Output added to INPUT function?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Myrhdraak
Kobold

Output added to INPUT function?

Post by Myrhdraak »

I have been looking around trying to find a way for getting variable inputs from the GM, initiated from a Token Macro. I want to be able to request input on things that the GM knows but might not want to share with the players.
For me having "Output" parameter added to the INPUT function would solve this, i.e. a syntax like:

input(inputField, ..., ...)
inputField = "variableName|value|prompt|inputType|options|OUTPUT"

OUTPUT - contains who the output of the input function should go to, values are (defaults to "self"):
"self" - Display only to person who clicked on the token macro.
"gm" - Display to GM.

If there are other simple ways to achieve this that I have not figured out, I am all ears ...

/Myrhdraak

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Output added to INPUT function?

Post by aliasmask »

You can run macros on other clients using execLink and execFunction. If you're going to have a back and forth though, you need to break up your macro in to several different ones.

Code: Select all

macro1 (player1)
- get data
- call macro2(data)
macro2 (player2)
- process data
- call macro3(results)
macro3 (player1)
-process results
2 and 3 could be combined if you don't need to go back to player1.

Myrhdraak
Kobold

Post by Myrhdraak »

I need to go between Player and GM. Tried to use a Player macro that used the MACRO function to execute a macro on the LibraryToken which I hoped the GM somehow should own and thereby use that Macro to call an INPUT function. Result did not show on the GM screen, just on Player screen.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You'll need to share all your code if you need detailed help.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”