FOG: NullPointerException

Confirmed bugs should get a single post here. Check the READ ME FIRST sticky thread for the format.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice, MapTool BugReport Manager

Forum rules
Posts that do not conform to the READ ME FIRST sticky thread are subject to deletion.
Purzelkater
Cave Troll

FOG: NullPointerException

Post by Purzelkater »

MapTool 1.5.7, Windows 10

I have tried to add FOW to my map using <Ctrl> + <Shift> + left mouse button (I wanted to set a FOW area). After releasing the mouse button I got following message:

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.rptools.maptool.model.Zone.hideArea(Zone.java:885)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.drawing.RectangleExposeTool.completeDrawable(RectangleExposeTool.java:94)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.drawing.RectangleTool.mousePressed(RectangleTool.java:110)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(AWTEventMulticaster.java:288)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6586)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3342)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6354)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2261)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4966)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2319)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4798)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4914)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4540)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4484)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2305)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2772)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:772)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$600(EventQueue.java:97)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:97)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:745)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:743)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:742)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:43)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
I seems like it's not possible to add FOW to a map anymore with the FOG drawing tools. I get this error every time I try to use <Shift> key to add FOW.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: FOG: NullPointerException

Post by Full Bleed »

Purzelkater wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:55 am
MapTool 1.5.7, Windows 10

I have tried to add FOW to my map using <Ctrl> + <Shift> + left mouse button (I wanted to set a FOW area). After releasing the mouse button I got following message:

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.rptools.maptool.model.Zone.hideArea(Zone.java:885)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.drawing.RectangleExposeTool.completeDrawable(RectangleExposeTool.java:94)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.drawing.RectangleTool.mousePressed(RectangleTool.java:110)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(AWTEventMulticaster.java:288)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6586)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3342)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6354)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2261)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4966)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2319)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4914)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4540)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4484)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2305)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2772)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:772)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$600(EventQueue.java:97)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:97)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:745)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:743)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:742)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:43)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
I seems like it's not possible to add FOW to a map anymore with the FOG drawing tools. I get this error every time I try to use <Shift> key to add FOW.
I tested this on grasslands (with 1.5.7 and Win10) and I can't reproduce the issue.

Has anything else changed in your system since upgrading to 1.5.7?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Purzelkater
Cave Troll

Post by Purzelkater »

This is a little bit odd. I have all restarted and tried to use FOW on a new map and it works. Then I have loaded my campaign and now it works there too.
But what I remember: If I activated FOW on a map, the whole map hat FOW and you have to cut out the visible areas. When I had the error, I have activated FOW and the whole map had no FOW so I tried to add FOW areas.

I had nothing changed (Yes, I know that's what customers always say :D ), made a fresh MapTool 1.5.7 installation (no upgrade) and opened my campaign saved with 1.5.6.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Purzelkater wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:15 am
This is a little bit odd. I have all restarted and tried to use FOW on a new map and it works. Then I have loaded my campaign and now it works there too.
I don't know this for a fact, but I think that sometimes Java just doesn't load correctly producing these one-time, intermittent errors. It's always best to try to reproduce on a reload.

Also, *never* overwrite your campaign file after an error has been thrown! Rename the campaign to something else if you want to try to preserve any progress since the last load.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:56 am
Also, *never* overwrite your campaign file after an error has been thrown! Rename the campaign to something else if you want to try to preserve any progress since the last load.
And to add to that good advice, if you have an existing campaign and move to a new version of MapTool, save the campaign file with a new name and keep the previously saved version just in case.

I typically end my campaign file names with the MT version number, e.g. adventure10-part1-156.cmpgn

Return to “Bug Reports”