Inventory management via Maptool framework

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

ziltmilt
Dragon

Inventory management via Maptool framework

Post by ziltmilt »

I know there's a few different frameworks for managing PC inventory, and at least 1 of these frameworks is fairly generic. I'm wondering if I should try to adapt one of these for my own game, or build a simple solution myself.

Currently, I use a huge Excel file with tons of VBA to manage inventory, encumbrance, passage of time, random encounters, weather, and even phases of the moon! It works very well, although I'd like for players to be able to see what their characters are toting around without having to get a report from my Excel file. One idea I had was that the Excel file could spit out a string, formatted as an array of JSON objects, which could then be pasted into a Maptool library token via macro. Then, a campaign macro could simply read the JSON array and detail how much stuff a selected token carries, how encumbered he is, how much wealth he has, and the remaining capacity of backpacks & sacks.

How well would Maptool be able to display all this? Ideally, a treeview type control, like you see in Windows, would be ideal. I know you can build a treeview list via HTML and JavaScript. Is a treeview control , or something like it, beyond Maptool's capabilities? I know you can build HTML forms within Maptool, for things like character sheets, but I've never attempted it.

Return to “Macros”