Configuring Port Forwarding with UPnP under Windows XP

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

WhisperedThunder wrote:It's a modem that control my phone line and tv though, so I worry about changing it from Comcast's standard.
Well then you have a problem and Comcast is certainly at the bottom of the list when it comes to customer service.
WhisperedThunder wrote:I'm not very familiar with all these things, but from what I understand the modem denying things to the router sounds like one of the few things that would stop Hamachi from working.
I suspect that is true.

tolt2k
Cave Troll

Post by tolt2k »

I do tech support and when people tell me that there internet provider is Comcast my heart fills with dread.
I'm glad Hamachi saved the day for ya.

that1whitekid
Kobold

Still Problems

Post by that1whitekid »

ok i have everything set up as you showed in the first post, with the Internet Gateway and all that, but it still says wen i go to map tool that i was unable to connect to the internet. I have no idea wast is rong, my internet connection is fine and i am hooked up to my router, but the thing just wont work

i double checked everything, and i have everything done, even the stuff Portforward made me do, opening up my router and doing the "start" to "finish" thing.

is there anything left to do?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well first off you don't need to forward ports if you are using UPnP or use UPnP if you already have the ports forwarded. As a matter of fact if you already have the port forwarded, then UPnP is going to fail anyway.

As a general rule when you want help with a networking problem it is a good idea if you provide information about your setup.

What OS?

What firewall software?

What kind of LAN connection?

What kind of broadband connection?

What router?

What version of MapTool ("the latest" isn't a correct response)?

that1whitekid
Kobold

Post by that1whitekid »

To answer your questions in order:

Microsoft XP

Windows Firewall

Hamachi

All I know to say is hi-speed internet

Linksys WRT54G

1.2.b32

so i shouldnt even have to forward my ports?
I like my textures :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Hamachi isn't a LAN connection per se, it is a VPN - Virtual Private Network. To everyone on the VPN, it would appear that you were all on a LAN (Local Area Network).

Your LAN connection would most likely be Ethernet or Wireless given your router.

But back to Hamachi. You don't use Hamachi unless everyone else in the group is going to be using Hamachi. You also wouldn't use Port Forwarding if you were using Hamachi.

The next thing to determine is are you trying to connect to a server or trying to run one yourself?

Connect to a Server: No port forwarding, no UPnP, and no Hamachi is needed (unless specifically told by the GM).

Run a Server: You need just one of two things. Manually configure your port forwarding OR use UPnP. Your WRT54G supports UPnP but you might have to enable it. Note that 1.2.b32 doesn't have the built-in UPnP support that is in the later versions of MapTool. You can still use the UPnP methods described at the beginning of the thread.

On the Firewall side of things... At some point you must have told the Windows firewall that it was okay for Java (and thus MapTool) to access the internet. Check your Firewall settings to make sure of this.

EpochGames
Kobold

not working here, help please

Post by EpochGames »

Win XP Pro
Win FW and Norton both disabled
Port Forwarded in my Linksys WRT54G
Have no problems with other forms of p2p
Qwest DSL--no MSN, so no blocked ports
v. 1.2.b32

But, I cannot get the test to pass.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Just so you know, you only need the Test Connection to work if you are trying to host a server.

What kind of DSL modem?

Is your Linksys reporting its external IP address as a proper routable IP address or something in one of the private IP address spaces?

Can you connect as a MapTool client to someone else's server?

EpochGames
Kobold

Post by EpochGames »

It;s the standard ActionTec 701, or most recent incarnation of the same.

Have it wired to the router and the router to PCs via Ethernet.

I can connect to games hosted by others, but I'm trying to host one and Hamachi isn't really something this group is looking for.

Linksys is reporting public IP properly.

At this point, it's looking like my option is to have someone else host and I can just log on as DM.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

And you're sure that NAT is turned off on the Actiontec modem?

EpochGames
Kobold

Post by EpochGames »

Yup. Like I said. Have no problem with p2p except maptools...weird.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You said that you can connect to other servers. Have you tried to have people connect to you (either direct or via RPTools)? Does your server name show up on the RPTools tab if you start it?

Can you test within your internal LAN? Run a server on one PC and then attempt to connect from another PC.

Have you tried 1.3.b31? The underlying networking library was updated recently. Don't expect it will matter but couldn't hurt to check.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

If you have any torrent software or other P2P software on your computer, turn it off before starting a server.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: nothing

Post by Full Bleed »

Lihualee wrote:I'm going to bump the tread up.
You "bumped" 3 stickies.

What we have here is a passive WOW aftermarket sales spammer (that is they don't push their website directly, but put it in their profile and then post nonsensical stuff around the site to get some visibility.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Good catch, FB. I've deleted all of this person's posts but I do not have the authority to ban them or delete their account.

Return to “How To”