The Deck Tool

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Looks great! But I agree the logo is crowding the A a bit.
I cast firecube! ~4E

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That looks really good with the wolf.

Snik has sent me a great set of cards to use as the default deck, so I think we're set there. But the decks will be highly configurable (think instancing a table) so you can put in whatever images you want
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:But the decks will be highly configurable (think instancing a table) so you can put in whatever images you want
That will be sweet! man, there are so many things we could do with Maptool at that point that we can't do now. It will open up so many more gaming ideas. Cool!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

trevor

Post by trevor »

In fact vry made an interesting comment to me that it could be used to define super custom dice. Build the table to roll the dice you want, then put dice images as results instead of card results. Neat.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:In fact vry made an interesting comment to me that it could be used to define super custom dice. Build the table to roll the dice you want, then put dice images as results instead of card results. Neat.
Very cool idea! And even better - you have all those dice images I made so that part is already done! :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Very cool idea! And even better - you have all those dice images I made so that part is already done! :)
That thought actually came to mind. Which led me to think, if I can make a standard set of dice using a simple table, it then becomes trivial to put tables into the quick-roll bar that I was going to make for the dice. Which means crazy trivial mechanism to run arbitrary tables. Neat

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Wow. Now there's a thought. In fact, it opens up a huge number of possibilities. Imaging random monster encounters where you actually put the image of the monster in the table. How about that random treasure table you have. Cards with front and back image on one side, effect on the other. Imagine being able to drag that one your token. :-)

This may be one of the /tmacro functions that seems simple at first but has a huge impact on the functionality of maptool.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

trevor wrote:In fact vry made an interesting comment to me that it could be used to define super custom dice. Build the table to roll the dice you want, then put dice images as results instead of card results. Neat.
This would make it possible to play HeroScape via MapTool! Oh the ideas...
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Stop teasing already!... :evil: :wink:
Game On!

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

While I haven't seen a huge need for the card deck, I'm starting to come around. I ran across a supplement I'd used in the past for my D&D games and wanted to share a picture to show some other possible uses of this tool.

If you want Trevor, I'll break up the images w/ their matching backsides (there's different info. for each card) and rescale them so they'll fit in with your program if you want. Please note, these WERE published at one time and while I am not presently aware of the copyright status of these pieces, if I make them available to the community I don't want to be attacked for the possible infringement. In other words, please don't ask me to contribute them and then let me be attacked me for doing so. Thanks. ;)

Oh yeah, another "tarot" example I came across from my old supplements is this one for the Call of Cthulhu PnP RPG:

trevor

Post by trevor »

those are creepy cool :)

drswoboda
Dragon

Post by drswoboda »

Thankfully "The Unspeakable One, Him Who Is Not to be Named" is not pictured here. We would not be safe. . .
-David

carpens
Cave Troll

Post by carpens »

drswoboda wrote:Thankfully "The Unspeakable One, Him Who Is Not to be Named" is not pictured here. We would not be safe. . .
-David
The set needs a blank card.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

trevor wrote:those are creepy cool :)
The craziest part is that I ran across them like two days after reading more about the deck tool (which I'd been ignoring a bit because I didn't see a pressing need for it).

WARNING: RANDOM THOUGHT- In all of my Deadlands games, I ask my players to actually play cards, including cheating, as opposed to just rolling dice when they gamble because it adds so much to the feel of the game. Deck Tool would help capture that feeling despite the distance. Crazy cool.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

Speaking of Deadlands, I recently ran across some Deadlands cards. Here's a couple of samples (these were officially published IIRC- I have them in .pdf format)

*BTW, the backs just had the deadlands logo so I didn't bother putting them up.

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”