gamers

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Elector Count wrote:You folks really need to Mavenize these tools. :)

Downloaded CT because I want to create a CT for WFRP 2e. Have Abeille, etc. but your "setup instructions" are torture for this seasoned Java Developer. If I want to set up Abeille for CT dev there's too much for a new comer. Downloading a Maven project with Abeille forms and net.rptools.* libraries as dependencies could change the kind of questions you get.

Suggestions for RPTools dev team...

Open a project repos by filing a support ticket with Sonatype's Open Source Software Repository Hosting for Nexus. You'll be using this repos to load net.rptools.* JARs to Maven Central. With this done, I could set up the project in my IDE with a button click, or search out the dependencies for my own Abeille project.

Maven-ize *Tool projects. This will single handedly open a larger field of devs to your projects and create agnostic projects for a dev's favorite IDE.

If you need help with this, I'm a seasoned maven-izer. I might try creating a Maven project locally for Abeille and share on github... unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to provide the dependency management for RPTools libraries as they do not exist in Maven Central.

I'll see what I can create though... probably a good start.
That would be cool. :)

We have had whited do some work on Maven-izing (as you put it) the MapTool code so some of the base work is done. And yes, many of the libraries aren't in a repository somewhere.

We plan to move to the OSGi framework for MT1.4. I'm reading the "OSGi with Equinox" book now and we will be using it as we move to Git for MT1.4 -- what is checked into Git will become the OSGi base. My limited understanding of OSGi at this point indicates that using a URL resource folder means the OSGi core will grab the necessary pieces on the fly, both for the user and for developers. Maven may not be needed at all if we wrap every library with OSGi version information. But I'm only on chapter 5 so there's still a lot to learn and the holidays are a busy time. :)

Elector Count
Kobold

Post by Elector Count »

Awesome news. I'm ramping up on `git' myself, so double awesome sauce.
Another WFRP 2nd Edition Refugee

Inns of the Empire
My WFRP JavaScript tool inspired by the work Henrik Gronberg
Another Caffeinated Day
My mixed topic blog and WFRP Campaign Wiki
NearbyGamers.com
A simple, effective and international registry of gamers

Tinmanjr
Kobold

Post by Tinmanjr »

For those of us having problems loading up an edited .rpgame file into CT, here is what I have found. I was having trouble getting any file to load up after I zipped using 7-zip and using the default 7zip compression format. This does not work for some reason with CT. When I changed the compression to .zip, however, it worked like a charm.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Java's only has built in support for .zip. No other zipped file format is supported.

the_treeboy
Kobold

Post by the_treeboy »

I tried to download Abeille, but it doesn't seem to exist. The downloads section on the Java.net page is empty and all download links on other sites lead there. Has it been removed for update, or is there something else more sinister going on?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Not sure what's going on. I'll try to post it when I get my internet at home to work again :\

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

the_treeboy wrote:I tried to download Abeille, but it doesn't seem to exist. The downloads section on the Java.net page is empty and all download links on other sites lead there. Has it been removed for update, or is there something else more sinister going on?
If you are willing to dig around, the Abeille Form designer is also included in the source code for MapTool(and perhaps other places)...

errr. here it is http://rptools.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... illeforms/
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

the_treeboy
Kobold

Post by the_treeboy »

jfrazierjr wrote:If you are willing to dig around, the Abeille Form designer is also included in the source code for MapTool(and perhaps other places)...

errr. here it is http://rptools.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... illeforms/
Thank you.

Return to “CharacterTool”