Help creating a new window| Beginner

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

vini98
Kobold

Help creating a new window| Beginner

Post by vini98 »

Hello everyone, english is not my first language so please excuse any mistakes

I want to learn how to create custom windows to organize a system the way I like it. I'm still learning to program and edit macros, so I don't have the slightest idea how to create a new window like "chat" and "library".

As a beginner, I would like to start with a simple window containing the categories "Armor" and "Weapon". By clicking on "Weapon", I would like to open a pop-up window with the items "Knife", "Sword" and "Axe". And finally, when clicking on these items, I would like to open a window with editable information.

If you have any documents on the topic or any tips for a beginner like me, i would appreciate! If you think my request is too complicated for a beginner, i would like to know where to start. Thanks!!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Help creating a new window| Beginner

Post by wolph42 »

Hi Vini,

Welcome to the MT forum. Pls know that there is a discord server as well (see link in sig). To get started...see also the other link in my sig.
The things you describe are 'forms' so check out the tutorials (behind that link) concerning forms, they're well written and informative. The forms tutorial link can be found under 'scripting' but I'd strongly suggest that you work from top to bottom and deal with the other topics first (general advice and using MT)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Help creating a new window| Beginner

Post by Full Bleed »

vini98 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:14 am
I want to learn how to create custom windows to organize a system the way I like it. I'm still learning to program and edit macros, so I don't have the slightest idea how to create a new window like "chat" and "library".
I think forms are kind of difficult for a new macro writer.

I would use frames to open a new window: https://wiki.rptools.info/index.php/fra ... ll_option)
As a beginner, I would like to start with a simple window containing the categories "Armor" and "Weapon". By clicking on "Weapon", I would like to open a pop-up window with the items "Knife", "Sword" and "Axe". And finally, when clicking on these items, I would like to open a window with editable information.
And use macrolinks to make items clickable to open other frames: https://wiki.rptools.info/index.php/macroLink
If you have any documents on the topic or any tips for a beginner like me, i would appreciate! If you think my request is too complicated for a beginner, i would like to know where to start. Thanks!!
What you want to do is not really "beginner" level.

You should start by reading this: https://wiki.rptools.info/index.php/Int ... ro_Writing
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “Macros”