Adding State durations to the character sheet?

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Oryan77
Dragon

Adding State durations to the character sheet?

Post by Oryan77 »

Has anyone written any code that I could use for adding the duration of conditions to the character sheet whenever a State is added to a token? For example:

I have macros to turn on each different State that I use. If I click on my "Blinded" macro, I'd like a window to appear that asks me how many rounds it lasts. When I type in the number, it places this information on the character sheet. If I mouseover the token that now has the Blinded state, the portrait sheet will show something like, "Blinded (4) rounds".

Has anyone already done anything like this?

skester
Giant

Re: Adding State durations to the character sheet?

Post by skester »

Just adding it a display is easy enough.

Decreasing the rounds with initiative (and automatically removing the condition) is what's a pain in the butt. Since there's nothing built in, you'd have to create your own. For fastest results, you have an intiative library which stores all the information that is checked instead of going to each token individually.

I have links to forum threads about this on my other computer, I'll see if I can get to them, but you may be able to find them.

In D&D 3.x I had an initiative framework which would automatically add and remove Demoralize results and ask the Bard if he wanted to continue using his Bard Song. Made my life a lot easier. Bard could stare down a dragon - demoralize was a very effective tool for him.

skester

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

I wouldn't need anything automated for what I do. If I had a menu appear where I can make my State selection and type in a number of rounds so it appears on the portrait area, that's fine. I can manually change the number each round. Or if I could use the macro to manually change the number each round, that would be even better.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

You could probably arrange a pretty in depth json, then have a block on the 'character sheet' to display current states with their rounds in ().

Code: Select all

json.set("","Blinded",4,"Dazed",1)
Could probably also work in an 'if' command for the display menu; if (state) >0, it displays the round counter, otherwise it doesn't display (so you aren't left with a character sheet displaying all states, even ones you don't have, constantly. I just recently finished resistances/vulnerabilities being applied, as well as versatility macros (in example, a character has a shield but doesn't always use it; so a quick macro to apply the ac bonuses, armor check penalties, etc to equip and unequip it). Displaying a state index is my next step, and I think I'ma try the json method there, so just thought I'd put it out there; hope it helps. I'm not sure how complicated the if commands can get for the properties, but I know I use a lot of 'if target's stat sucks, minimum 1' for all the 3.5/4e crap that does the minimum one thing lol.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

I wouldn't know how to even begin setting that up. I can never learn this stuff and every time I read the wiki, I spent an hour trying to do one thing and then end up more confused than I was when I started. :P

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Soo.. why keep track of increment/decrement on the sheet at all... just index the duration by round number, so if currentround> this row's round, then remove this row.

Seems much simpler that updating the sheet each and every time.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

jfrazierjr wrote:Soo.. why keep track of increment/decrement on the sheet at all... just index the duration by round number, so if currentround> this row's round, then remove this row.

Seems much simpler that updating the sheet each and every time.
That could work but I don't know how to set something like that up. I don't know how to create code and I am never successful even when I try to read the wiki. :D

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Hmm ... most big frameworks have some support for this, or not? If you dont want to code this you should look around what ready-to-use solutions are there.

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

CoveredInFish wrote:Hmm ... most big frameworks have some support for this, or not? If you dont want to code this you should look around what ready-to-use solutions are there.
I did try out the Timer token and it did some really nice stuff. But it was a bit clunkier than what I wanted. I found one other condition duration macro but I couldn't get it to work. Other than that, I haven't been able to find any frameworks that do this sort of thing. If anyone knows of any that exist, please let me know which framework it is and I'll check it out. Certainly people are doing this stuff with their games.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Rumbles framework has a 'manage conditions' frame/form that you can just click to pop up a small dialog showing all conditions on X token, and you can dissolve them or refresh/alter them from it. Moreover, if you use his custom initiative buttons, it will even automatically remove the conditions on the appropriate round, ask for saves, etc. Its a bit too online oriented for me, so I made a very basic initiative tracker for ongoing that automatically applies the damage, but that's the only functionality I use, to date.

The forum post 'basic coding + initiative' I started way back when has an -amazing- step by step guide for what wiki instructions to use, when; by W42 if you'd like to check that out, as well; maybe his step by step will help you out.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

Return to “Macros”