Animated Maps and/or Objects Integration

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Aeanos
Kobold

Animated Maps and/or Objects Integration

Post by Aeanos »

Hello,

Given the rise of animated maps from companies like Dynamic Dungeons, I thought it would be a good time to revisit the adding of animated materials to MapTool. Namely, has any progress happened to make the inclusion of gifs or videos viable, yet? I've searched through the forums, but I haven't seen anything about it since ~2016.

That said, if we still can't get animated gifs or videos to work within the system as a map or object, perhaps we could get a new map type that simply turns the map area transparent, instead? That way, we could still use the grid, tokens, etc., as an overlay, and simply have the animated elements running behind the MapTool window.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Animated Maps and/or Objects Integration

Post by Full Bleed »

I broached this topic last year and it got a little interest from some of the current developers: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=27655
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Jamz prototyped something, he showcased a video playing as background, some sort of animated map.
I don't know what he's up to currently. I think he may be working on integrating JavaFx. I think JavaFx would be a prereq for videos, and it's a huge task so don't expect anything soon.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

If it happens it will be dependent upon completing the conversion to JavaFX for the GUI of MT. Work is underway on the JavaFX conversion but it's still going to be a ways out.

JoeDuncan
Giant

Post by JoeDuncan »

Aeanos wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:21 pm
That said, if we still can't get animated gifs or videos to work within the system as a map or object, perhaps we could get a new map type that simply turns the map area transparent, instead? That way, we could still use the grid, tokens, etc., as an overlay, and simply have the animated elements running behind the MapTool window.
Not GIF or video based, but maybe it will do for you:

Intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjv6eXpKZU8

Background Animations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0wxCqpEGaw
"Joe's Ugly Hacks - Get 'em while their hot! Guaranteed ugliest hacks around or your money back!"

Return to “Feature Requests”