Audio Streaming Capabilties

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

ziltmilt
Dragon

Audio Streaming Capabilties

Post by ziltmilt »

Has anyone put together tips on how to use the new audio streaming in Maptool? I'm eager to try this.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Audio Streaming Capabilties

Post by jfrazierjr »

I have not tried it but it seems fairly easy. There are two critical things to know:

1) No sound is saved or transmitted in the campaign file(and likely never will be due to copyright concerns). If you want someone on a remote machine(typically when playing with people on the internet), then you must have the sound file on some type of hosting such as Dropbox(wiki has an example) that allows a public URL.

2) The "play" macro only plays on the LOCAL machine. If you want a stream to play on someone elses(or all players for the matter), you need to use the execLink functions(I think that's what it's called) to run the "play" macro(the same for stopping audio).

There is a channel on the discord for sound as well.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

And Aliasmask created a lib token for working with audio that can be found on Discord in the #music-and-fx channel.

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

Thanks for the link. I downloaded mtplayer token. This is impressive! Can you recommend an online repository to place my sound files?

I'm building a d6 Star Wars framework, and the inclusion of sound will add so much. Sound fx and music is a major ingredient for Star Wars, and this capability will be fantastic.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I noticed that the mtplayer is not funtioning correctly due to changes in the macro functions. Im working on a different approach, but for now here a concept version (stopSound is not working yet)
Attachments
lib_mtplayer.rptok
(117.81 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

The one posted in the forums is the older one before the code changes. I made a newer one that's pinned in discord under the music section. There's actually been other changes after that one, but shouldn't affect how that one works.

There is definitely more work that can be done to make the process of using audio nicer/easier.
Attachments
lib mtplayer 11-20-19.rptok
(120.48 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Thnx. Didn't know that. I had a look though and that version still has issues. that and my approach differs quite a bit.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Ok, stop sound is now working properly. there's not much left of the original code as I've rewritten nearly everything. I'm planning to further improve this and then move it inside the BoT
Attachments
lib_mtplayer_W42_2020-02-27 v0.4.rptok
(119.56 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

raazorfiend
Kobold

Post by raazorfiend »

I cant make this work neither with URL or local- any guides around?

wyrmwood_lives
Cave Troll

Post by wyrmwood_lives »

This feature is very cool. I setup a node js server on a Virtual Box debian virtual machine and poked a hole in my router for a virtual server, which I keep off/local unless I'm hosting. I am having trouble getting it to work with https, because java wants a signed certificate, which I generated, but it doesn't match my public IP. However, the playClip and playStream work with http, so that isn't necessary (though it is for campaign repositories). I have a "jukebox" that plays random ambient sounds and music, and then when initiative starts, switches over to "battle" music. I have curated some music from soundtracks, but I tend to favor the Elder Scrolls series, as there is a clear distinction between "ambient dark" and "ambient light" and "battle" music, especially in their older games like Oblivion, Morrowind and Skyrim. I have also pulled in some resources from NWN, as they have excellent sounds for arrows, blades and spells. Their music leaves a bit to be desired.

Once you have your files on a publicly available IP, the help for playStream (especially the execLink example) is essentially all you need.

k0r0z1f
Kobold

Post by k0r0z1f »

is there a way, a function to check if a url is invalid
I need to know prior to execution playStream if the connection exists or not.

JoeDuncan
Giant

Post by JoeDuncan »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:03 pm
I have not tried it but it seems fairly easy. There are two critical things to know:

1) No sound is saved or transmitted in the campaign file(and likely never will be due to copyright concerns). If you want someone on a remote machine(typically when playing with people on the internet), then you must have the sound file on some type of hosting such as Dropbox(wiki has an example) that allows a public URL.
Technically not true anymore. Sound assets can be added to the campaign file and transmitted through the repository.

This has been supported by JUH (Joe's Ugly Hacks - see the User Creations -> Drop-in forum) since the first alpha.
"Joe's Ugly Hacks - Get 'em while their hot! Guaranteed ugliest hacks around or your money back!"

Return to “Macros”