what about this?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

It is as nothing compared to baratus114:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2611

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

wounded_badger wrote:They would have to prove in court without a shadow of a doubt...
Reasonable doubt only applies in criminal cases. This would be a civil matter.

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

so how do i get it huge then :P

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You set your avatar so it links an external url.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

How do I make my Map textures get into the quick map thing or how do I make them where no matter how far you zoom out the whole board is covered in the texture?

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

RPTroll wrote:You set your avatar so it links an external url.
You've done it down, here dawns the era of massive avatars

(Runs off to create one)
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Skyryder wrote:While a work may be copyrighted, there is also the doctrine of Fair Use that mucks up the law a bit. So instead of being a black and white issue, it's more like 256 shades of grey. You can find out more about 'Fair Use' in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Act;
Fair Use does not include wholesale copying and pasting. Most places probably don't care enough to pursue it, but it's also a matter of ethics.

For example, there are TONS of 3d car models out there which are clearly representations of copyrighted materials. But the modelers tell me that the automobile industries have not attempted to sue anyone for any of them, probably because it's free advertising. If the models somehow showed their product in a poor light, that could change. However, the difference is the automobile industry isn't selling a graphics product, video game makers are...
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

Can anyone answer my question about the map? (above) I am tryign to make the map bigger and fill up the screen no matter how far you zoom out like with the texture it opens up with of the green grass, no matter how far out you zoom or expand it is always green grass....I cant figure out how to make a texture that will do that much less get it installed in the quick map part

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

wounded_badger wrote:How do I make my Map textures get into the quick map thing or how do I make them where no matter how far you zoom out the whole board is covered in the texture?
Depends on whether you are using 1.2 or 1.3 ... ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:
wounded_badger wrote:How do I make my Map textures get into the quick map thing or how do I make them where no matter how far you zoom out the whole board is covered in the texture?
Depends on whether you are using 1.2 or 1.3 ... ?
In 1.2 find the texture you want, right click->New Unbounded Map

In 1.3 find the texture you want, right click->New Map, if the texture is small enough (less than 500x500) it'll automatically use the texture for the background. You could also Map->New Map and click the Background button and select your texture from the Resource Library
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Skyryder
Kobold

Post by Skyryder »

Steel Rat wrote:
Fair Use does not include wholesale copying and pasting. Most places probably don't care enough to pursue it, but it's also a matter of ethics.
My point was that issue isn't quite as clear cut as it may seem. In Digital Crime Scene photography, when an image is re-sized or pixels manipulated in any way, it is no longer legally considered a copy. It's either an enhancement or modification. I don't know if this could be argued in a copyright case or not but there is some precedent here. (I'm a Project engineer for a company that does Crime Scene image management systems.) Every token I've ever made for MT has required some pixel manipulation of the source.

So while it could be argued that wounded Badger's tokens aren't "wholesale" copies, I still wouldn't distribute them on-line without first obtaining a prior blessing from any source(s) I used in the work.

I think getting permission to distribute such works and recognizing your source(s) is the ethical thing to do regardless of whether a resource is legally copyrighted or not. So in the matter of ethics, I'm in full agreement with Steel Rat.
"But that's not the way Dark vision works in the real world."

wounded_badger
Kobold

Post by wounded_badger »

I would agree with you on most of that, and what I was offering was a way for people to enjoy another facit ofthe game they love to play...as I said, it was for people to enjoy and if they wanted them for their use then I coudl give them to them, not displaying them?....well, yeah that would probably keep it low key...just trying to help out people who helped me make an idea happen and learn how to use their tools. Sorry this created such a huge debate, just trying to help others have fun like me. BTW I have two codexes (Black Templar and Dark Angles) completely done, including casualties, vehicle wrecks, craters, and seperate robe pieces to affix to any Space Marine Army or any army you want to...and YES the Dark Angels have some robes and hoods now....crafty!

OFF WITH THEIR......HOODS!!!! (Braveheart)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Skyryder wrote:It's either an enhancement or modification.
Doesn't matter, since copyright law specifically covers "derivative works". This is why the estate of Tolkien can get money from a company producing an online gaming system based (however loosely) on LOTR, for example...

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”