Adopters: Abeille

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

Masseurhanz
Kobold

Re: Adopters: Abeille

Post by Masseurhanz »

Is there anyone still around that can help with this thread? First going to say that I am in no way, shape or form a programmer. The most programming experience I have is making a couple of simple macros for maptool. I followed this thread and was able to get Abeille and load up the beans and files onto Abeille. Picked did the whole renaming one of the .rpgame files to .zip and extracted it and checked out some of the files just to try to get myself familier with how Abeille worked. Zipped the folder again and tried to rename the file with a .rpgame at the end. Nothing happened except the name change, the type of file did not change. I was right-clicking the file and going to properties and changed the name that way. I tried doing this on the desktop and in the original folder the .rpgame file came from. Is there some special way to change the type of file from .zip to .rpgame? Been fiddling around with this for hours and getting a bit frustrated. I am trying to make a character sheet and framework that is not a d20 system. Unless there is some easier way to be able to get a character sheet and playing enviornment in maptool that is not d20 I am all ears. The framework I am trying to make is for the Unisystem, more specifically Army of Darkness. I appreciate any and all help.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Masseurhanz wrote:Is there anyone still around that can help with this thread? First going to say that I am in no way, shape or form a programmer. The most programming experience I have is making a couple of simple macros for maptool. I followed this thread and was able to get Abeille and load up the beans and files onto Abeille. Picked did the whole renaming one of the .rpgame files to .zip and extracted it and checked out some of the files just to try to get myself familier with how Abeille worked. Zipped the folder again and tried to rename the file with a .rpgame at the end. Nothing happened except the name change, the type of file did not change. I was right-clicking the file and going to properties and changed the name that way. I tried doing this on the desktop and in the original folder the .rpgame file came from. Is there some special way to change the type of file from .zip to .rpgame? Been fiddling around with this for hours and getting a bit frustrated. I am trying to make a character sheet and framework that is not a d20 system. Unless there is some easier way to be able to get a character sheet and playing enviornment in maptool that is not d20 I am all ears. The framework I am trying to make is for the Unisystem, more specifically Army of Darkness. I appreciate any and all help.
I don't know a lot about CT and making new forms and such, but assuming you are using windows, it really does not matter. If Windows shows it as being type "zip" (in the Type" column in Windows Explorer), but it actually has the .rpgame at the end of the file name, you are fine...It's just some goofy windows junk. If it REALLY bothers you, you could always add a few entries into the registry, but the base underlying "issue"(as in not an issue, only a perceived one) is that none of the RPTools file types "register" themselves to a specific application. Oh, it's also possible that the file name extension may not matter any way. I know at least in MapTool, you can import any of the "filetypes" Maptool supports even if it has the .zip extension(well.... at least the few that I have tried don't complain and work fine anyway)

Not sure if I fully followed your thoughts or not, but I hope this helps.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Masseurhanz
Kobold

Post by Masseurhanz »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Masseurhanz wrote:Is there anyone still around that can help with this thread? First going to say that I am in no way, shape or form a programmer. The most programming experience I have is making a couple of simple macros for maptool. I followed this thread and was able to get Abeille and load up the beans and files onto Abeille. Picked did the whole renaming one of the .rpgame files to .zip and extracted it and checked out some of the files just to try to get myself familier with how Abeille worked. Zipped the folder again and tried to rename the file with a .rpgame at the end. Nothing happened except the name change, the type of file did not change. I was right-clicking the file and going to properties and changed the name that way. I tried doing this on the desktop and in the original folder the .rpgame file came from. Is there some special way to change the type of file from .zip to .rpgame? Been fiddling around with this for hours and getting a bit frustrated. I am trying to make a character sheet and framework that is not a d20 system. Unless there is some easier way to be able to get a character sheet and playing enviornment in maptool that is not d20 I am all ears. The framework I am trying to make is for the Unisystem, more specifically Army of Darkness. I appreciate any and all help.
I don't know a lot about CT and making new forms and such, but assuming you are using windows, it really does not matter. If Windows shows it as being type "zip" (in the Type" column in Windows Explorer), but it actually has the .rpgame at the end of the file name, you are fine...It's just some goofy windows junk. If it REALLY bothers you, you could always add a few entries into the registry, but the base underlying "issue"(as in not an issue, only a perceived one) is that none of the RPTools file types "register" themselves to a specific application. Oh, it's also possible that the file name extension may not matter any way. I know at least in MapTool, you can import any of the "filetypes" Maptool supports even if it has the .zip extension(well.... at least the few that I have tried don't complain and work fine anyway)

Not sure if I fully followed your thoughts or not, but I hope this helps.
Thanx for the response jfr, but like I said before I tried the renaming bit and CT is not recognizing the file. Don't know what you mean by "perceived" issue but when I follow the steps and CT doesn't recognize my folder(i.e. when I browse for games in CT and mine is not there) the logical thought would be that either I did something wrong or missed a step. Sorry in advance if my first explanation wasn't all that clear. OH yeah I am on Windows Vista if that helps any.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Masseurhanz wrote:Thanx for the response jfr, but like I said before I tried the renaming bit and CT is not recognizing the file. Don't know what you mean by "perceived" issue but when I follow the steps and CT doesn't recognize my folder(i.e. when I browse for games in CT and mine is not there) the logical thought would be that either I did something wrong or missed a step. Sorry in advance if my first explanation wasn't all that clear. OH yeah I am on Windows Vista if that helps any.
Sorry... I guess I am not quite understanding the issue. Once you have saved the game file in a zip and renamed, can you open the file in winzip, 7zip or whatever and view the contents? You might need to (on windows.. not sure about others) hold down the shift key, right click, and select "open with"(or your zip program if it "just shows up"). Make sure the directory structure is the same inside the zip file when compared with the source one (same foldernames, etc or at least something that makes some logical sense) Also, how are you starting CharacterTool? You need to be using the download version and my suggestion would be to start it from a commandline(so.. something like:

Code: Select all

cd c:\locationofyourCT
java -jar chartool-1.0.b15.jar
Doing it this way will dump errors to the command line shell if there are any that might not show up otherwise.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Added the newest character sheet components here.

allanimal
Kobold

Re:

Post by allanimal »

jay wrote:You can download the Abeille Forms builder here. Download version 2.0.
This link no longer works. Any idea where to get it these days?

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Return to “CharacterTool”