[1.3.56] Fill squares hexes drawing tool

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

plothos
Great Wyrm

[1.3.56] Fill squares hexes drawing tool

Post by plothos »

Just occurred to me as I was laboring with a map that my life would be much simplified if I didn't have to fill in with the square or line tools, but could just click a square and have it fill with a texture. If I could hold down the mouse button and drag to have it fill any squares I mouse over, that would be friggin fantastic.

Man, would I love this feature.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

heyes
Giant

Re: [1.3.56] Fill squares hexes drawing tool

Post by heyes »

This should be called something like:

Fill Grid Square/Hex

and I TOTALLY second this!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Agreed. its a good idea.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

plothos wrote:Just occurred to me as I was laboring with a map that my life would be much simplified if I didn't have to fill in with the square or line tools, but could just click a square and have it fill with a texture. If I could hold down the mouse button and drag to have it fill any squares I mouse over, that would be friggin fantastic.

Unless I am misunderstanding, you can do this: Control+Mouse snaps the square tool to the grid and I just drag it out to the size that I want, and when I release the mouse button, all the squares are filled in.

Not sure how that would work with a hex map, though.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

syntruth wrote:
plothos wrote:Just occurred to me as I was laboring with a map that my life would be much simplified if I didn't have to fill in with the square or line tools, but could just click a square and have it fill with a texture. If I could hold down the mouse button and drag to have it fill any squares I mouse over, that would be friggin fantastic.

Unless I am misunderstanding, you can do this: Control+Mouse snaps the square tool to the grid and I just drag it out to the size that I want, and when I release the mouse button, all the squares are filled in.

Not sure how that would work with a hex map, though.
Technically, yes, you can. But it would be much easier to just click inside the grid to fill it. Also, if you wanted to 'paint' an irregular shape you might be at it for a while using the name to grid method. Seems like this came up on terrain movement penalties where you needed to 'paint terrain on the map and you wanted it to fill an entire square.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

While the Ctrl works for snap to grid, it's not exactly the same thing as a click-to-PaintFill one grid cell. I can certainly see use for such a feature, though. And I wouldn't think it would be hard to implement either.

Would be cool if the Undo support could create a "group" that was one mousedown action but each individual cell painted were put into the Undo list separately under that group. Then one keystroke (such as Meta-Z) would undo the whole group, but a different key (Meta-Shift-Z?) would undo individual elements within the group. I can see someone moving quickly with the mouse down to paint a large area and when they tag a cell they didn't mean to, they surely don't want to undo the entire mousedown operation! At the same time, if you did want to undo the entire thing, using Meta-Z until every individual cell was back to its original state would also be a bummer, hence the two-tier approach.

Oh well. We'll see what gets into 1.4... ;)

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Yeah, it was in fact while trying to make do with the snap-to-grid fill tools that I realized how nice this would be. What I wanted to do was quickly put together a cave complex, meaning lots of winding tunnels and such. I figured I'd block it in and the go back and make the edges less regular and more natural. But blocking it in took forever with the current tools. Major pain. Would be four or five times faster with the tool I have in my head.
Drop-In Utilities:
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

heyes
Giant

Post by heyes »

plothos wrote:Yeah, it was in fact while trying to make do with the snap-to-grid fill tools that I realized how nice this would be. What I wanted to do was quickly put together a cave complex, meaning lots of winding tunnels and such. I figured I'd block it in and the go back and make the edges less regular and more natural. But blocking it in took forever with the current tools. Major pain. Would be four or five times faster with the tool I have in my head.
And for those of us that make overworld type maps, it would be very useful to be able to make maps after this fashion as well.
Last edited by heyes on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

syntruth
Giant

Post by syntruth »

Ahh, I gotcha. I was misunderstanding. ^.^

From how I understand the above, yeah, I'd like that as well.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

plothos wrote:What I wanted to do was quickly put together a cave complex, meaning lots of winding tunnels and such. I figured I'd block it in and the go back and make the edges less regular and more natural.
I had to do a small chunk of the elemental plane of fire for my Sunday group. I used a general "fire" texture as the background when I created the map in the first place. Now I just had to lay down walls -- the floor always looked like fire and I didn't have to do any painting to put it there. And because it wasn't a drawn texture I didn't have to worry about accidentally erasing it at some point...

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Yeah, you either make the floor or the wall texture your background then block in the other stuff. Either way, it's nice to block it in then rough it up later.
Drop-In Utilities:

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

I must admit that is how I'm doing it when I make the maps in Dunjinni too. I use a 5-foot square brush with snap to center of grids setting, fill in the walls with the dominant texture. Then I go back with the "Walls are this thick something" sized brush with snap to vertexes and draw the actual spaces. Or with my cave, I do them freehand.

I sometimes wish I could just import the DJI file, even if it didn't arrive with the textures (and I had the ability to set them to textures in MapTool), that would be cool.

IMarv

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Perhaps sometime late in 1.4 or early in 2.0 you might see the option of importing alternate graphics file formats.

There are a lot of issues involved, with the file format being the simplest of them. ;)

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

I think I'd prefer the effort to be directed more to having the drawing tools be better than Dundjinni's so I could just skip that step. :)

IMarv

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

LOL! I don't think that was the initial focus for MapTool, but it has certainly moved in that direction!

Return to “Feature Requests”