Tip: using full width of chatbox

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Tip: using full width of chatbox

Post by wolph42 »

Most users of the Framework might have occasionally been annoyed by the indent created in the chat by the token picture and either the player name or the impersonated token name. Especially with large tex output or even tables you get a big white left margin which isn't used at all.

If you're looking to solve this then there are two reasonably simple methods:

The first method is a quite new function to MT and used by me and that is Wiki: broadcast() this function not only uses full width but also allows more control over who gets to see what AND it has the advantage to output text to chat while the macro is running. As you might or might not know, the macro output text is ported to the chat AFTER the macro is done, with broadcast this can done DURING the running macro.
The disadvantage is that is does not show the token picture nor the name of whose talking.

The second method is really simple, but something not many realise. The chat box is essentially also a html form thus it allows html which is processed in the chat box. This means that the 'indent' you always see when you type something in the chat is created by a <table> tag. So if you first close (</table>)this tag then the indent will be gone.
Thus simply making sure that your output starts with </table> will make sure that your text output starts on a new line without any indents.
Here to test:

Code: Select all

[h:broadcast("broadcast method<br>broadcast method<br>broadcast method<br>broadcast method")] 

normal use<br>normal use<br>normal use<br>normal use 

</table>/table method<br>/table method<br>/table method<br>/table method<br> 
resulting in:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (870.95 KiB) Viewed 673 times

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: Tip: using full width of chatbox

Post by mfrizzell »

Thanks Wolph
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Have you looked at the chat log when using this trick? I wonder if it is well-formed (eg. if maptool opens the table again). I know that it works fine in MT.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

CoveredInFish wrote:Have you looked at the chat log when using this trick? I wonder if it is well-formed (eg. if maptool opens the table again). I know that it works fine in MT.
I've never used the chat log, so no clue. I wouldn't even know how to access it.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

wolph42 wrote:
CoveredInFish wrote:Have you looked at the chat log when using this trick? I wonder if it is well-formed (eg. if maptool opens the table again). I know that it works fine in MT.
I've never used the chat log, so no clue. I wouldn't even know how to access it.
There's an option to save the chat log under File | Save Chat Log History. You can save as a txt file to view html code.

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Its not that important to me either, but I'll test it when no one beats me to it. Wont be before the weekand ...

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

Thanks Wolph, I will surely try these.

Return to “Macros”