An Undo that works and "Snap to Grid"

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

mithro
Kobold

An Undo that works and "Snap to Grid"

Post by mithro »

Hello guys,

Maptool seems to be really awesome, but at the moment I'm finding it totally unusable for actually creating a map. My biggest grip is that the undo functionality doesn't seem to work properly. For example, when I'm in the background and I accidentally delete a wall section, Ctrl-Z should put the wall section back where it was. This doesn't seem to work in 1.3.b63 which I'm currently using.

My other request is that there is a way to turn on snap to grid. This would make quickly plonking down walls much quicker as they would all line up perfectly.

The token and macro stuff works really well, it's only the map creation part that Maptool lets me down.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: An Undo that works and "Snap to Grid"

Post by Azhrei »

I believe the undo is only implemented for some sections of the code; I know it works for drawing shapes and textures, but I'm not sure about plopping down images. :(

Regarding the snap-to-grid, you can already do that. When you choose a tool from the toolbar, look at the info message that appears in the statusbar at the bottom left of the window. :) For what you want, you can hold down the Ctrl key.

It sounds like you may not have seen the video tutorials yet. You might try visiting the main site, then clicking the toolbar link for Tutorials. There are a bunch of them, split up into those that players would most likely want to see vs. those that the GM/mapmaker will want to see.

Darinth
Dragon

Post by Darinth »

Having undo working for all actions would, however, be really really nice. I know I've managed to nuke an hour of work because my finger accidentally tapped the touch pad as I was clicking. *_*
Loyalty is not blind, and it cannot be forced. It is a sincere bond formed out of respect and gratitude.

eRaz0r
Cave Troll

Post by eRaz0r »

I'll second that!

1. Undo should either work consistently for everything, or should become unavailable when you've started actions that cannot be undone. For example, if I draw something on the background layer and then start adding background objects (such as drag-in walls), then UNDO should not undo the drawing! IT should either undo the object manipulation, or do nothing at all.

2. IF you have UNDO, then you need REDO. At the very least, if I undo a complex drawing by accident, then I need to be able to redo that operation. If Undo has a kbd shortcut, then Redo needs one too (Ctrl-Y seems to be common).

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

eRaz0r wrote:I'll second that!

1. Undo should either work consistently for everything, or should become unavailable when you've started actions that cannot be undone. For example, if I draw something on the background layer and then start adding background objects (such as drag-in walls), then UNDO should not undo the drawing! IT should either undo the object manipulation, or do nothing at all.
Hmmm. I'm sure overall, something like this might be an improvement ... but I actually find the current oddities of the Undo function quite useful, not for mapmaking, but for mid-game drawing (for example, using the Template Tool for spell area-of-effects). Draw a Burst or a Cone, move some tokens around and run some macros, and still be able to use Undo to erase the template easily when a spells' duration runs out ...
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Darloth
Cave Troll

Post by Darloth »

Per-tool undo would, I think, be the best.

So, switch to the template tool, undo, it undoes the last thing you did with the template tool.

Switch to selection tool, undo, it undoes the last token / object move/delete/whatever you did.

Same with the drawing tools.

Of course that will be somewhat harder to code, but can, in theory, work quite well with the current setup because it can just be encapsulated into drawing undo.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Might not be very intuitive for new users, but it's worth giving it a shot. We'll keep this in mind for 1.4 (though it likely will be late in the cycle).

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

It would be more intuitive if switching the tool would change the undo caption (eg undo (paint) to undo (template)).

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

CoveredInFish wrote:It would be more intuitive if switching the tool would change the undo caption (eg undo (paint) to undo (template)).
Absolutely, can't agree more, you beat me to the punch. +1

Return to “Feature Requests”