Chat only with people on current map

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

KaylaKaze
Cave Troll

Chat only with people on current map

Post by KaylaKaze »

Is it possible (well, easily possible, and I don't see why it wouldn't be), to have an option so that only people on the same map can interact with each other.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Re: Chat only with people on current map

Post by plothos »

One reason that'd be tricky is people can change maps as long as they're visible, and they all would be, presumably, if you have players on them. So to implement this would require a check against owned tokens for all tokens on all maps (every time they try to chat?), which seems unworkable, or some feature that limits who can see which maps. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Azh is focused primarily on bug-fixing atm.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Are you familiar with the Whisper utility, to make it easier to filter who you are Chatting to?
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

prestidigitator
Dragon

Post by prestidigitator »

You could also create a UDF to loop over all PCs on the current map, put together a list of their owners, and whisper to them (possibly adding in GMs, but you might get duplicates if any GM is set as the owner of a PC, since there's no way to check whether some other player is a GM). Then the chat command could look something like:

Code: Select all

[mapSay("Hello guys.  Let's invade that other map and steal all their cheese!")]
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

Return to “Feature Requests”