Die rolling problem

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
Dratheus
Kobold

Die rolling problem

Post by Dratheus »

I use the savage worlds system a lot and skill resolution for PCs would go like this:

Skill Die + d6e keep best result.
How would I do this in maptool?

In this example the skill die is a d8.
I've tried many combinations using the 'e' and 'k' commands w/ no luck. I've also tried stuff like "1d6e or 1d8" and can't tell if that's actually working or not.

Rumble
Deity

Re: Die rolling problem

Post by Rumble »

Savage Worlds Wild Dice are actually pretty tricky. One way to do it, assuming you always want the best result, is this:

Code: Select all

[h:skillDie=eval(1d8+"e")]
[h:wildDie=1d6e]
[Roll = max(skillDie, wildDie)]
For actual use, you can replace the "1d8" with, say, the property "Agility" or the skill "Fighting," e.g.

[skillDie=eval(Fighting+"e")]
If you take out the "h:" in the first example, you can see what those statements are evaluating to, to make sure it's working properly.

DrVesuvius
Giant

Post by DrVesuvius »

I'm not sure why you'd ever want to not take the best roll on a standard task resolution.

Here's the guts of my skill check macro. I've excluded the first bit which basically gives the user a pick list of the skills they possess. The next bit displays the skill name and level, and the unskilled penalty if appropriate. The last bit actually rolls each die displaying the raw result, then picks the best one and applies the unskilled modifier (which may be 0 or -2) and any modifiers for wounds or fatigue. It also checks for a Fumble or a roll of 1 on the skill dice (which is significant for some skills)

Testing 
[R: SkillName= IF(WhichSkill == 0, "Unskilled", indexKeyStrProp(Skills,WhichSkill-1))]
[R: SkillLevel=IF(WhichSkill == 0, "1d4e", indexValueStrProp(Skills,WhichSkill-1))]
[H: Unskilled = IF(WhichSKill == 0, -2, 0)]
[R: IF(Unskilled == 0, "","-2")]

Rolls:
[R: S=eval(SkillLevel)], 
[R: W=eval(WildDie)]
Total= [R: max(S,W)-(Wounds + Fatigue)+Unskilled]
[R: if(S==1,if(W == 1, "FUMBLE!!!","..and rolled 1 on Skill Die."),"")]
Gives a result like:
Testing Shooting 1d6e
Rolls 1,8 Total = 8 and rolled 1 on Skill Die
I deliberately displayed both die rolls so you can easily see where the successful roll came from, cos sometimes it's fun to see that the 23 you just rolled came from the d6 wild die instead of the d10 skill.

I've got a newer version of this that can handle a zero value of the WildDie property, so the same macro works for both Wildcards and Extras, but I don't have it to hand.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

DrVesuvius wrote:I'm not sure why you'd ever want to not take the best roll on a standard task resolution.

There is no reason in standard tasks. The only reason I can think you'd even want to pick and choose is if you're doing multiple actions in combat, and you want to allocate the big success to a particular target. Otherwise, no reason unless you're hoping to fail.

I was just covering all the bases.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I don't have the rules with me but don't you get one wild die per action? I think the only time you roll multiples with only one wild die is when the action itself has multiple die (such as autofire). Once again, I don't have the rules with me but that's what I remember.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

RPTroll wrote:I don't have the rules with me but don't you get one wild die per action? I think the only time you roll multiples with only one wild die is when the action itself has multiple die (such as autofire). Once again, I don't have the rules with me but that's what I remember.
That's what I meant - you roll multiple skill dice (say, Shooting), and one wild die. But you can replace any of the Skill Dice with the Wild Die, as I understand it. So I can envision a situation where you get successes on all your rolls, and a BIG success on your Wild Die. You might want to say "I replace the attack on Big Boss Badman with my Wild Die" as opposed to the attack that hit an extra. That's all. In any single "1 Skill Die + 1 Wild Die" roll, you'll always want the highest value.

It's a pretty narrow subset of possible situations: you have to have made multiple attacks, against different targets, and get results that leave you deciding who gets to suffer the biggest hit.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Right, but I think you get one wild die per attack (i.e. action) so you get one wild die per attack in the multi-action case. So in that case you get one wild die linked to each roll. Autofire is the odd man out where you would need to specify which hit what. Unless you're talking about auto fire in which case never mind. :-)
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

RPTroll wrote:Right, but I think you get one wild die per attack (i.e. action) so you get one wild die per attack in the multi-action case. So in that case you get one wild die linked to each roll. Autofire is the odd man out where you would need to specify which hit what. Unless you're talking about auto fire in which case never mind. :-)
In general, yeah. Where it comes into play is with any weapon with an RoF higher than 1; anyone using the Frenzy edge - basically any situation where one action allows multiple dice to be rolled.

As I said, there aren't many.

Dratheus
Kobold

Post by Dratheus »

Tyvm DrVesuvius & Rumble for the code. Making simple scripts and macros is a hobby of mine that has fallen to the wayside for awhile due to recent events, but hopefully I'll get some time to review the macro tutorials and contribute some works of my own in the future.

Thanks again!

Dratheus
Kobold

Post by Dratheus »

Ok, I read through the macro tutorial on the documentation forum. Fairly easy stuff for the most part. I don't understand what the h: and r: in your guys' posts are though. Can you explain that to me please? The only thing I could guess was h: means hide. Kinda like how [] shows the math and {} just shows the result, and r: means reveal.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Dratheus wrote:Ok, I read through the macro tutorial on the documentation forum. Fairly easy stuff for the most part. I don't understand what the h: and r: in your guys' posts are though. Can you explain that to me please? The only thing I could guess was h: means hide. Kinda like how [] shows the math and {} just shows the result, but I can't guess at r:
Have a look at
http://lmwcs.com/maptool/index.php?titl ... Roll:types

Dratheus
Kobold

Post by Dratheus »

thanky, that answers it! ^_^

Return to “How To”