[1.4.0.4] GM Notes visible to players and invisible to GM

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Irrlicht
Dragon

[1.4.0.4] GM Notes visible to players and invisible to GM

Post by Irrlicht »

For some reason, when players double-click on their tokens (or right-click -> Edit), they can sometimes (not always) see GM notes. At the same time, sometimes the GM can't see them.

I have no idea what may be even remotely related to this, couldn't notice any pattern or whatnot about the behavior.
"There are many ways my Son, to find where the souls of Demons remain...
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: [1.4.0.4] GM Notes visible to players and invisible to G

Post by JamzTheMan »

What are your server settings?
-Jamz

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

Port 51234

Checked options:
- Use UPnP
- Strict token ownership
- Players can reveal vision
- Use individual views
- Use individual FOW
- Restricted player impersonation

(Maybe the restricted player impersonation is what causes it?)
But it takes only one second of despair and of doubt until, at last, your Soul they will gain..."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

yea, what that last option does is actually give the players MORE access. as in, with it off the have zero rights to impersonate npc tokens, and with it on they have limited rights...

I really don't know 100% what it does, i never used it or found a reason to use it.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:yea, what that last option does is actually give the players MORE access. as in, with it off the have zero rights to impersonate npc tokens, and with it on they have limited rights...

I really don't know 100% what it does, i never used it or found a reason to use it.
Hmmm... I've *always" had that box check-marked. Pretty sure it's default.

Players still needs ownership to be able to impersonate. The description of the option seems misleading:
"Gives Players the Ability to Impersonate any character as if they had GM status."
Again... they can't impersonate something they haven't been given ownership of. I always thought that settings enforced the ownership requirement when coupled with Strict Token Ownership...

But I just checked starting a server with and without the option and, honestly, I can't see a difference (both with Strict Token Ownership On). Players can't impersonate tokens they don't own and they can never see GM notes, even on their own tokens (let alone NPC tokens). So not sure what's going on there... (I'm on 1.4.0.2 just in case it matters). Is seeing the GM notes repeatable in some way? Start a server, connected a second instance of MT to it and see if you can figure out how to do it.

Also, I'd put a password on your GM login to make sure some of the players aren't logging in as a GM.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Irrlicht
Dragon

Post by Irrlicht »

Both player and GM login have (different) passwords, but still...
(Also, in any case, the thing happened even in reverse, with GM *not* being able to see GM notes. I experienced that myself, logging as GM.)

Return to “Bug Reports”