[1.4.1.x] Simplified Interaction Mode for PCs

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Laggytoes
Kobold

[1.4.1.x] Simplified Interaction Mode for PCs

Post by Laggytoes »

The idea is pretty simple, a client mode that only allows PCs to:
*move their own tokens
*zoom in and out
*use the measuring/ruler function

All functionality requiring right-click, etc, would be disabled (no macros, no nothin'). It would essentially be a tool for PCs to just move tokens on the map as the GM wants it displayed.

Why would anybody want that, you ask?

Well, I want it because I have a 27-inch touchscreen, using Windows 10, embedded in a table which my players use to interact with their tokens. Everything else is pen, paper, and real dice. Right-click functionality gets activated a fair amount since touch features in Windows 10 aren't great (well, not as great/fluid as, say, iOS), so it can take a few taps to get your token sometimes. Those extra taps can evoke other functionality they aren't trying to evoke which can get frustrating.

Maptools is, by far and away, the best tool that current exists that plays nice with the touchscreen (nothing else really works as elegantly and I've tried EVERYTHING as far as I can figure), so I think this would be a pretty useful feature for not only me but, I suspect, A LOT of users trying setups like these in-person, based on my internet searches. These sorts of setups will become more common as touchscreens are becoming cheaper, I bet, and no tool I'm aware of is really trying to support that kind of playstyle. My two cents anyway.

Regardless, thanks to everybody who works on this tool, there are definitely some prettier/snazzier looking tools out there, but they just aren't the kind of workhorse that Maptool is. Keep up the great work, whether this feature makes it the dev list or not.

bobifle
Giant

Re: [1.4.1.x] Simplified Interaction Mode for PCs

Post by bobifle »

This subject has been discussed many times on the forum, meaning you're not the only one who had this request.

Devs have been quite clear about it, that it won't happen (they were addressing the android/touchscreen/tablets support).
Your suggested mode is too much of a niche I guess, a touchscreen mode only for PCs... Maybe it would be very cheap to implement, I have no idea...

However if you're willing to drop the touchscreen thing, there's the cheap wireless mice solution. Your players will have access to all MT features. They would be able to set their state for instance and alleviate some work for you. The precision of the mouse + all the contextual menus.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Also, if they have the full window (Ctrl-Alt-Enter) they can only see the map and tokens and can zoom in and out... no macros. Well, they do get the right-click menu and can access macros on their token.

Laggytoes
Kobold

Post by Laggytoes »

I didn't know the full window option hide macros, that's super helpful. I do also have a wireless mouse, but obviously the touchscreen is the dream. :)

Regardless, thanks for the responses. There are ways to disable the right-click function in Windows itself, I don't know if that will have any impact on zoom, etc, but it looks like that's the first thing I should be trying.

Laggytoes
Kobold

Post by Laggytoes »

Also, as a fellow who works IN software professionally, I can understand not wanting to open the pandoras box of supporting and focusing on touchscreens, even if it is cheap/simple to do because simple in software is never simple and always requires support of weird edge cases. You often have to make choices about product direction and this sounds like one of them which is okay!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I would not say such a thing has definitely been ruled out but certainly would not be touched until after the application has been migrated to Javafx.

As a GM I would like the ability to turn player menu options on or off. But that won't happen with the current UI

Return to “Feature Requests”