Resizing Maps for MapTool

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

OK, I went ahead and dropped that feature in. If you hit the 1:1 action it'll toggle between 1:1 and the previous zoom (unless you manually change the zoom, which resets it).

I don't think it's possible setting up two keystrokes for the same action (at least not in the intuitive sense). What do you all think about just moving the 1:1 action from + to HOME ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:OK, I went ahead and dropped that feature in.
This will be in 1.3b5
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Matrissa the Enchantress
Giant

Post by Matrissa the Enchantress »

trevor wrote:OK, I went ahead and dropped that feature in. If you hit the 1:1 action it'll toggle between 1:1 and the previous zoom (unless you manually change the zoom, which resets it).

I don't think it's possible setting up two keystrokes for the same action (at least not in the intuitive sense). What do you all think about just moving the 1:1 action from + to HOME ?
I don't see what the problem is with using the + key... even if you are using a lap top without a number pad (as I do) you can still use + by holding SHIFT and pressing = (at least on a standard US English keyboard... perhaps the + symbol isn't always present on other keyboards?)

So, I rather like that it's a + symbol because the -, = and + are all in the same place as the - is just to the left of the =/+ button.

Some keyboards don't really have a "home" button. Or rather, they have a key that will do what "home" does but it requires that the user hold down the "Fn" key or the button does something else. I've run into these once in a while and it's very annoying when you're working in program like Word where you want to be able to quickly move the cursor to the start of a line.

~Matrissa~
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

RPMiller wrote:
trevor wrote:
Azhrei wrote:Actually, it might be nice if hitting "+" a second time put you back to the zoom level you were at previously! That should be easy to do and easy to use! ;)
Hmmm, interesting idea. I'll put in a tracker for it
Of course for those of us without a number pad (laptop) it isn't so convenient. ;)

It might be worthwhile, to not exclude us laptop users on the shortcut keys. I am a huge fan of shortcut keys so the more the merrier!
The + key on the main keyboard does the same operation as the + key on the keypad.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Phergus wrote:The + key on the main keyboard does the same operation as the + key on the keypad.
Ah! If that is the case then there are no worries. The reason I brought it up is that the '+' on a 101 keyboard has a different key value then the '+/=' key, last time I checked anyway, but if it is mapped to the character rather then the key then I'm cool and have no worries. Keep it on the '+' so people don't have to change their work flow.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

On the number key row the =/- zoom in/out respectively and the + (shift-equals) does 1:1. When using a laptop they can be pretty handy if you don't have mouse attached.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Thanks. I had discovered the -/=, but hadn't tried the shift-equals. That is good to know.

WhisperedThunder
Kobold

Going a little nuts

Post by WhisperedThunder »

I'm working on my first map and I'm having weird sizing issues. Photoshop CS3 tells me that the space between my gridlines is 17 pixels, but when I put the image in MapTool that doesn't work right. It seems like it's somewhere in between 17 and 18. I've never used the grid lines in PS before so maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong. Could someone take a look at this draft and let me know if you have a guess as to what's wrong?

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/wh ... t.jpg.html

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Well I don't use Photoshop but from looking at the map in MT and Gimp it doesn't look like anything is on a 17 pixel grid to me. Like you say it appears to be some fractional value off of 17.

When you started the image did you specify it in pixels or in inches? I would recommend telling Photoshop you want a specific size in pixels (2k x 2k or whatever) and then setting the grid size to a desired value in pixels. I would go with something higher than 17 but given the large area that map covers maybe 20 wouldn't be bad.

Don't do anything at all with DPI. Accept the default.

At this point, assuming you don't want to redraw the map, I would do this.

Take a known distance on the map like across say the entire building. Maybe that is 100' (talking game scale here). Measure it in pixels as best you can and call this X. If you want the map to be 20 pixels = 5' in MT multiple 100' * 20 px/5' and divide by the X you got. This will give you the scale to apply to the existing image to get it close enough to 20px/grid in MapTool.

So if you measure that 100' building and come up with 350 pixels you'll get (100 * 20/5)/350 -> (400/350) -> 1.1429 or 114.29%. So you scale the image in PS to 114.29% (assuming it lets you get that specific). If it does not, then take that number (1.1429) and multiple it by the existing pixel dimensions, say 2000, and just put in the exact new size of 2286 x 2286. This latter method is the more accurate especially if you keep all the decimal places through the calculation.

MacPharlan
Giant

Post by MacPharlan »

So is this still needed in the current version of MT? Or is it a built in feature?

Return to “How To”