Documentation links are broken - where do I find new ones?

Articles on how to do things in MapTool (answers only here -- questions should stay in the main MT forum)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Forum rules
Please discuss all HOWTO topics in the main forum. They will be moved here by a moderator when appropriate.
Rechan
Cave Troll

Documentation links are broken - where do I find new ones?

Post by Rechan »

So, in the "Resize maps" thread that's LOCKED, the OP directs to this spot: http://rptools.net/doku.php?id=maptooldoc_1_1:maps

He mentions docs.

But I can't find docs. The tutorials are vids, not docs.

I feel stupid asking. But where do I find the info pertinent to this?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: I feel dumb - I can't find the docs

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks for asking. You've prompted me to create an answer for that question. :) So I've left your post in the HOWTO area and changed the title to reflect the Q&A.

And yes, I locked the HOWTO threads so that they wouldn't be filled with questions answered somewhere else in the thread and the person asking just didn't read through it. I'm guilty of that some times on other forums (!) so I wanted to try to curb the tendency for the threads to "drift". I'll leave this thread unlocked for a little while to see if others have helpful suggestions, then I'll lock this one, too.

On to your question. The main web site has migrated to a completely new server and new software package. Unfortunately, many of the docs were lost in the transition. :( The one you linked to is an example.

Fortunately, you can find them in Google's cache. Go to Google.com and in the search field type in cache: followed immediately by the URL you're looking for -- do not put a space between cache: and the URL or it won't work.

If I do that for the link above, I get this page: http://74.125.113.132/search?hl=en&q=ca ... tnG=Search which is the Google cache version.

We really need a volunteer to step up and copy some of this information into our new wiki/doc system. Easier said than done, though... :(

Rechan
Cave Troll

Re: Documentation links are broken - where do I find new ones?

Post by Rechan »

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the grid to line up just right with the map, despite frustrating fiddling. Dang you, (maker of the map)!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, that's a pain. Somewhere in one of the threads here (!) somebody pointed out that you can get the grid "close", then resize the map! If you put the map image on the background layer (instead of using the image to create the map itself), then you can resize the map so that it fits the grid! Much easier!

Just be sure to hold down the Shift key while resizing so that the aspect ratio doesn't change.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:Just be sure to hold down the Shift key while resizing so that the aspect ratio doesn't change.
Actually chances are you'll end up needing to change the aspect ratio especially if the image was scanned from a printed image. Even when they are produced electronically some weenie art director is always tweaking the size of the images just that little bit and what was a square grid is now .987 x .932.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Phergus wrote:
Azhrei wrote:Just be sure to hold down the Shift key while resizing so that the aspect ratio doesn't change.
Actually chances are you'll end up needing to change the aspect ratio especially if the image was scanned from a printed image. Even when they are produced electronically some weenie art director is always tweaking the size of the images just that little bit and what was a square grid is now .987 x .932.
Very true. I have a pre-gridded map from somewhere.
The squares are 52x53...

...hey, that could make for a feature request...

Return to “How To”