Chat Logs with Token Portraits

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Altrunchen
Giant

Chat Logs with Token Portraits

Post by Altrunchen »

I tried to check and see if this has already been requested on these forums but I'm fairly sure it hasn't yet. If it has then I'm sorry to bring this up again. But if it hasn't then I'll just get right into it:

Basic Idea:
The ability to export chat-logs with the token portraits present.

Purpose:
Mostly an aesthetic purpose honestly, but it might help make chat logs a bit more fun to read if you can also see the token portrait that goes along with them.

Implementation Motivation:
Roll20 has chat-logs with the token portraits included. The problem is that the chat log is absolutely everything ever said in the campaign. Which is...daunting to have to read. Since Maptool only exports the chat log from the session (which makes things easier to read) perhaps this might help level the playing field a bit?

---

But yeah, if this is already a feature, has already been suggested and shot down, or anything like that then would anyone be willing and able to let me know how to do it even if maptool isn't set up to do it out of the box?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Chat Logs with Token Portraits

Post by aliasmask »

I do this in my campaigns with a custom frame I have players do their in-game chat through. I also use it to post room descriptions and villain dialog. It's integrated with my lib token and has other special needs, but recent changes may allow me to tweak it to use an MT table. It's a part of my lib:players token. But currently it's not very portable. If you want to tackle the changes needed I could post my relevant code. Taking a quick look, it's pretty simple to update the way it saves the data since I make things modular. I do have a stripped down version of it as well as the lib file here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 43#p225543

This is an older file, but I don't think I've change anything with the chat transcripts since I created it.

Altrunchen
Giant

Re: Chat Logs with Token Portraits

Post by Altrunchen »

aliasmask wrote:I do this in my campaigns with a custom frame I have players do their in-game chat through. I also use it to post room descriptions and villain dialog. It's integrated with my lib token and has other special needs, but recent changes may allow me to tweak it to use an MT table. It's a part of my lib:players token. But currently it's not very portable. If you want to tackle the changes needed I could post my relevant code. Taking a quick look, it's pretty simple to update the way it saves the data since I make things modular. I do have a stripped down version of it as well as the lib file here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 43#p225543

This is an older file, but I don't think I've change anything with the chat transcripts since I created it.
I think a client-side solution could be very handy and practical and I'll have to take a look-see at what you have made. But one has to wonder how difficult this would be to implement into the base program itself. I mean right now the program outputs the text as an html file complete with colors and formatting. But what I'd like to know is what would it require for the base program to also display the portraits too?

I'm no programming expert honestly. But I think that if you had some kind of embedded code that would store the token IDs, token names, and the maps they were on when they posted, then you could use it to retrieve their portraits, reference it in the html code for the chat log, and then have the chat logs with portraits next to them.

While a client solution exists, if it works well enough then why not implement it into the software so that people needn't go hunting in the forums for it? And let's not forget that the other part of the idea is that there'd be a way to toggle this setting. So you wouldn't have to have chatlogs with images in them if you didn't want them.

I dunno, just a thought.

Return to “Feature Requests”