Hide properties to players on owned tokens (1.5.2)

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

Merudo
Giant

Hide properties to players on owned tokens (1.5.2)

Post by Merudo »

Is there a way to prevent players from seeing/editing properties of tokens they have ownership of?

It would stop players from messing up with the properties accidentally, and prevent players from cheating by adding macro calls in their properties.

For example, if a crafty player wants to teleport their token to (10,5), they can just change their HP from 12 (say) to

Code: Select all

[h:moveToken(10,5)][r:12]
A symbol could be set in Edit/ Campaign Properties / Token Properties to prevent the players from seeing a given property.

If not possible, it would be nice to have an option to outright disable the "Properties" tab for non-GM players.
Last edited by Merudo on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Hide properties to players on owned tokens

Post by taustinoc »

Perhaps you could write an initiative macro that assigns ownership to the proper player so they can move the token while you keep an eye on things, then takes it away when it moves on to the next token. A poor substitute, but possibly workable.

You can also create properties with a macro, and these do not appear in the token Properties window. That has the advantage of keeping the players from tinkering with properties, and the disadvantage of keeping the gamemaster from doing the same, except through macros. You'd have to build a custom properties page to go with it all.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

MapTool is a shared environment. I wouldn't try to make a video game out of it.

Merudo
Giant

Post by Merudo »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:28 pm
MapTool is a shared environment. I wouldn't try to make a video game out of it.
Why not give the option to the GM? If there is a way to prevent cheating, why not prevent it?

And more importantly, preventing players from messing up with their properties can avoid a lot of bugs and issues.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Hide properties to players on owned tokens (1.5.2)

Post by Full Bleed »

Merudo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:56 pm
A symbol could be set in Edit/ Campaign Properties / Token Properties to prevent the players from seeing a given property.
I think you need to refine this request a bit.

What you want is the ability to have GM only properties in the Token Type list. However, I don't think they should be tagged with statsheet tags though. They would need their own sub-tree/list that only GM's can see. And probably will need get/setGMProperty() functions.

This *would*, however, create two kinds of "hidden" properties on tokens: 1) Those set by Token Type property lists and 2) those set by Wiki: setProperty() that aren't in the Token Type property lists. I suspect that will likely be confusing to some users even though it's perfect understandable that you might want some hidden properties that are on every token of a certain type and still want the ability to have unique hidden properties that aren't list dependent.

But, regardless, I *do* think that GM's should be able to see and add "hidden" properties on a token through the Edit/Properties tab. Right now, we have to use the RPEdit drop-in to see them... and, frankly, not being able to see and edit them more easily without a player made drop-in is a significant oversight in the program.
If not possible, it would be nice to have an option to outright disable the "Properties" tab for non-GM players.
This is probably the path of least resistance to handle the bigger issue of protecting all token properties from player meddling. But I actually think it's a separate feature request that only accomplishes part of what having better "hidden property" support/management in MT would provide.

That said, I support BOTH of these feature requests.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Wrong Tool. RPEdit just copies and updates macros. Token Manager messes with the properties. ;)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:23 pm
Wrong Tool. RPEdit just copies and updates macros. Token Manager messes with the properties. ;)
Ah, yes. I access both from the same place... I consider both fairly essential tools filling large gaps in core MT functionality... so my assertions still stand. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

In terms of wish list items, it might be useful to look at the model used by cloud services like Google Drive. When you share a document, you can set it so that the person it is shared with can view only, or edit.

So in my fantasy utopia, maybe there would be a pair of check boxes next to each line in the Properties window, one for "player/owner can view" and another for "player/owner can edit." (A dropdown would work, too, but it would take up more screen space.)

No idea how practical that would be to do, though.

Return to “Feature Requests”