[any] Control + O => File Open

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

wyrmwood
Dragon

[any] Control + O => File Open

Post by wyrmwood »

I think I've requested this before, but an accelerator for file open, like the widely used/accepted Ctrl-O would be nice. It's annoying to be forced to use the mouse or the alt-f then O (which is somewhat less effective in java apps - in windows apps, you can hit alt, then f then o, but in java apps, you must hit alt and f at the same time, then o will work, otherwise, nothing happens).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: [any] Control + O => File Open

Post by Azhrei »

I don't see anything else using Meta-O so I'll make the change. I almost never use it though, as the Recent Campaign list is faster.

I would add Meta-1 through Meta-9 as hotkeys for the recent list, but how often does one actually open a campaign file? Ditto for functions like Start Server or Connect to Server -- they just don't get used more than once per MapTool session (in the common case).

This is an option in the language translation file so it's an easy change. Note that "Meta" means Ctrl on Windows and Command on OSX.

wyrmwood
Dragon

Post by wyrmwood »

Many thanks :)

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

@Azhrei-I would use them as I normally leave multiple MapTools running constantly(gotta love Linux!) and do switch between campaigns, especially if I am working on code.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, I'll put in shortcuts for the Recent Campaign list as well then.

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Didn't Meta-1 through Meta-9 used to be hotkeys that you could assign macros too? I prefer that over campaign loading. Especially since I'll never be able to keep track, without looking, of what Campaigns go with what numbers in the Recent Campaigns list.

I guess keys to reload the current campaign (e.g. after setting up a UDF) or the previous campaign could be nice.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm, good point. But then, any key not already assigned to something else can be assigned to a macro. And macros cannot load campaigns so campaign loading is less flexible.

I'm shelving any changes for now (besides Meta-O for Open Campaign...) while the community hashes this out. ;)

Return to “Feature Requests”