Lock movement w/o Initiative Panel

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Lock movement w/o Initiative Panel

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I'm working on writing my own initiative "panel" so that I can customize what's sent to the chat window and add in condition tracking, automatic saving throws and such. I would like to lock movement, but not have to use the built in initiative panel. Is there a way to do that?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Lock movement w/o Initiative Panel

Post by CoveredInFish »

I think real locking is not possible ATM without using the ini panel. You could use the ini panel just for that reason but that would be somewhat clumsy.

There is a patch around here that trigger a onMoveComplete-event. I dont know if it will make it into an official release but with that event you could lock movement easily.

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

I don't want to use the Init panel because I can't get rid of the Soandso has gained initiative text that is displayed whenever a player gains initiative.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It's also in the Tool menu under "Lock Player Movement". I had to use that at least once when the players were moving about too much and didn't want them to reveal an area before I could type my text.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

But this locks all players movement and cant be applied by macro at all. No solution for the OP .. but a good reminder anyway.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I was thinking of movpad for movement. That's what I plan to do for my game when I can add movpad to it. Plothos made a pretty nice stand alone init panel as well you may want to check out.

prestidigitator
Dragon

Post by prestidigitator »

You can also turn of auto-reveal. That requires a little more work and doesn't keep the players from moving their tokens out of turn, but it does allow you to control the worst consequences of bad movement (revealing too much too soon).
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

aliasmask wrote:I was thinking of movpad for movement.
Ah .. yes that would work.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

prestidigitator wrote:You can also turn of auto-reveal. That requires a little more work and doesn't keep the players from moving their tokens out of turn, but it does allow you to control the worst consequences of bad movement (revealing too much too soon).
True. The Preference is client-side and per-client, but the checkbox could be turned off when the server is started...

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Is there any way at all to get an option put in the suppress the message sent when a player gains initiative?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Yea, it's not to hard to do, but then it comes to who will take on the issue to add it. It would take changes to the preferences jfrm, AppPreferences, and umm not quite sure where it is in the Init code ATM. I found it one time as I was thinking of removing it myself, but never actually did so.

I know Rumble had talked several times about adding get/end event macro calls to the init code, but I have no idea if he was serious about making the effort or just wondering.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

You don't need event macro's for initiative. I just want to get rid of the message so I can substitute my own. For start/end init, you can just macro those events into an End Turn initiative macro on the campaign panel and script them however you want.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:You don't need event macro's for initiative. I just want to get rid of the message so I can substitute my own. For start/end init, you can just macro those events into an End Turn initiative macro on the campaign panel and script them however you want.
I would argue the former statement is an opinion with which I highly disagree, but you are right that one has nothing directly to do with the other in terms of code. My point was that if anyone were to do the former, then the latter would most likely be taken care of as well and would be the responsibility of the macro writer.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Anything that would be accomplished with start/end initiative events can be handled in an End Turn macro that all players and the GM must use. It's the easiest way to hand it, because you can already do that and doesn't require any additional resources spent on modifying initiative code in MapTool.

I just want to get rid of that annoying message. I stole Rumble's idea and highlight the token that has initiative with green arrows on the token itself as a state. It's very effective and works so much better than trying to get players to watch the chat window for their turn.

Now if I could also force center and zoom players on their token using the macro, it would be awesome for keeping the flow of the game going.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:Anything that would be accomplished with start/end initiative events can be handled in an End Turn macro that all players and the GM must use. It's the easiest way to hand it, because you can already do that and doesn't require any additional resources spent on modifying initiative code in MapTool.
Again, we will have to agree to disagree. IMO, without being able to lock down the done button, you don't have a total solution since users don't have to use a custom end turn macro(I have one in my FW, but as GM, I always forget to use those macros as do most of my players.

Return to “Macros”