Grouping Macros

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Shadowfireomega
Giant

Grouping Macros

Post by Shadowfireomega »

Is there a way to make more macro sets within a window? I'm making some macros and I don't want them to all be grouped together, but in separate lines or w/e. Like this:

[ Macro macro2 macro3 macro4 macro5]
[ Macro6 Macro7 Macro8 Macro9 Macro10]
"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
-Benjamin Fisher
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
-Miles Kington
"Space is his favorite thing in the world!"
-Kayla Kros
"Anything times 1 is 1"
-Kayla Kros

Rumble
Deity

Re: Grouping Macros

Post by Rumble »

When you edit a macro, you'll see a field at the top of the editing screen labeled "Group." This lets you cluster macro buttons by whatever organization you like. Note that group names are always sorted alphabetically, though, so if you want a particular order either make sure the group names go in that order, or number them, or whatever (e.g. "1. Combat Macros", "2. Character Editing", etc.).

Shadowfireomega
Giant

Post by Shadowfireomega »

thanks man, works great
"I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
-Benjamin Fisher
"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
-Miles Kington
"Space is his favorite thing in the world!"
-Kayla Kros
"Anything times 1 is 1"
-Kayla Kros

Torlan
Kobold

Post by Torlan »

Hello everyone, just a newbie here :D

Well, I know this is an old post, still I have one question on the subject: can I have two macros with the same name in two different groups?
I mean this:
macro "CharSheet" in group "EditSheet"
macro "CharSheet" in group "ViewSheet"

Thanks in advance for your kindness :wink:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can, but I don't recommend it. Not sure why you would if they do exactly the same thing. What I recommend is to add some formatting to one of the macro like "<b>CharSheet</b>" so they won't have the exact same name, internally.

Torlan
Kobold

Post by Torlan »

aliasmask wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:45 am
You can, but I don't recommend it. Not sure why you would if they do exactly the same thing. What I recommend is to add some formatting to one of the macro like "<b>CharSheet</b>" so they won't have the exact same name, internally.
Thanks for the answer and for the advice!
Just to clarify, the two macros won't do the same thing, as the one in "EditSheet" group would enable the player to edit the character sheet (maybe just at creation, the entire system is still in the design phase...) while the one in the other group would just let her/him...well...view it :wink: .
Do I understand correctly, from what you're saying, that there may be some mis-execution in the two macros if the same name were to be used?

Again, thanks a lot!
Roses are grey, violets are grey...I'm dead and colorblind!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Torlan wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:34 am
Do I understand correctly, from what you're saying, that there may be some mis-execution in the two macros if the same name were to be used?
Yes. How would MT know which to run? You only point to the lib that the macro is on when calling it.

So, don't do that.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Torlan
Kobold

Post by Torlan »

Full Bleed wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:46 pm
Torlan wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:34 am
Yes. How would MT know which to run? You only point to the lib that the macro is on when calling it.

So, don't do that.
Sorry for replying after such a long time... been busy as can be :|

Thanks for the clear explanation, I'll avoid such pitfalls now :wink:

Have a good one!
Roses are grey, violets are grey...I'm dead and colorblind!

Return to “Macros”