Frame sharing, limitation or possible?

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Altropos
Kobold

Frame sharing, limitation or possible?

Post by Altropos »

I'm trying to add a gameclock to my framework. The idea is that the game clock will sit up in the corner of the screen counting up the phases and rounds of the game while players switch maps and chat in the normal chat window.

So far I've got it opening up a frame and working with a couple of 'Add phase' 'Subtract phase' buttons calling to a lib token. It works great. BUT when I tested it out with another person. He could use just as I could (as intended at this point) but the frame didn't update for the other person. Is this an inherant limitation of frames or am I overlooking something?

-Alt

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Frame sharing, limitation or possible?

Post by wolph42 »

Frames only update on each client seperately. You can however autoexecute macros on other pcs and through thst you van update other frames as well. Search the forum for this or have a look at my bag of tricks, the doors section here i make use of this.

Altropos
Kobold

Post by Altropos »

wolph42 wrote:Frames only update on each client seperately. You can however autoexecute macros on other pcs and through thst you van update other frames as well. Search the forum for this or have a look at my bag of tricks, the doors section here i make use of this.
I tried looking though your code and it's a couple grades above my understanding. But I saw you used broadcast and MacroLink. I tried poking around with these and Macrolink looks like it should work since it says:
"Additionally, if you send the link to the chat window, it will automatically be executed by any recipients as soon as they receive it. "
Yet, that's not what I'm getting. It sends the link text fine and if the player clicks on it the clock updates as it should. I'm not getting the autoexecution.

It sounds simple enough:
I click a button to advance the game clock
It directs everybody (including me) to run Updateclock on the Lib token
Updateclock shows everyone the new phase and round.

I'm missing something basic

Altropos
Kobold

Post by Altropos »

Problem solved. I was sooo close to the solution. Running a client window helped alot. Thanks for your help here and in the other thread I found in a search.

It wasn't that, I just didn't get everything working together up until the end. I'm going to add another client and make it's working for everybody, even when they're not impersonating anything.

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I can't remember how I did it now, but there was something about onChange something or other that would update a frame on every client. I used it to create a combat log for my D&D 4e game. The combat log was awesome and should be posted somewhere on these forums.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Yeah I created a combat log as well attached to a framework macro called "Who attacked me?" which builds a round by round breakdown of sustained damage in the token's "Notes" tab. Unfortunately, my players rarely use it despite constantly asking, "I'm bloodied already? Why?". Do your players use yours? How did you lead these horses to water and get them to drink :?:

Anyway, I think each player having an updatable frame unique to their situation is handy. Communal news is better suited to the Chat pane. I open a frame to display results of individual skill checks so each player knows what knowledge he has gained, obstacles overcome, etc.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Return to “Macros”