Networking FAQ for MapTool

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Do you think it's a good idea for MapTool to identify the available interfaces and make the list available for the user to choose from, with MapTool defaulting to the one that it thinks is most appropriate?

If so, it could eliminate those with "00-00-00-00-00-00" as their MAC address, although PPP or PPTP could conceivably use that MAC address (since they are not broadcast protocols).

Thanks for your help! I have all of the updates applied. I will work on the flowchart Sunday night after my game -- or on Monday -- and post a revised document asap.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:Do you think it's a good idea for MapTool to identify the available interfaces and make the list available for the user to choose from, with MapTool defaulting to the one that it thinks is most appropriate?
Definitely think something has to change there. MapTool isn't reporting any kind of error in these situations and the user probably won't realize what has happened.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Bump. Just because this FAQ is important.

wolf1040
Kobold

Port forwarding de-coded

Post by wolf1040 »

Thanks for the pdf explaining how to port forward for Maptool. I'm supposed to DM tomorrow night and my players could not connect to my server.

Now they can

Thanks again.

Wolf

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, thanks Phergus. And thanks wolf1040 ... it's nice to know that the work is appreciated. :)

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Good job with this!

As the following issue got at least 2 of us, you may want to explicitly mention it in the faq:

The Cisco VPN client needs to be disabled for the duration of a MapTool server host session.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

*Bump*

I've updated the FAQ and version 1.3 is now available. I've updated the first post in this thread with a summary of the changes as well, but editing the first post didn't cause this thread to be bumped.

I would like to add a section on Hamachi and then maybe we can cull a few of the Sticky threads in this forum? (Moderators: hint, hint)

If the FAQ needs something else added before the Stickies can be trimmed, let me know and I'll get it done asap.

gwiz
Kobold

Re: Networking FAQ for MapTool

Post by gwiz »

I can host my own server and when i test connection it says i connected succesfully. But when i try to connect to someone elses. server i get this message;

IO Error: java.net.ConnectionException: Connection time out: Connect

What does it mean?

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

gwiz wrote:I can host my own server and when i test connection it says i connected succesfully. But when i try to connect to someone elses. server i get this message;

IO Error: java.net.ConnectionException: Connection time out: Connect

What does it mean?
Please post this question as a new topic but quick answer is are you both on the same version of MapTool. Please respond via a New topic and Take a closer look a this FAQ.
--
Big Mac

Nictusempra
Kobold

Post by Nictusempra »

These PDF links appear to no longer work.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Nictusempra wrote:These PDF links appear to no longer work.
The gallery where they are stored is broken. :(

I've put the most recent one on my MapTool web site. In the future I will try to keep both locations current.

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Hey something that came up during my setup on Friday. When trying to setup portforwarding on my GM's linksys WRT54G router I had a wicked performance problem and could not get it to setup. While working on it over the next 1.5 hours I stumble across something and hmmmm. I switched browsers and it all worked fine.

When using Google chrome and working with the Linksys router application it was slow and would error out on any attempt to save the setting changes. Work fine with IE and I will assume Firefox because I use it for my home linksys routers. I have 2 plus a WAP.
--
Big Mac

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Huh. That's weird. I wonder what is so unusual about the Linksys config pages. Chrome works dandy with my Belkin router.

pratikah
Kobold

Post by pratikah »

boy it sure is infuriating not being able to log in to remote servers or have anyone log into mine... has anyone found a reason for this yet?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You can't just log in to remote servers. The majority of them are using passwords. If you can browse the internet then you can connect to the remote servers for which you have access.

Return to “How To”