[BUG 1.5.1] GM Notes and GM Name visible to Players.

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Full Bleed
Demigod

[BUG 1.5.1] GM Notes and GM Name visible to Players.

Post by Full Bleed »

BUG 1:

The GM Notes on player owned PC tokens are visible to players.

This issue is *not* in 1.4.0.5.

BUG 2:

The GM Name is visible on player owned tokens when you edit token. The GM Name field is populated.

This issue *is* in 1.4.0.5.

Working as intended (both versions): The GM Name can only be seen by the GM in the hover-on pop-up.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Re: [BUG 1.5.1] GM Notes and GM Name visible to Players.

Post by Phergus »

Bug 1 - Yeah. Not sure why this was changed. Pretty sure that a many years ago discussion ended with the decision to keep GM notes hidden from players and not just read-only. I've been depending on this feature for a long time. GM notes are for the GM. MapTool has no other built-in interface to store GM-only information that is tied to a token.

Bug 2 - I think this is more working as designed. As a player I normally put my character's full name in the GM name field and then the character's nickname or given name in the regular name field as that is what goes in chat. However I can see where a GM might want to use it for his own purposes as it is conveniently access just by hovering over the token.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:24 pm
Bug 2 - I think this is more working as designed. As a player I normally put my character's full name in the GM name field and then the character's nickname or given name in the regular name field as that is what goes in chat. However I can see where a GM might want to use it for his own purposes as it is conveniently access just by hovering over the token.
It doesn't make sense that it would be "as intended."

First, it has the name "GM" in the field. That alone says it for the GM and not the player. Call it "Secondary Name" or "Personal Name" or something else if it's going to visible to the player.

But, past that, even if it is intended (and I strongly advocate that it shouldn't be) when you put a name in the GM Name field *only* the GM can see it when you hover on token. Player's can't. That, to me, is working as intended. And if it's not, then that's a bug.

The more consistent behavior is to make things labeled "GM" be for the GM only.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

So the GM Name field has been like this all this time and only now you notice? :wink:

Doesn't really suggest that it should be changed but I agree that for consistency it probably should be.

https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/issues/461

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 am
So the GM Name field has been like this all this time and only now you notice? :wink:

Doesn't really suggest that it should be changed but I agree that for consistency it probably should be.
I just know that the issues exists in 1.4.0.5, too. I don't know how far back it exists. I only found the issue verifying the GM Notes bug another user found.

When I've used the GM Name field, which wasn't often, what it really means is that since *I've* only used it for temporary things (usually for just part of a session) I probably just "got away with it" since the players would only see it if they had gone in to edit their token at the right time. They would not have known I put anything in there to go looking and my players rarely need to manually edit a token as I have them access *everything* on their token via a character sheet. So since I could see my GM Name on hover and they couldn't... I've, likely, been lucky they didn't see something I thought was hidden from them (heck, it's plausible that even if they did see the names that they might not know exactly what it meant, didn't realize I didn't want them to see it, or that they benefited in some way that they chose not to disclose. ;))
Thanks. :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

All is good now. :) It's been fixed for the 1.5.3 build. 1.5.2 was already locked.

Return to “Bug Reports”