[BUG 1.5.2] Rescan in Resource Library won't update new SubFolders.

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Full Bleed
Demigod

[BUG 1.5.2] Rescan in Resource Library won't update new SubFolders.

Post by Full Bleed »

Bug: Lately I've had frequent occasion to add new subfolders to folders I already have in my Resource Library while I'm using MT. If I've been in the folder the Library will not update to show the new subfolders. "Rescanning" the library does not work. You have to reload MT or remove and add the resource again.

Reproduction:

1) Open a Folder in your Resource Library inside MT.
2) Outside MT, add a new subfolder to that folder.
3) Go back to MT and try to get to the new subfolder. You can't. Right-click on the folder and "Rescan". Nothing happens. The new subfolder will not show until you restart MT or remove/add resource.

NOTES:

a) If you haven't been in the folder in MT before you add the new subfolder, it *will* show when you do go into it. It only fails after you've been in it that session.
b) A new file placed in the folder will update (if you leave the folder and come back, but not with "Rescan.") The issue is only with new subfolders (and, consequently, the files you may have put in them.)

The way it should work: Either dynamically update by clicking in and out of the folder (like it does for new files) or "Rescan" should actually rescan the folder and find the new subfolder.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [BUG 1.5.2] Rescan in Resource Library won't update new SubFolders.

Post by aliasmask »

This has always worked like this. If you add a folder to a folder that you've already cached then the new folder doesn't show up.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 am
This has always worked like this. If you add a folder to a folder that you've already cached then the new folder doesn't show up.
Then what is "rescan" supposed to do?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Not sure the intended use, but I think it just rescans the current folder items. Not the folders within the folders, I guess.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Yeah. I think rescan just does the current folder. Not even sure when that got added. Never use it.

Ah. Jamz added it to his Nerps fork and then ended up in the main build. From the code it was put in so that images from PDFs or Hero Lab files can be picked up. The rescan is only at the folder level.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:30 am
Yeah. I think rescan just does the current folder. Not even sure when that got added. Never use it.

Ah. Jamz added it to his Nerps fork and then ended up in the main build. From the code it was put in so that images from PDFs or Hero Lab files can be picked up. The rescan is only at the folder level.
But, the point is, it doesn't "rescan" the current folder.

If I have the folder open, put a new file in via Windows Explorer, then hit "Rescan" nothing happens. The only way the new file can be seen is to leave the folder and come back.

And when I do that, MT refreshes the files in the folder and finds new files (yay), but won't look for subfolders (boo.) And "Rescan" does neither (?).

So, if it's going to be fixed to actually rescan the current folder, why not have it scan for new subfolders too?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:04 am
If I have the folder open, put a new file in via Windows Explorer, then hit "Rescan" nothing happens. The only way the new file can be seen is to leave the folder and come back.
In your first post you said:
Full Bleed wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:23 pm
b) New file placed in the folder do update. The issue is only with new subfolders (and, consequently, the files you may have put in them.)
But, yes, if someone is going to fix one aspect they should fix both.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:37 am
In your first post you said:
Updated for clarity:
b) A new file placed in the folder will update (if you leave the folder and come back, but not with "Rescan.") The issue is only with new subfolders (and, consequently, the files you may have put in them.)
I was really just poorly acknowledging that you could get the folder to update for a new file add (but not with subfolders.) I didn't want to be told the file update "workaround" as a partial solution to my problem since getting new files to show in the folder wasn't my primary issue.
But, yes, if someone is going to fix one aspect they should fix both.
Heck, I'll take subfolders being updated either how new files are updated now (leave folder and come back) or with "Rescan"... anything to avoid restarting MT or re-adding the resource library. I was thinking that "Rescan" was built specifically for such a thing though.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

It probably should do that but was put in specifically to support the Herolab and PDF functionality.

With luck someone can extend it to do that. It is annoying when you add a folder but it doesn't show up. Part of why I normally just use a normal File Explorer.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:02 pm
With luck someone can extend it to do that. It is annoying when you add a folder but it doesn't show up. Part of why I normally just use a normal File Explorer.
I should probably get used to doing that more... MT is good about helping organize/limit the sprawling number of folders and assets I have for gaming to the essentials... but it's limited compared to a "real" file explorer.
Last edited by Full Bleed on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Return to “Bug Reports”