Expose Only Currently Visable not working OSX [1.4.1.8]

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
kaylemspirit
Kobold

Expose Only Currently Visable not working OSX [1.4.1.8]

Post by kaylemspirit »

Hi there.

Just had a go at running 1.4.1.8 Dev version on my Mac running OSX version 10.13.3 as I was excited to try out the new Object Vision Blocking feature.

Having sucessfully set this up and got it working it's become apparent that the "Expose>Only Currently Visable" feature is not working as it should. I've gone back to Maptools 1.4.0.5 to make sure I'm not doing anything different and it's working fine there.

Thought Dev would like to know and look into if this is a bug.

Thanks K.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Expose Only Currently Visable not working OSX [1.4.1.8]

Post by Phergus »

Can you be a little more specific as to what you mean by "not working as it should"?

An example campaign or exported map is also handy.

kaylemspirit
Kobold

Post by kaylemspirit »

When I use the featue. Any areas of the map previously exposed that should now be hidden due to the line of sight or limitation of a tokens sight do not disappear on the player screen or on the GM screen. I'll try to provide a campaign file when I have time to set up the scenario again. As it wasn't doing what I needed, I revert back to the stable release and use of normal vision blocking rather that object vision blocking. Will be an amazing tool once I can get it working though. I love your products so much!!! :-)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Glad you are enjoying it!

Was all of your VBL created via an object?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

There were a few vision issue dorpond found in an earlier fork of mine that I have since fixed. Not sure if it is the same issue it not...

If you want to try my fork and test to see if your issue is resolved that may help narrow things down. You can also look over the change log...
-Jamz

kaylemspirit
Kobold

Post by kaylemspirit »

Hi Guys, sorry its taken a while to get back to you all again. JamzTheMan, I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean by trying other forks! :-/

I have however created a very simple map in a campaign - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BFeNg ... AggM9tZmIo
The PC token is in one room and I have drawn vision blocking lines around the room he is in and the room to the right of him. In previous versions when I move the elf to the room to the right and then use the command Right Click Token: "Expose>Only Currently Visible" (command+shift+o) original room would become blocked again by the vision blocking. This is useful for moving enemies in behind players in areas they have already exposed but can no longer actually see as they've moved away and their vision is blocked. However in 1.4.1.8 right clicking and selecting the command does not work, nor does the keyboard shortcut.

I hope that makes more sense now and allows you to look into this in more detail.

Many thanks,
K.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

3 things :)

1. To answer what a fork is, it's basically just a separate build of MapTool. It's "forked" off from a specific version so it is in a sense it's own 'version. http://maptool.nerps.net for more info

2. Thanks for the campaign, we'll take a look. I'm surprised a bug this big wasn't noticed before, it's usually a pretty common function used by people. Although I can only test on Windows/Linux until someone is kind enough to donate some mac hardware and send it to me :)

3. With that said, did you know, you really don't need to use this function in your scenario? What is "exposed" and left behind is what we refer to as Soft FoW. We only show the background and object layer in Soft FoW. So any tokens "moving" in that room that PC's no longer can see is not shown to the players. You can test this by starting 2 instances of MapTool and connecting them together as GM/PC.
-Jamz

kaylemspirit
Kobold

Post by kaylemspirit »

Hey Jamz

Thanks for the detailed response. Wow to answer 3, I really had no idea so I've been constantly hiding the view from my players, they will like the fact that we can leave explored areas visible now I'm sure.

Great stuff. I look forward now to playing with the possibilities the that object view blocking affords! ;-)

Cheers K.

Return to “Bug Reports”