More Notes fields

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Templar
Cave Troll

More Notes fields

Post by Templar »

Hi,
The players in my group want me to create more multiline "Notes" fields on their character sheets.
Possibly on different tabs.
Possibly multiple fields on the same tab.

The current notes field (available on the token) and accessible by the "getNotes()" works fine but with the info stored by the players they have to scroll through pages of stuff.
Currently they use separate txt or word files.
I know that, in theory, I can use token property fields but I assume there is a limit as to how much info cab be stored in them???
Also am not sure how to set the formatting for them (unless someone has created a very basic edit macro to put the correct formatting in).

Example Note fields are:
- My Contacts plus associated note on each
- Comms I have had with the GM
- My characters current story line (this can be pages long)
- My campaign notes (this can be pages long)
- Important Game rules related to my Character (cut and pasted from the rule book) (this can be pages long)

plus others.....

Any thoughts?
Templar

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: More Notes fields

Post by wolph42 »

Templar wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:30 am
but I assume there is a limit as to how much info cab be stored in them???
LOL I have a library token in my framework with over 10.000 entries including full descriptions. The amount of data you can store on a token is virtually limitless. So don't worry about that.

HOWEVER

when a token moves over the map ALL token data is send to the server and then to the other clients, in short: keep m light (which is why dev team is working on MT v2 in the background).

So what you can consider to do is create a lib:token for each character, put that on some hidden map and refer to that when storing notes and the like. Alternatively you can also use one lib:token and properties for the indiv. characters, matter of taste. Just don't store this info on character tokens.

There are 2 things you might want to have a look at
1. Aliasmask character lib tokens, no clue where they are @ him on discord and ask him where he put those
2. rods drop in notebook: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28461

other things you can consider is storing the lot in a macro or macros. You can use html formatting and/or the awesome <pre> tag way up so you don't have to use <br> on every line.

Code: Select all

this 
will 
be 
one
line

<pre>
this 
will 
be 
five
lines