Die Roller

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
stupidmop
Kobold

Die Roller

Post by stupidmop »

Hey All,

I just updated to the most recent version of maptool (b49). Whenever my players roll a die, we all see the result, but we cannot see the die rolls themselves. So, if one rolled 2d6, and two threes were rolled, all I would see is a 6. How can I change it so I can see what was actually rolled?

Thank you!

wrathchild
Dragon

Re: Die Roller

Post by wrathchild »

AFAIK, and can glean looking at the dokumentation wiki (http://lmwcs.com/maptool/index.php?titl ... Roll:types), to see individual die rolls, you have to roll individual dice.

Eg. if I want to see a 3d6 roll, I would roll [1d6+1d6+1d6]. This might seem cumbersome, but set up in a macro, it is a one time input that will save typing iin the long run for any roll.

This will still only show the result, until you hover over it with the mouse. Then the component parts will be shown.
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Actually, this was changed without Trevors knowledge. You have to use [e: 1d6+1d6] to get it to show:

« 1d6+1d6 = 4 + 5 = 9 » <-- Expanded format

Which is of course a pain in the arse to type in when you're typing in your attacks and damage rolls on the fly. If you want [2d6] to default to the expanded format as it originally was intended, let Trevor know.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, I can see that in cases where the individual die results are needed, it is a pain. :(

However, in cases where individual results are going to be used in a macro, it's likely there will be a loop around it as well, in which case it's not so bad (since the loop code will roll individual dice and keep track of them).

My bet is that the parser doesn't have flexibility in this regard, though. Hence some things get put off until the inevitable move to Javascript. :(

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Aria wrote:If you want [2d6] to default to the expanded format as it originally was intended, let Trevor know.
Expanded/tooltip has nothing to do with the poster's request.
[e:2d6] and [2d6] both are useless for them, and both still only show the total, not the dice.
Expanded or not, they need [1d6+1d6] notation.
Please keep your crusades out of irrelevant threads.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Palmer - that's not what the OP stated and you need to keep your animosity towards Aria out of it.

The expanded roll is supposed to do what Aria stated but somebody screwed it up and it slipped past Trevor. Trevor has already acknowledge this and hopefully the functionality will be restored in the next build.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Expanded roll never showed separate die results when using [2d6] in the first place.
As I said, [e:2d6] = « 2d6 = 6 » - this still only show the total, not the individual dice.

The OP wanted to see the individual dice, and the answer to that is [1d6+1d6] = « 1d6+1d6 = 3 + 3 = 6 ». The expanded/contracted view is a preference, but immaterial to the issue at hand.

Return to “How To”