Macros for 5e

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

wyrmwood_lives
Cave Troll

Macros for 5e

Post by wyrmwood_lives »

I use this "framework" regularly with two groups, both 5e Adventures in Middle-earth, one with all AiME characters and the other with 5e characters Tolkien re-skinned. We've been playing 100% online for over a year, but are eager to get back to face-to-face. In F2F games, I use a projector and monitor for the players, and DM behind the "screen". I'm not really interested in supporting a public framework, but I thought I would share in case anyone wanted to grab this or that, or get ideas, etc.

https://github.com/Wyrmwood/dnd5e.mt

In a nutshell, it automates srd monster creation, but can be customized with a little json editing. A token, player or npc, generates a stat sheet*. From that sheet, you can target an opponent and attack with an Action. There's also automatic encounter start when enemies detect one another. It's far from expansive, but I run games with it a few times a month and we have a lot of fun.

Items I'm particularly proud of:
Automatic calculation of cover modifiers, using a modified Bresenham line drawing algorithm
Automatic handling of damage (type, resistance, et al)
Accurate calculations of what you can see, who's adjacent, etc (long discussion...)
Automatic encounter start
Advantage/Disadvantage based on Stealth/Perception
Everything driven from a 5e stats block with macro links
Stats block generation from plain text
Derived modifiers anywhere possible
Audio integration (ambient, music, effects)
traps! (just started, not complete!)

I do use an unorthodox method for multi-class characters, so that may be a bit confusing at first. (There's always only one class.) There's also some forcing of views and such for my setup that may not play well with others, but again, not really promoting a framework, so much as wanting to share ideas.

Like I said, it's certainly not for everyone, if anyone, but I'm sure you'll find something of interest if you like automation.

*I can't remember who I got this idea from, but you drop a token, give it an srd monster gm-name, mouse over it and voila
bandit.jpg
bandit.jpg (727.65 KiB) Viewed 2145 times

RedDog
Dragon

Re: Macros for 5e

Post by RedDog »

Nice looking sheet wyrmwood.

wyrmwood_lives
Cave Troll

Re: Macros for 5e

Post by wyrmwood_lives »

RedDog wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:37 pm
Nice looking sheet wyrmwood.
Thanks! I made this github repo private again, because I realized I have some sort-of-personal info on there (ip addresses). However, I would be happy to add anyone interested to the repo. I am still working through some issues with trap/lock/secret stuff, the big one being I need a bit more granularity for the secret, locked, trapped door. Trying to keep it as simple as it is now, but I do need to be able to handle the secret-ness of the door separate from the secret-ness of the trap. getToken (area) is not working as I would have expected, but it makes sense as token x,y is insufficient for anything larger than medium anyway.

Return to “Macros”