Manually breaking out of an endless loop.

Discuss macro implementations, ask for macro help (to share your creations, see User Creations, probably either Campaign Frameworks or Drop-in Resources).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Shadow Wizard
Giant

Manually breaking out of an endless loop.

Post by Shadow Wizard »

I think I may have figured out hot to so something, but am afraid I may make a mistake and get caught in and endless loop. How would I get out?

For example, lets say I would write this code:
while a==1 do(
a=1
)

how would I manually break out of it?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Manually breaking out of an endless loop.

Post by aliasmask »

Make sure you have a condition that will always break the loop. Otherwise, it will loop 10,000 times and then error out.

Shadow Wizard
Giant

Post by Shadow Wizard »

Oh, I will once the macro is finished. However if I accidently run a while loop, that is based on a variable that I accidently forget to change somewhere, or thought it would change but didn't I needed a way to stop it.
However if it will run 10,000 times and then error out, then I guess that will work. Its only for during the debugging stage, the equivalent of a ctrl-c
And about how long will it take to error out (I know, will vary depending on computer power) but are we talking almost instant, 5-10 min? I just don't want to be ending task on maptool just because I am not being patient.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Depends on what is being processed, ie how many lines. If it would normally take 15 ms to run, then that would be about 2 1/2 minutes.

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

Shadow Wizard wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:42 pm
Oh, I will once the macro is finished. However if I accidently run a while loop, that is based on a variable that I accidently forget to change somewhere, or thought it would change but didn't I needed a way to stop it.
However if it will run 10,000 times and then error out, then I guess that will work. Its only for during the debugging stage, the equivalent of a ctrl-c
And about how long will it take to error out (I know, will vary depending on computer power) but are we talking almost instant, 5-10 min? I just don't want to be ending task on maptool just because I am not being patient.
Almost any while loop I use includes this technique.

Code: Select all

[h: sLoop = 0]
[h, while(this!=that && sLoop<250),CODE:{
	 < normal code here>
	[h: sLoop = sLoop + 1]
}]

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You could get rid of sLoop and just use roll.count. That gives you the current iteration. I usually only reference roll.count at the top of the loop because there things that can affect it like other function calls. roll.count starts at 0.

Jmr3366
Cave Troll

Post by Jmr3366 »

aliasmask wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am
You could get rid of sLoop and just use roll.count. That gives you the current iteration. I usually only reference roll.count at the top of the loop because there things that can affect it like other function calls. roll.count starts at 0.
That's actually part of why I use that s(afety)Loop because I got burned by roll.count resets :p and wanting to use the variable throughout the While :p

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Jmr3366 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:20 pm
aliasmask wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am
That's actually part of why I use that s(afety)Loop because I got burned by roll.count resets :p and wanting to use the variable throughout the While :p
Yeah, that's a good precaution, but if you're only checking inside the condition, nothing is going to mess with that value. Typically when referencing roll.count, the first line in my loop is "[H: index = roll.count]" and I use index throughout the loop. Obviously with a while loop whatever you use has to be defined before the loop starts, but using roll.count directly is pretty safe in this instance.

Shadow Wizard
Giant

Post by Shadow Wizard »

I ended up accidently programming and endless loop at one point. Took less then 10 seconds to error out.

Return to “Macros”