[something for 1.4bX?] Ruler Notification

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Jade
Giant

[something for 1.4bX?] Ruler Notification

Post by Jade »

Is there a way to make an option (which can be turned on/off in preferences) that notifies everyone anytime someone uses a ruler?

There are some games that require guessing ranges, and so measuring would be cheating. Currently, there's no way of knowing.

What would be even cooler is if it would show how the ruler is being used (much how it currently shows movement). That would probably also be considered less annoying for some.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: [something for 1.4bX?] Ruler Notification

Post by jfrazierjr »

Jade wrote:Is there a way to make an option (which can be turned on/off in preferences) that notifies everyone anytime someone uses a ruler?

There are some games that require guessing ranges, and so measuring would be cheating. Currently, there's no way of knowing.

What would be even cooler is if it would show how the ruler is being used (much how it currently shows movement). That would probably also be considered less annoying for some.
Likely not for 1.4 as we have lots of things to do and a narrow time scope. This is because we are rewriting lots of the internal code. The most likely solution will be a permission system that will blanket deny certain actions when we get around to this.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Jade
Giant

Post by Jade »

I don't need the ability to disable people using the ruler, just some sort of notification about it. A visual representation on everyone's screen (just like you get when someone moves a piece) would be excellent.

KaylaKaze
Cave Troll

Post by KaylaKaze »

I did this in a hacked up version of Maptool I did a few years ago for Warmachine. It only took like a line of code (though it'd take a little more to make it switchable).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I have plans for a more comprehensive permission scheme that would allow the GM to turn on/off various features of the application. It probably won't make it into 1.4 as that's primarily focused on re-architecting the application, but in 1.5/2.0.

Return to “Feature Requests”