The Deck Tool

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Duvik wrote:alrighty, i have all the numbered cards from 1-10 in each suit... all i have left to make are the 3 face cards for each suit and a couple jokers.

If any artists wish to submit something for the Ace and Face cards, that'd be killer. I'd prefer to use only original art with permission of artist... otherwise, I'll find something else.

Any artist who submits something can have his name added to bottom of card if desired.
Can I submit my face? Oh man that'd be awesome. ;)

I need to figure out a good way I can contribute to the project... not for my name on the bottom of a card or anything like that just I feel the need to give back!

Duvik
Giant

Post by Duvik »

send me a picture of your face...

if ye be handsome, you will be the King or Jack... 8)

if ye be scary... ye can be the joker :lol:

if ye be pretty... ye can be the queen :shock:
Get Paid to Run Games! Check out The Elite Array at The Tangled Web

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

LOL Duvik, cards look great.

This all sounds awesome, cannot wait to see this working and usable. Trevor, I will finish up that SW deck I was working on earlier and get it off to you when I get back from Japan.

One thing that would be great if worked in is the ability to hold your card for SW initiative. If a player decides to hold his card, the next round everyone gets a new card BUT HIM. So it would be great to be able to control how gets cards dealt to them and who does not. Not sure how that would be worked in easily, sure Trev can figure it out though.
It's actually easier for me to "shuffle" the deck than to keep track of some X cards that have been looked at and not randomize them.
Not sure I fully understand that statement, but wouldn't you need to keep track of what cards were dealt so that when you dealt again, you did not get any duplicates?
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Duvik
Giant

Post by Duvik »

I'm seeing it as a simple deal and draw, a reshuffle would just signal end of cards in stack but...

how about a simple 'return_to_deck' function that would emulate returning a card to the cards_available array...

it could have an option for

return_to_bottom
return_to_top
return_random -- returns and reshuffles 'remaining_cards' array

for Snikle's example, by the way, HEYO SNIKLE!!!!...

a deal is simply a draw but... cards should be dealt face down and have an owner... the owner could then have option to turn card face up or not?

not sure what the exact rule is in that particular game so i can't really say much.

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

To add to the MtG requirements, cards will need to be 'tapped' so make sure that they can be rotated after being drawn. :D
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Wouldn't the cards be more useful if they functioned like tokens in at least two ways that are planned but not yet implemented in MT?

1) Be a part of the .token format.
2) Which would, in-turn, support token states (for flipping, turning, etc.)

In short, the "Card Tool" functionality doesn't even really have to be cards only... But a tool that allows custom tokens to be put into an array and used for all kind of game mechanics.

You could, for example:

1) Use images of Dice.
2) Use Knuckle Bones.
3) Coins.
4) Stones.
5) Teeth.
6) Randomly pick "teams" from a shared pool.

Etc... and the list goes on and on.

Bottom line, my take is that this tool would gain a whole lot more functionality if/when the .token format has been established.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Full Bleed wrote:Wouldn't the cards be more useful if they functioned like tokens in at least two ways that are planned but not yet implemented in MT?

Good point... making the .token format supportive of cards and all the features cards might have.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Full Bleed wrote:Wouldn't the cards be more useful if they functioned like tokens in at least two ways that are planned but not yet implemented in MT?

I concur! This is an excellent idea!
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Duvik
Giant

Post by Duvik »

alrighty... I got all the cards put together and i can easily edit any changes that are suggested so far as images on the face cards. I used my own art as well as three images from the gallery that looked like they were created for or donated to RPTools since they appear in the included miniatures that come with an rpTools install.

link to the zip file with all images Cards.Zip

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

RPMiller wrote:

I concur! This is an excellent idea!
Hmm, how about this, I'll focus on getting multi image tokens implemented, and see where that takes us. There are a couple of things that would make having a distinct deck valuable:

- Shuffling
- Stacking
- Insert back into stack (recollect cards)
- Different images based on who is looking at it (token ownership isn't enough here)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:Hmm, how about this, I'll focus on getting multi image tokens implemented, and see where that takes us.
Excellent.

I suspect it will not only add something significant to MT, but will give a more flexible foundation on which to build the Deck Tool's core functionality.

I actually can't wait to see this implemented. I've heard other VTT's talk about multi-image token support... but none that I know have actually pulled it off. It will be another nice first for MT. :)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Full Bleed wrote:It will be another nice first for MT. :)
That's fuel for the fire, baby !

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Make sure on multi image tokens we can specify a different size for each image if necessary.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Dracorat wrote:Make sure on multi image tokens we can specify a different size for each image if necessary.
Remind me about this again after I get in step 1 and 2 :)

Dracorat
Dragon

Post by Dracorat »

Will Do, mon capitan!

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”